• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

After the 1974 convention Marvel even did an issue set in San Diego and at the Con. Remember?

768410BF-97E6-4C26-B2D7-988E3D43EA70.thumb.jpeg.e885df79e94b1e72cf3d5ad70a5add86.jpeg

I remember buying that off the stands and wishing I could go. 1978 was my first year to go to San Diego. I was 15. My dad knew how bad I wanted to go, bought me a plane ticket and I flew there on my own.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

The pics from the old conventions are great, but it'd be great to get some explanation of who the people are (not the creators, but the other people).  If they're identified by name from pictures over 4 decades old, I get the feeling they're well known enough that I should know who they are, but actually I have no idea for many of them. 

Well I assume you weren’t talking about the likes of Charles Schultz (Peanuts) or Frank Capra (It’s a Wonderful Life) but I can help with a few.

The Schanes brothers owned Pacific Comics which was First a comics dealer with multiple stores and later a publisher of comics introducing the world to Groo, Rocketeer, etc. and really the place Dave Stevens (also a San Diego resident at one time) came into his own. Their distribution system also played into the early direct sales  market before Diamond and Geppi.

DFDE42B0-0440-42D8-93BE-63819FEE1DA8.thumb.jpeg.2380f1ec9d4cdff16c259d05254a35cb.jpegCA44F552-BF0D-4534-B602-3E70F43A1FAD.jpeg.758517656db9d853688eb598b5e3cf2c.jpeg9D8DB8FE-98FF-4A1C-8997-EB83AF10A325.jpeg.441b388fd5147323b3d76ff59b619760.jpeg9603C10B-F4D8-4CF8-BB4C-49A4ED89F606.jpeg.76de29d72cac9d760c7479b367e5abe0.jpeg296A69AA-F35D-4DDC-BC50-2E51EBE66775.jpeg.9a73b308f146417c202b36213fd32da8.jpegF090A7FE-F1F0-49EB-B3ED-39963478925E.jpeg.f365da7733b71ae8ba8d071800ce1169.jpegE9619F79-B7AE-4F25-BDB4-4F1B36D106BC.jpeg.1d66df25ccca2bef5f35771050b6c261.jpeg3EC8938D-AD31-41C5-AA62-E506BBB4882D.jpeg.3d419f5c806c91fb8eea6040447ffe85.jpeg9A42D7DD-7731-4BC2-98E0-745D11900261.thumb.jpeg.412bcd78dd3f993f44b86d1eba6c0704.jpeg79FB9394-423F-44BC-842F-2232ED3E8528.jpeg.b7e5193959c9f1173564eaeb2f438cb1.jpegD49E0EFB-D763-40D9-ACDD-B381DE524DC8.thumb.jpeg.d21dafe9d353131fa41b6bcba65c0e07.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

So, did you write to that Senate committee? hm

No...I thought YOU were going to do it...

I did, but then the FBI came by to interview my parents. :whatthe:

17 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I remember buying that off the stands and wishing I could go. 1978 was my first year to go to San Diego. I was 15. My dad knew how bad I wanted to go, bought me a plane ticket and I flew there on my own.

You wouldn’t have liked the 74’ anyway. With the Black Lama and Death Squad running around there were laser blasts everywhere with people running and screaming. It was complete chaos. Then Iron Man shows up wearing that stupid nose. You do remember the iron nose job run, right?

More info on attendees from the past:

99E10D83-FEA9-4E4C-9B12-1BE1EEC6508A.thumb.jpeg.240de6947ad8404eb7b63f9a8c83ff0c.jpegA5D2DF88-357A-48AB-A791-0BDB72ADDCC1.thumb.jpeg.0cbcde31e2bf18c05b141b17c530745c.jpeg

From Mark Evanier’s blog (12/02/2008)

Rick, who passed away around fifteen years ago, claimed to have started this whole business of paying real money for real old comics. As the story went, he walked one day into Cherokee, which specialized in rare antiquarian books of other kinds. There, he met Jack and/or Burt and offered cash for perfect condition copies of Golden Age Comics. Soon, the store was locating them and in the process, it developed a client list of buyers like Rick who built huge collections — in some cases for investment; in others, to recapture their childhoods. The Durell Collection — I have no idea what became of it — was amazing. At one point, he claimed to own two dozen copies of Action Comics #1, all in perfect condition.

I believe he actually passed away in the early 1980’s so Marks math is off by a decade. If you really want to explore some of the super early movers in fandom check this book out. I think Ricks daughter Robin finally got a copy of this (well I hope she did).

548A3614-FFEC-4352-A8C9-417C139389CC.jpeg.b2ff3dfec9d03fcadcbb8a77ca9b47d5.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

More info on attendees from the past:

99E10D83-FEA9-4E4C-9B12-1BE1EEC6508A.thumb.jpeg.240de6947ad8404eb7b63f9a8c83ff0c.jpegA5D2DF88-357A-48AB-A791-0BDB72ADDCC1.thumb.jpeg.0cbcde31e2bf18c05b141b17c530745c.jpeg

From Mark Evanier’s blog (12/02/2008)

Rick, who passed away around fifteen years ago, claimed to have started this whole business of paying real money for real old comics. As the story went, he walked one day into Cherokee, which specialized in rare antiquarian books of other kinds. There, he met Jack and/or Burt and offered cash for perfect condition copies of Golden Age Comics. Soon, the store was locating them and in the process, it developed a client list of buyers like Rick who built huge collections — in some cases for investment; in others, to recapture their childhoods. The Durell Collection — I have no idea what became of it — was amazing. At one point, he claimed to own two dozen copies of Action Comics #1, all in perfect condition.

I believe he actually passed away in the early 1980’s so Marks math is off by a decade. If you really want to explore some of the super early movers in fandom check this book out. I think Ricks daughter Robin finally got a copy of this (well I hope she did).

548A3614-FFEC-4352-A8C9-417C139389CC.jpeg.b2ff3dfec9d03fcadcbb8a77ca9b47d5.jpeg

anybody read this...reviews? great SDCC photos, like yesterday...

56A8B912-BEF1-4296-B8A3-08510BA74CF8.png.b7fdb3e1bf5be5c2b7fe09d57d0f1c2b.png

The magazine behind Creatures on the Loose #33, identified by Richard McKenna, is Modern Screen (November 1974). Bolan was a huge Marvel fan who interviewed Stan Lee on the BBC’s Today show in 1975, where Lee revealed that Angie Bowie was interested in doing a Black Widow TV series—which would have been so much more entertaining than whatever morbidly expensive glob of superhero goo that came out last week (or the week before, or the week before, or the week before…). Bolan himself was interviewed about comics in 1975 by soon-to-be Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant (credit to McKenna once again). You can read the transcript here, and there’s a picture of the article below.

65EA4103-1E18-4DF0-8C29-589DF813B5F7.thumb.jpeg.542c86fbac512b615e289fef08ce489e.jpeg

Bonus: here’s Bolan with Stan Lee and Roy Wood (ELO, Wizzard) at London’s Institute of Contemporary Arts in 1975. The Marvel exhibit ran from October 18 through November 2. Bolan died in a car wreck two years later, on September 16, 1977.

67F6F9AB-F5F1-43F6-9730-E38BFDF8C16F.png.22426ded50433c9bede3588de4174c38.png

Neil interviews Marc Bolan, marvel comics magazine, 1976

"Marc Bolan - F.F.F." - MARVEL COMICS MAGAZINE - 1976:

The Pop World at the moment seems to be more Marvel-conscious than ever before.  Allusions to Marvel  Heroes and stories are found in many songs -- last year Paul  MacCartney and Wings released a single entitled "Magneto and Titanium Man" -- and album covers are sometimes   designed in the style of a Marvel Comic.  Even stage  performances can be influenced by Comics -- Alex Harvey has described his band as "the World's only Rock and Roll Marvel Comic!"  Mighty Marvel Marches on.

I recently spoke to Marc Bolan, leader and founder of T. Rex, the enormously successful band which has had no less than 16 consecutive hits since 1971.  Marc has been a fan of comics, and particularly Marvel Comics, for a long time. 

"I've been into Marvel since 1967.  The Silver Surfer in particular was one I liked, Dr. Strange was another.  At that time they were very weird compared to the other comics on the market, though they got more commercial since then and Stan Lee was a great writer." 
     "It was nice meeting Stan last year, he was lovely to interview.  Really he's a hustler, a solid gold easy hustler! That's just the way Comic guys should be,  he's got such a lot of energy." 
      "We talked about the possibility of me creating a super-hero for him.  something along the lines of Electric Warrior, a twenty-first century Conan." 
      "In fact I don't like Conan as a character -- I think he should be something less of a barbarian, more like one of Michael Moorcock's characters.  You could make a much better composite character using Moorcock's Elric, with a bit of the Silver Surfer, a bit of Thor, and create a far more 
involved character, a character more in touch with now ..." 
      "I'm a bit bored with  the primeaval breed of Hero, all that's kinda cute, but I like my super-heroes to be able to walk into discotheques just as they are.  I think Luke Cage is pretty cool, actually.  I like the way he always wears a headband!"

So which comics do you read now? 

"I tend to like Marvel's composite comics, but really I just buy what's on the bookstalls -- I buy anything.  How's the Titans doing?  I loved the idea of that when it first came out --sticking all those characters together in one comic.  I love Son of Satan.  I like the idea that downstairs in his house was Hell.  He could open a trap door and go down it to try to find his dad!" 
      "Yes, I'd like to write some comics for Marvel.  I've actually got a book of Science Fiction stories -- coming out soon -- there's a couple of super-heroes in it.  One's a God from another  planet.  These super-heroes aren't really like your's, but they  could be.  Stan was very into the idea of my doing this."

Does your interest in comics extend into your  songwriting?

"Yes.  There was the Silver Surfer in 'Teenage Dream', and Doctor Strange has been in one.  My new album, "Futuristic Dragon", has a spoken indtroduction which sounds very much like the intro to a Doctor Strange story --- lyrically it's very much like that.  Have you seen the cover of "Futuristic Dragon"?  It's rather like one of your comic covers."

You interviewed Stan Lee on TV.  Will you be doing any more television interviewing?

"I've been offered a late night talk show on London Weekend -- sort of a Russel harty show for freaks.  I'd like to talk to science fiction writers, film directors, any one who'd really interest the kids."

How about films?

"Again, I've been offered something -- in fact I've got the backing for a project, but I don't think I'm ready to do it yet.  I'd rather wait a couple of years.  Doing a film is such a big thing -- it takes a year to plan." 
 "David Bowie and I have written a film -script together.  It's a science fiction thing, like a futuristic Knights of the Round Table.  We've also cut eight songs together, just for pleasure  really -- we're old friends you know." 
  "And of course David's wife, Angie, is trying to set up a Black Widow TV series -- Stan's very interested in this. Angie's a big Marvel fan." 
 "I think the great thing about comics, especially for kids, is that they're great release.  that's also probably why so many rock bands like them -- the're pure escapism, aren't they?"

After interviewing Stan Lee on Thames TV's "Today" programme last year,  Marvel Comics made Marc an F.F.F. for services beyond and aove the call of duty to Marvel.  We  reckon he deserved it! 
                                                  (Neil Tennant)

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

You kinda had to be there. Mostly pioneering fans and the fans who started SDCC. Was mostly a west coast thing.

I have to say Bob that it was really a national comic thing. Most of those old dealer guys who are mentioned in Nerv's picture also were attending Houston Con and East coast shows as well. I bought my first Timely, a nice Marvel Mystery 72, from Irving and Larry Bigman. I would also love to get some background on the bigger name West Coast fans.

If nothing else, some note next to a name so we get more than just a name.  Even just something as basic as "dealer", "owned so-and-so comic store", "prominent collector", "ran a fanzine", "SDCC organizer", etc.

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

Well I assume you weren’t talking about the likes of Charles Schultz (Peanuts) or Frank Capra (It’s a Wonderful Life) but I can help with a few.

The Schanes brothers owned Pacific Comics which was First a comics dealer with multiple stores and later a publisher of comics introducing the world to Groo, Rocketeer, etc. and really the place Dave Stevens (also a San Diego resident at one time) came into his own. Their distribution system also played into the early direct sales  market before Diamond and Geppi.

Awesome!  Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for.  (thumbsu

And no, I think we all know who Neal Adams, Roy Thomas, Jack Kirby, etc. are, so no explanations needed for them!

Here’s one from Mark Evanier’s blog back in 2007.

4E5D845D-B5DD-4E8D-9C93-D39B3454D695.thumb.jpeg.dd6c3d772cd3327aa5debb267ef3db0c.jpeg

Famous Folks

Published Monday, April 9, 2007 at 12:19 PM

As most of you know, I'm currently assembling a big art book and bio of Jack Kirby which will be out later this year from the Harry N. Abrams Company. (If you don't know about it, here are some details.) I'm spending today going over a file of hundreds of photographs from Jack's personal files and collection, selecting some to be included in the book.

I came across the above pic and decided to share it with you all here. It's from the 1975 San Diego Comic-Con's award ceremony and if the above version of it is too small for you, you can see or download a much, much larger version of it here. Let me see if I can identify all the talented folks in this photograph for you because you may never see an assemblage like this anywhere else. I'm going to go right to left…

At far right, partially cut off, is Russell Myers, creator of the wonderful comic strip, Broom Hilda. To the left of Russell is Moores, famed Disney artist who took over the Gasoline Alley newspaper strip. To the left of is Bob Clampett, the great director of Warner Brothers cartoons and the man behind Beany and Cecil.

The man holding an award to the left of Bob is Jerry Siegel, co-creator of Superman. To the left of Jerry is Will Eisner, creator of The Spirit. The gentleman in the flowery shirt to the left of Jerry is the popular comic innovator, Jim Steranko. Right behind Steranko is the guru of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee. Immediately to the left of Steranko is Jack Kirby and right behind Jack, towering over him in fact, is comic artist Gil Kane.

Helluva photo, right? Wait. We're not through yet…

To the left of Jack is the brilliant cartoon voice actor, Daws Butler. To the right of Daws is the brilliant cartoon voice actress, June Foray. I thought I'd taken the only photo ever with Daws and Bob Clampett in it after their 1954 "parting of the ways" but here's another one, even if they aren't together in it.

Standing right behind June is…uh, I don't know. Anyone have any idea who that is?

To the left of June and holding an award is Richard Butner, who was one of the main operators of the convention in its first decade or so of existence. I can't see who's standing behind Richard but I think the gentleman to the left of him is Brad Anderson, who did the comic strip, Marmaduke.

Nothing much to add to this. The photo kinda speaks for itself and when it does, it says something about how you rarely see so many talented human beings on one stage.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, N e r V said:

1974 San Diego Comic Con (Continued)

24613DB2-A7CF-4763-8E2A-6C3CB0A3CA56.jpeg.5e8215cfd28a491edb82bdfb8c665f63.jpeg

From left, Igor Goldkind, Barry Alfonso, and Roy Thomas

C67656FF-3688-48B6-91DA-70B8EEBE4A45.jpeg.8cb2bbba02191ac40264acc3224ccb4f.jpeg

From left, Barry Alfonso and Roy Thomas

18B58C6F-AB0A-4A3F-9FDC-F07E3100BE17.jpeg.167ea7271b2a5931b86475c3a72587be.jpeg

535EBA2E-15DA-4DD7-8424-3F78625480CC.jpeg.f68f8b6780af573f190a239002045b67.jpeg

A7E8C2B8-C7B8-4C21-A64D-F24F8737AF70.jpeg.35c33c5cc497acbcb15f5118095dadb2.jpeg

From left, Igor Goldkind, Barry Alfonso, and Roy Thomas

Barry Alfonso

writer • interviewer • publicist • storyteller

My background as a professional writer is diverse. I believe this diversity is a strength I bring to any writing project. Through all I've done, there's been a common thread linking my work as a journalist, lyricist and interviewer. Basically, I like to tell stories.

My love of storytelling began with a childhood interest in comic books. It led me to help found the San Diego Comic Convention (now one of the largest media fan events in the world) when I was 12 years old. I learned how to write press releases and line up media interviews as one of the Comic Con’s early committee members, skills that helped me immensely in later years. I also got the chance to interact with such famous talents as author Ray Bradbury, artist Jack Kirby and film director Frank Capra while serving as Publicity Director. 

I began writing professionally while still in college, regularly contributing features and music reviews to the San Diego Union and the Los Angeles Times. Next, I started selling articles to Rolling Stone and became assistant editor at Songwriter Magazine. Moving from San Diego to Los Angeles, I wrote bios and press materials for numerous record companies. At the same time, I pursued my goal of becoming a professional song lyricist. One of the songs I co-wrote became the title tune for the Tom Cruise film All the Right Moves.

From there, I was drawn to country music and moved to Nashville. One of the songs I co-wrote there, “In Between Dances,” became a Number One single for Pam Tillis.

I continued to seek new projects. I found particular success in writing liner notes for artists as different as Johnny Cash and Captain Beefheart. In 2005, my liner notes for the Peter, Paul and Mary box set Carry It On received a Grammy nomination. Branching out further, I became a regular contributing writer for the iTunes website, reviewing hundreds of new and back catalogue albums.

My longtime interest in American history has led to further writing, research and interview projects. I became involved in this field professionally when I was hired to do oral history interviews by the John Heinz Regional History Center after moving to Pittsburgh in 2001. I’ve continued this work as an independent personal historian in recent years, capturing the memories of everyone from federal judges to Depression-era artists and opera singers in audio and print form. I’ve published a book about the history of the gospel music industry and helped others write their memoirs. 

All of these experiences have only increased my curiosity about people and how they live their lives. This in turn has helped me find new perspectives and vivid things to say about even familiar topics. Living in the West, South and East has given me a greater ability to communicate with different kinds of people.

I’ve worked on just about every side of the creative process. Songwriting has strengthened my ability to write bios and promotional copy. My experience as an oral historian has sharpened my skills at capturing the personality of someone in print. Describing a service or a project in a fresh and individual way is a challenge I enjoy – it’s all a form of storytelling.

In my writing work, I look for details and then connect them with something universal, rather than relying on stock phrases and copywriter language. I believe there should be a compelling human voice present in the written word – my job is to capture this on behalf of a client.

I’m a stickler for deadlines and factual accuracy. I take great pride in what I do.

That’s my story. Let me help you tell yours.

8C3C12F9-7A94-42EC-A19B-D4D0B7FB1EF1.jpeg.c111339a6fbd1f25d8ac800c2bf7bcee.jpegB7C5F929-2BE5-420C-BD7F-6769CB9813DD.jpeg.1d43436d094c8d695f6d76dbf5356316.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

Who is Igor Goldkind?  He's featured prominently in a number of pics, so there seems to be this expectation that our reaction should be "Oh yeah, Igor Goldkind! :headbang:", but mine is "Who is Igor Goldkind? ???

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Who is Igor Goldkind?  He's featured prominently in a number of pics, so there seems to be this expectation that our reaction should be "Oh yeah, Igor Goldkind! :headbang:", but mine is "Who is Igor Goldkind? ???

That’s easier. Like most posters here he has his own Wikipedia page. lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Goldkind

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

This thread is becoming a “where are they today” one now. lol

Not at all, I was just wondering who they were at the time of the pics.  Otherwise it's a bunch of cool old pics and names, but a missed opportunity to explain to the ignorant such as myself who they were.