• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please allow me to vent about grader notes...

23 posts in this topic

Recently sent off a 9.8 to get signed. Dropped a grade when it came back. Tried to look up the graders' notes but none were available.

CGC, if you're going to ding grades, especially in this sort of situation, the least you could do is tell me WHY the book dropped in grade. There should be a quantifiable reason why a former 9.8 dropped a grade. Looking through the slab, the comic looks as picture perfect as the day I sent it away, so there was no damage throughout the entire process of getting it done.

Also, why lose out on the $5? You force us to pay for this information. Apparently you're hurting yourselves by not making them available.

Is this a way to drum up business for the CCS?

While I'm at it, it makes no sense why I have to pay $10 for Golden Age notes and $5 for Modern.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Recently sent off a 9.8 to get signed. Dropped a grade when it came back. Tried to look up the graders' notes but none were available.

CGC, if you're going to ding grades, especially in this sort of situation, the least you could do is tell me WHY the book dropped in grade. There should be a quantifiable reason why a former 9.8 dropped a grade. Looking through the slab, the comic looks as picture perfect as the day I sent it away, so there was no damage throughout the entire process of getting it done.

Also, why lose out on the $5? You force us to pay for this information. Apparently you're hurting yourselves by not making them available.

While I concur with your comments, in all fairness, CGC does not know the book is a former 9.8 when they are assigning the grade. Hence, they do not know the book dropped a grade. Also, the grader's notes are now free to the submitter. You didn't mention the genre of the book but 9.6 Moderns are often not given any notes. Not saying that's right, just saying.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Got to agree with you. I have always hated how they are not required to add notes. I can sometimes understand if a 9.6 does not have notes, but I have heard of people getting a book back as low as 8.0 without notes. The answer people always give in defense it that "there is probably some obvious defect and thus there shouldn't be notes"....that is a load of BS if you are asking me. Yes there may be obvious defects to those who have been collecting for years, but there are also a lot of people who are not proficient graders and do not notice these "obvious" defects. Not to mention when we pay for a service there should be more consistency. Either way, I agree with you and my rant is done.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

While I concur with your comments, in all fairness, CGC does not know the book is a former 9.8 when they are assigning the grade. Hence, they do not know the book dropped a grade.

This is true, but not really relevant if they consistently grade each new submission with a standard in mind, which is part of that you're paying for.

My main argument is that there should be a notable flaw to bring a book down from 9.8 to 9.6.

I know the differences in 9.9s and 10s are so close that it can almost go on a "feeling" but the drop from NM/MT to NM+ should definitely be explained.

The notes should simply exist.

Having to pay for them is an entirely different point.

I just wish I had the option!

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I almost never get grading notes on 9.6 books and seldom get notes on 9.4s (especially moderns).  Was the book in a 9.8 older case?

Interesting. I'd say I get them more often than not, which is why this is a surprise.

The case was the generation before the current one.

The 9.6 in question just came back in a fresh case and was recently graded.

Edited by newshane

here's a thought-- add something to the submission form that requests the grader include notes on why the grade was given-- i.e. identify the flaws they saw present. They could charge a nominal fee for that purpose. If people opted not to request-- the normal process would still be used with the grader notes being added on the whim of the grader.

Even better-- make it a little more detailed in terms of how much that defect impacted the grade (wishful thinking probably).

If I were a slab collector-- it would bother me not knowing certain things-- especially if the problems where inside the book.

For CGC-- perhaps an additional source of revenue to justify the time spent detailing any issues.

For the submitter-- understanding of the grade given.

Seems like a win win== though the TATs might get excessive.

31 minutes ago, newshane said:

Interesting. I'd say I get them more often than not, which is why this is a surprise.

Thanks for the info.  Some people call it hogwash but from what I've seen the graders doing the grading for the last generation of slabs were a bit (or a lot depending how you look at it) looser then the current guys.  I hear a lot of these stories on Facebook where guys crack out a older slab and get back a SS 9.6 when they had a nice 9.8.

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the info.  Some people call it hogwash but from what I've seen the graders doing the grading for the last generation of slabs were a bit (or a lot depending how you look at it) looser then the current guys.  I hear a lot of these stories on Facebook where guys crack out a older slab and get back a SS 9.6 when they had a nice 9.8.

Yes. I noticed a "kind" period several years ago. I can also admit that I examined the book through the slab prior to submission, and it was what I'd call a "soft" 9.8 - right on the borderline but well within the bounds of what usually passes for a modern 9.8. In other words, I spotted no defects that in my opinion would bring the grade down like it did. I have a lot of confidence in my grading ability at these levels.

It's still a gorgeous book and still a 9.8 in my eyes.

It's not always about the label, but it aggravates my collector's OCD.

I'd just like to hear from the CGC so I can see if we're seeing the same things.

2 hours ago, newshane said:

I've had books come back in the 7.0 - 8.5 range with no notes.  Go figure.

5 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I'd be ok If they were only free with a paid memberships.

That's an excellent point, I can understand not being free to everybody, but making it free for anyone who has a paid membership makes sense to me. Its also another marketing tool they can use to build their membership numbers.

I had a buddy have a Batman 2 CGC blue 5.0 I believe. He cracked book out thought it should be higher grade than sent book back for an upgrade and it came back 3.5. (shrug) .I bought the book from him for what he paid since I thought it was a 4.5 to 5.0 top's.

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

I've had books come back in the 7.0 - 8.5 range with no notes.  Go figure.

Did they look like 9.6s or 8.0s?

3 hours ago, newshane said:

This is true, but not really relevant if they consistently grade each new submission with a standard in mind, which is part of that you're paying for.

You're asking different graders over the course of years to be consistent to a single grade (even with a constant standard). I don't imagine any of us individually is capable of that. Sure, maybe you can look at a raw book and as much as 9 times out of 10 be accurate in your estimation of a CGC grade, but 10% of the time someone is going to disagree.