• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch covers and CGC

7 posts in this topic

My question is rather simple. When getting a sketch cover from an artist does the CGC grade really matter? I ask because the blank cover being sketched on is relatively valueless so why does it matter if it is a 9.6 or 9.8 when it is the sketch that holds the value? I realize in art condition matters as well but I would imagine a minuscule nick on the corner of the book wold not impact the value of the art itself.

If this question has been previously answers I do apologize. I did not find a similar question (although I may have missed it).

Does it matter for what? Selling it? Collecting it?

Condition might matter to some, but if it is within the 'normal' condition range and not torn up, water damaged, crumpled, coffee stained etc I don't think it matters too much. The main focus is typically the sketch, not the comic, but again, collectors are all different.

I don’t collect slabs or sketch covers so I am out of my depth but I think both are important and it is a combination of both and when a 9.8 intersects with some really great art it appeals to both sketch cover collector types (those who lean more toward art and those who lean more toward grade). If you are buying for yourself with no consideration for future sale the grade shouldn’t matter if the art presents really well. Then again if grade is unimportant, why are you getting it slabbed at all?

The grade shouldn't matter. What should matter the most is the authentication, especially for heavy hitter artists like Frank Miller or a legend who rarely does the con sketch. I will say that a friend of mine hits the con circuit for paid sketches on blank covers and he tends to be obsessive about having them slabbed, with a hope that they turn out 9.8. Don't know why he cares. So I guess it does matter for some.

I just bought my first sketch cover and will be getting it slabbed. My thought process was mainly for presentation (as it is a wraparound piece) and authentication. I could care less about the grade, personally, as the book is just an annual, but that matters to some, so the higher the better i guess in that regards lol