• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-hero Atlas comics outlook
5 5

65 posts in this topic

I do not think they are under rated at all.

I have complete runs of TOS and TTA, I need to fill runs of JIM (1-33) and ST (1-42) and even the higher numbered books I need/want are selling for $60.00 + for low grade readers which at this point in my life is out of my price range.

21 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have complete runs of TOS and TTA, I need to fill runs of JIM (1-33) and ST (1-42) and even the higher numbered books I need/want are selling for $60.00 + for low grade readers which at this point in my life is out of my price range.

Nice that you have TOS and TTA already !!

If money was no exception i too would put together JIM and ST pre Marvel runs , JIM #1 is an all time grail of mine....

When looking at Strange Tales and Journey Into Mystery, I think it's important to keep in mind that there are 4 distinct sub groups in these titles.

1. Pre-code Atlas horror

2. Post-code Atlas fantasy

3. Post-implosion Marvel fantasy, better known as pre-hero Marvel

4. Marvel super hero

There are collectors who will tackle the entire title, and those who will ravenously collect certain issues and be utterly disinterested in the others!

On 12/22/2017 at 9:21 PM, KirbyJack said:

image.thumb.jpg.c09e721275ef144bc340c7e413afd092.jpgI once had 'em all, but now my Pre Hero Marvels are down to these...

It's a really fun genre to play in, I say go for it!

You say you had them all? Can you elaborate? Surely you don't mean all the pre-hero comics of every title? Even one title run would be awesome.

On 12/23/2017 at 8:29 AM, marvelmaniac said:

A dealer at the big Orlando Comic Con a few years agotold me that he sold an entire pre-hero run of Journey Into Mystery in high grade for $70K to an attorney who didn't want to have to track down every single issue. It must be nice to have the money to get them all in one fell swoop like that.

36 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

You say you had them all? Can you elaborate? Surely you don't mean all the pre-hero comics of every title? Even one title run would be awesome.

I'm all about the Kirby, so I consider "all" to be the issues with Kirby art. TOS, TTA, JIM, ST, SW, AA/AAF, WOF, the post-implosion Marvel issues.

Just reading copies mostly, but, yeah. Had all of those! Nothing compared to the collection bc has put together.

On 12/22/2017 at 12:28 PM, Pontoon said:

I’ve always loved the Atlas pre-hero monster books, been collecting them since the 70s. My first exposure to them would have been in the reprint titles, Where Monster Dwell, Monsters on the Prowl, etc. My very first actual issue was Strange Tales #91, which my dad found on a construction site he was working at. Back then they were tough for me to find; there was only one dealer at the local monthly show who had them with any regularity.

strangetales91.jpg

Too bad your dad didn't go to the construction site 1 month earlier when FF1 came out.  hm

19 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I'm all about the Kirby, so I consider "all" to be the issues with Kirby art. TOS, TTA, JIM, ST, SW, AA/AAF, WOF, the post-implosion Marvel issues.

Just reading copies mostly, but, yeah. Had all of those! Nothing compared to the collection bc has put together.

My collection is just the leftovers from Korvac, AdamStrange, Dr. X, Bronty, Chez and the other prior stewards of these fine books (including a few from you :) )

I blame it all on my favorite local pusher, Nelson Dodd - he turned me onto these back in the '80's and been addicted ever since. 

-bc

4 minutes ago, bc said:

My collection is just the leftovers from Korvac, AdamStrange, Dr. X, Bronty, Chez and the other prior stewards of these fine books (including a few from you :) )

I blame it all on my favorite local pusher, Nelson Dodd - he turned me onto these back in the '80's and been addicted ever since. 

-bc

I remember Nelson Dodd. He brought the Ohio collection to market. When I first met him at a con, he was more into vintage non sports cards than comics. I never see him anymore. Is he still around ? He was a very honest, knowledgeable dealer but I don't think he adapted well to the CGC era.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

I remember Nelson Dodd. He brought the Ohio collection to market. When I first met him at a con, he was more into vintage non sports cards than comics. I never see him anymore. Is he still around ? He was a very honest, knowledgeable dealer but I don't think he adapted well to the CGC era.

Nelson "retired" from dealing about a year or so ago - the whole show stopped and gave him several minutes of applause when it was announced. He and his son still frequent many of the NE Ohio shows and I get to chat with him often. The old Medina County Fairground shows were still my fondest memories - he always had something cool about comics to show me whether it was a genre, an artist or publisher ( I was a 70's Marvel zombie back then). Even though he's not dealing, he's still buying stacks of books every show!

He did have a handful of slabbed books near the end, but never really embraced it.

-bc

On 12/22/2017 at 8:10 AM, sfcityduck said:

Seems like pre-Code comics, regardless of publisher, are already red hot.  Nothing special about Atlas compared to other publishers, as they have no real relationship to the Marvel superhero comics, so I don't see them appreciating faster than some of the other pre-Code publishers. 

Nothing special????   Oh wow couldn't disagree more!   They have ties to later marvel and are some of Ditko/Kirby/Lee's best work.      Visually they look like early marvels because that's what they are, and you can't discount that.    There's no tie in terms of heroes (or not many anyways) but there's a significant tie in terms of aesthetics and the creative team. 

(talking strictly here about 1959 and up books - which are the ones properly described as prehero).    TTA 1 up, TOS 1up, ST67 up, JIM 50 up, etc.    The earlier parts of JIM and ST runs are a different animal and more properly described IMO as pre code.   Those books - ie ST 1-66 and JIM 1-49 - don't have as much tie in to later marvels, I would agree there.

Edited by Bronty

These books are just lovely. The pence copies are great and I love all the as yet unexplained price font variations:

They're of their time, and I sometimes wish I was back there :cloud9:

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Nothing special????   Oh wow couldn't disagree more!   They have ties to later marvel and are some of Ditko/Kirby/Lee's best work.      Visually they look like early marvels because that's what they are, and you can't discount that.    There's no tie in terms of heroes (or not many anyways) but there's a significant tie in terms of aesthetics and the creative team. 

It's a matter of taste.  I personally prefer the Atlas work done by Everett, Krigstein, Wildey, and other artists who never or rarely worked on Marvel superhero books to Ditko's Atlas stories.  Which, I guess, means I prefer early Atlas to post-1959 Atlas.  But, it's all good.  I don't, however, view a Kirby or Ditko Atlas story as being "visually" more of a "Marvel" than work Kirby or Ditko did for other publishers during that time period, for example Kirby's Challengers or Ditko's Captain Atom. 

Edited by sfcityduck

29 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't, however, view a Kirby or Ditko Atlas story as being "visually" more of a "Marvel" than work Kirby or Ditko did for other publishers during that time period, for example Kirby's Challengers or Ditko's Captain Atom. 

Well, that may be because you prefer the earlier stuff.  

However, facts are facts and the 59-61 PHM Kirby stuff is all Kirby/Ayers which is what the earliest marvels (early FF) are as well.

In addition, there are other visual similarities like the colored word bubbles, which I'll find and post some examples of.

Lastly, the covers often have Stan dialogue or at least unmistakably Stan Lee monster names.     

Challengers is Challengers, but Tales of Suspense 15?   That's a Marvel.

Here are FF 5 and 6.

Notice that they have

- thick, sometimes colored word bubbles

- dialogue always ends with an exclamation or a question

- jagged, jigsaw sort of outline to text passages such as "Meet... Doctor Doom" or "Have the Fantastic Four..."

- unmistakable Kirby/Ayers artwork

300?cb=20151213043449

3593370-ff+006_cd_bp+hk.jpg

Now here are Tales of Suspense 14 and 15.     I can say all the same things I just said about FF 5 and 6.

If you really wanted to be a stickler you could point out that TOS15 has "Behold... Goom" in a box with straight lines, but the jagged effect is on the inside in the lettering - still there.

Beyond that, I literally picked two random issues at will here.    I'm sure I could find countless other examples or other points of similarity if I thought about it.

---------

- thick, sometimes colored word bubbles

- dialogue always ends with an exclamation or a question

- jagged, jigsaw sort of outline to text passages such as "Meet... Doctor Doom" or "Have the Fantastic Four..."

- unmistakable Kirby/Ayers artwork

4773-2007-5198-1-tales-of-suspense.jpg

4811-2007-5236-1-tales-of-suspense.jpg

Edited by Bronty