• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

Just badly worded.  In most cases when you buy the more expensive director's cut you also get the other versions included in some format included at that higher price point.

Now where this was handled poorly was that X-Men: Days of Future Past Rogue's Cut. They just held off finalizing alternate scenes, and re-released the blu-ray edition so people had to purchase YET AGAIN close to the same movie.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Now where this was handled poorly was that X-Men: Days of Future Past Rogue's Cut. They just held off finalizing alternate scenes, and re-released the blu-ray edition so people had to purchase YET AGAIN close to the same movie.

Only extended i have ever purchased were the Lord of the Rings movies. They were a separate stand alone purchase. But, Peter Jackson spent a lot of time and money on footage never intended for the theatrical release. The new footage was polished to theater standards, so to me it justified the higher cost.  Granted, I only bought the extended.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

Only extended i have ever purchased were the Lord of the Rings movies. They were a separate stand alone purchase. But, Peter Jackson spent a lot of time and money on footage never intended for the theatrical release. The new footage was polished to theater standards, so to me it justified the higher cost.  Granted, I only bought the extended.

There is a film site that compares differences between Theatrical Cuts to Director's Cuts. It's interesting sometimes to see what pieces of a scene were sliced down, and at times making a difference.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

There is a film site that compares differences between Theatrical Cuts to Director's Cuts. It's interesting sometimes to see what pieces of a scene were sliced down, and at times making a difference.

Come on Bosco, do I need to ask for a link?  Making a statement like that should be automatic link posting!

:smile:

On 11/29/2017 at 2:54 PM, seanfingh said:

I saw JL on Saturday. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I enjoyed it, at times quite a bit. 5/10 for me.

The major problem for me  was simple:  Batman.  In cosmic storylines (especially Darkseid related) the only way the Batman works is if he is a nearly perfect combo of the World's Greatest Detective and the World's Toughest Man. Otherwise, he is just a bag of flesh that would get liquified by the other players.  Seeing him fumble and flail about, not even being able to find Cyborg was sad and stupid.  He should have found them instantaneously, forced them to join, using intimidation, blackmail or whatever is necessary. They all hate but grudgingly admire Batman, giving them all a reason to band together to keep an eye on him, because he is so scarily ahead of them on everything.  Batman's intellectual superiority becomes the one thing that softens the edges of this dark world, the humor and the pathos can all be generated easily by having a genius-level detective/strategist Batman (it's how Morrison was able to have a thrilling Darkseid arc in his 1997 JLA run).

So it is not about Affleck's delivering a weak, ineffectual, bumbling Batman, it is about the --script not providing the Batman this movie deserved.

Problem is, most people don't want a "detective" Batman anymore. Look at all the movies, only the first one had him doing any detective work on finding what triggered the Joker's grin poison. They want action.

9 hours ago, bane said:

The Abyss - the extra scenes made sooooo much more sense at the end then the theatrical version.

Yeah this was one of my favorite films before the director's cut came out, after the cut came out I can't even watch the other version. I spoke with the special effects person who worked on the film and even he said the scene they cut made no sense to cut because even in the theatrical version that scene gets referenced near the end where the audience is wondering what they are talking about.

29 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Yeah this was one of my favorite films before the director's cut came out, after the cut came out I can't even watch the other version. I spoke with the special effects person who worked on the film and even he said the scene they cut made no sense to cut because even in the theatrical version that scene gets referenced near the end where the audience is wondering what they are talking about.

The 4 hour cut of Dances With Wolves is another one. (thumbsu 

Discovered the Director's Cut of The Good, Bad and The Ugly last year too.

I used to be a fan of Director's Cuts, but realized most of the time they are just cash grabs. Most of the time they are unnecessary or you don't even notice the 15 seconds to 10 minutes added.

13 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.

The Director's Cut turned an unwatchable mess into a glorious movie.

Yes, unbelievable how good the DC is. The Kingdom of Heaven Ultimate Edition Blu-ray can be had on Amazon for around 8 USD and contains all three versions:

Theatrical release

Extended Directors Cut

Roadshow Extended Directors Cut 

The Abyss is another film transformed by the DC with a huge impact on the finale. 

Edited by Reader

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'd love to see the directors cut of Alien 3

It is a superior version of the film but you have to overlook the rough CGI effects. Some of the work-print scenes they spliced back in are very grainy and noisy with no attempt at polish. The cool thing is they brought back in some of the original actors to record lines for the 2010 release. 

I do prefer how the Alien is born in this version (not from a dog). 

EDIT: I read that they did indeed go back and cleaned up the Directors Cut of Alien 3 so the workprint roughs were polished up. 

Edited by Reader

I had no idea it existed 

i often wondered about kingdom of heaven. I didn’t know it had a directors cut. I saw the film and felt like it wasn’t right. I’m going to watch it soon. 

57 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yes, unbelievable how good the DC is. The Kingdom of Heaven Ultimate Edition Blu-ray can be had on Amazon for around 8 USD and contains all three versions:

Theatrical release

Extended Directors Cut

The Abyss is another film transformed by the DC which a huge impact on the finale. 

Purchased KOH based on the reviews here and amazon 

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

1 hour ago, Reader said:

It is a superior version of the film but you have to overlook the rough CGI effects. Some of the work-print scenes they spliced back in are very grainy and noisy with no attempt at polish. The cool thing is they brought back in some of the original actors to record lines for the 2010 release. 

I do prefer how the Alien is born in this version (not from a dog). 

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Theatrical release

Extended Directors Cut

The Abyss is another film transformed by the DC with a huge impact on the finale. 

So glad this demonstrates some of these Director Cuts can be superior to theatrical releases, making it worth the purchase.

:wink:

Now too bad the studios didn’t realize this from the beginning.

Another one is The Eagle with Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell, Donald Sutherland and Mark Strong. Roman Empire period piece that I found the director’s cut to make a big improvement. And worth the watch.

13 minutes ago, Reader said:

I liked The Eagle, and was not aware there was a DC. I’m off to order that version right now.

It will appear as the Unrated Cut. With all the battle scenes, you realize why.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It will appear as the Unrated Cut. With all the battle scenes, you realize why.

Looking forward to it. Didn’t you or I start a Directors Cut thread years ago? Listing good versions and differences? My old account is dead but I’m going search for it.