• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Good Morty

24 posts in this topic

The purpose of this article written today is to educate others out there the differences between a real Good Morty comic book and a fake Good Morty comic book. I'm watching people purchase these fake Good Morty comic books on ebay for $180-$350. As evidenced by the rest of this website, and as a true Rick and Morty fan, a diehard fan, I cannot keep watching this unfold as the weeks go by! 

http://www.kaptainmyke.com/comics/goodmorty/goodmorty.htm

The topic is covered and has links later in the thread--- around November 2 2017 by @KaptainMyke

Edited by 01TheDude

I actually own a real one...got it back in December 2014 for christmas from my brother.  I know that Justin Roiland is making an appearance at C2E2 in March and I wanted to bring my copy to get witnessed and graded...Can anyone from CGC confirm or deny that your company won't grade them.  I have proof that mine is real as well.  I mod another very popular comic book site and i added not only the shell for the book, but also fully indexed it on the site (which anyone can see for themselves the history of the editing) all done back in Dec 14...oh lol and the scan used for that shell was my actual book, because i couldnt find any full cover scans online at the time...

p.s. i have also since then added the comments about the fake ones and posted them as variants for people to view...there are actually 4 different versions now i believe i have been made aware of.  3 being real and 1 being fake...2014 version, 2014 signed version, 2017 Australian version are real.

Edited by AmZoMBiE
add info

11 hours ago, AmZoMBiE said:

I actually own a real one...got it back in December 2014 for christmas from my brother.  I know that Justin Roiland is making an appearance at C2E2 in March and I wanted to bring my copy to get witnessed and graded...Can anyone from CGC confirm or deny that your company won't grade them.  I have proof that mine is real as well.  I mod another very popular comic book site and i added not only the shell for the book, but also fully indexed it on the site (which anyone can see for themselves the history of the editing) all done back in Dec 14...oh lol and the scan used for that shell was my actual book, because i couldnt find any full cover scans online at the time...

p.s. i have also since then added the comments about the fake ones and posted them as variants for people to view...there are actually 4 different versions now i believe i have been made aware of.  3 being real and 1 being fake...2014 version, 2014 signed version, 2017 Australian version are real.

Just call CGC and ask (shrug)

On 12/2/2017 at 8:58 PM, tray night said:

Hello guys, quick question....I heard that the mini comic book "The Good Morty" want be graded by CGC. Do anyone have any info on this topic?

Here's an email that I received from CGC customer service after I just submitted my authentic copy.  This email was received this week.

Thank you for your recent submission. Upon further processing the following book(s) has been identified as not eligible for grading and encapsulation services.

The Good Morty #nn

After much research and discussion, CGC has decided that we will not grade The Good Morty "chick tract" mini comic. We are fully aware of all of the versions that exist, but are unable to confirm all versions' origin. Due to DVD's and Blu Rays packaging and inserts being manufactured all over the world, it's impossible to identify a particular version as a "fake", when in actuality if could have just been printed in a different facility.

We will, however, be allowing this book to be submitted under our Signature Series Celebrity/Sketch service for copies that have been signed and witnessed. This service does not grade the book itself, but will authenticate the signature(s), and will encapsulate the mini comic into our sketch holder for preservation.

This book(s) will be returned to you raw as is and all grading charges for the item(s) will be reversed as credit to your account.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

Here's an email that I received from CGC customer service after I just submitted my authentic copy.  This email was received this week.

Thank you for your recent submission. Upon further processing the following book(s) has been identified as not eligible for grading and encapsulation services.

The Good Morty #nn

After much research and discussion, CGC has decided that we will not grade The Good Morty "chick tract" mini comic. We are fully aware of all of the versions that exist, but are unable to confirm all versions' origin. Due to DVD's and Blu Rays packaging and inserts being manufactured all over the world, it's impossible to identify a particular version as a "fake", when in actuality if could have just been printed in a different facility.

We will, however, be allowing this book to be submitted under our Signature Series Celebrity/Sketch service for copies that have been signed and witnessed. This service does not grade the book itself, but will authenticate the signature(s), and will encapsulate the mini comic into our sketch holder for preservation.

This book(s) will be returned to you raw as is and all grading charges for the item(s) will be reversed as credit to your account.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

If they're not grading it due to their inability to authenticate, shouldn't they eat the shipping fees as well?

On 12/6/2017 at 4:49 PM, ygogolak said:

That sounds exactly like the other guys recent issue with fake art. Grading the signature only gives a false impression to a consumer.

I don't understand where you come up with the idea of false impression. By not grading it, CGC relinquishes any responsibility of supplying grading to counterfeit copies. I think it helps the consumer not be the victim of fraud. They authenticate a signature through witnessing. So the signature only is the part that is authentic, not whatever is being signed. 

Edited by Philflound

On 12/5/2017 at 9:10 PM, AmZoMBiE said:

Just FYI, I saw on facebook that C2E2 announced Roiland will not be attending due to Rick and Morty scheduling.. :mad:

8 hours ago, Philflound said:

I don't understand where you come up with the idea of false impression. By not grading it, CGC relinquishes any responsibility of supplying grading to counterfeit copies. I think it helps the consumer not be the victim of fraud. They authenticate a signature through witnessing. So the signature only is the part that is authentic, not whatever is being signed. 

CGC said they will verify the signature and encapsulate it. Thus giving the impression to the unknowing consumer that it's legit.

Unless I misinterpreted something.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

CGC said they will verify the signature and encapsulate it. Thus giving the impression to the unknowing consumer that it's legit.

Unless I misinterpreted something.

We will, however, be allowing this book to be submitted under our Signature Series Celebrity/Sketch service for copies that have been signed and witnessed.

Copies witnessed are eligible. The 250 or whatever that were signed and inserted are not. Only future signed copies will be slabbed like they do for only signatures. There is no grade or certification number assigned to these items as they are not in the comic database.

Edited by Philflound

16 minutes ago, Philflound said:

We will, however, be allowing this book to be submitted under our Signature Series Celebrity/Sketch service for copies that have been signed and witnessed.

Copies witnessed are eligible. The 250 or whatever that were signed and inserted are not. Only future signed copies will be slabbed like they do for only signatures. There is no grade or certification number assigned to these items as they are not in the comic database.

Right, you're assuming every person that would buy one knows the backstory about this book.

33 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Right, you're assuming every person that would buy one knows the backstory about this book.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm telling you the decision was made, it was announced publicly what that decision was, and what more can CGC do to give the public knowledge that they aren't going to grade these books? There are many books that are submitted to CGC that are rejected for one reason or another. Too big to fit in the holder, too thick, doesn't fit the criteria for being a comic, too brittle, etc. CGC isn't responsible for everything sent in. 

I think there would be more of an uproar of complaints of people finding out CGC slabbed fake copies of a comic and the customers paid big money versus a few who sent them in and had to eat shipping cost.

Edited by Philflound

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

I'm not assuming anything. I'm telling you the decision was made, it was announced publicly what that decision was, and what more can CGC do to give the public knowledge that they aren't going to grade these books? There are many books that are submitted to CGC that are rejected for one reason or another. Too big to fit in the holder, too thick, doesn't fit the criteria for being a comic, too brittle, etc. CGC isn't responsible for everything sent in. 

I think there would be more of an uproar of complaints of people finding out CGC slabbed fake copies of a comic and the customers paid big money versus a few who sent them in and had to eat shipping cost.

And that is why I made my original statement about comparing to other companies recent problems. They claimed to do the exact same thing.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

And that is why I made my original statement about comparing to other companies recent problems. They claimed to do the exact same thing.

I read the article on Bleeding Cool. Not sure what happened with the whole Liefeld thing. I saw there was fake art that was supposed to be done by Liefeld. If they were saying the signature was authentic when it wasn't, then they were lying as I couldn't see Liefeld signing a piece of art that was a poorer copy of his original. CGC just witnesses the artist signing the item and says that the signature is real. That is all. They can sign a napkin and it would all be the same.

15 hours ago, Philflound said:

I read the article on Bleeding Cool. Not sure what happened with the whole Liefeld thing. I saw there was fake art that was supposed to be done by Liefeld. If they were saying the signature was authentic when it wasn't, then they were lying as I couldn't see Liefeld signing a piece of art that was a poorer copy of his original. CGC just witnesses the artist signing the item and says that the signature is real. That is all. They can sign a napkin and it would all be the same.

I assumed the scenario was:

1. Person gets Liefeld to sign book

2. Person draws fake sketch

3. Person submits book to other company for "authentication" (which we now know only means authentication of the signature)

Edited by miraclemet

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I assumed the scenario was:

1. Person gets Liefeld to sign book

2. Person draws fake sketch

3. Person submits book to other company for "authentication" (which we now know only means authentication of the signature)

It's not a book but "original art".  I doubt he'd sign a blank sheet. in the exact spot the original art has his signature.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/

Edited by Philflound

I have a Rick and Morty Season 1 DVD still sealed with the “Comic Book Inside!” sticker on it. If I was to send that to CGC and let them open it, they still wouldn’t grade the comic book?

Edited by rpcgc
Typo