• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could complete a full run... what would it be?
7 7

229 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I have this as the entire Russ Cochran EC Library hardcover run.

No chance of affording all of the originals.

I'm someone else happy with reprints.  Hardly slumming it here though, as the detail in the artwork looks incredible in the high-quality black-and-white of these books.

Me too. None of the originals made it here, so when the hardcover/slipcased Cochrane books arrived it extinguished the need to get the originals. You are correct, the black and white oversize pages and colour covers show the art much better than the often "muddy" originals. Not Marie Severin's fault, more like an intrinsic problem with the production process.

I've got a lot of complete runs, but if I were to start over I think the Four Color series attracts. Lots of books, a variety of genres and the covers run from line drawn to painted to photographs. Just an interesting title.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I have this as the entire Russ Cochran EC Library hardcover run.

No chance of affording all of the originals.

I'm someone else happy with reprints.  Hardly slumming it here though, as the detail in the artwork looks incredible in the high-quality black-and-white of these books.

I have the Cochran books somewhere in the garage with a thousand other boxes. They are beautiful, but I do like the original comics as well. I like to see how the art transfers to the newsprint, what colors were chosen, and I just love the smell and feel of an old comic book.

I gave up on full runs for the big series. There would be too many comics I wouldn't bother reading anyways. And there are other things I want to give my time. I will still have full runs of smaller series though. I'm not including all variants. Just the covers that I like.

7 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

You are correct, the black and white oversize pages and colour covers show the art much better than the often "muddy" originals. Not Marie Severin's fault, more like an intrinsic problem with the production process.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

They are beautiful, but I do like the original comics as well. I like to see how the art transfers to the newsprint, what colors were chosen, and I just love the smell and feel of an old comic book.

Even with the poor quality of the 50s newsprint, it was still obvious that there was something special about EC’s artwork.  It’s great to be able to look at these masterpieces in greater detail, in monochrome and at a larger size, using my chosen intermediate between their original presentation and an IDW Artist’s Edition. I’ve had a look at some of the Dark Horse hardcovers, but, while quite nice, they still have that garish, digital recolouring which puts me off a lot of their reprints.

9 hours ago, kav said:

Just wait till the movie-then we'll see that book skyrocket-

It’s bound to happen.  All they need to do is gather together a group of largely-forgotten D-listers into a team, preferably science-fiction and space-orientated characters, and give them a name such as Protectors of the Universe.  Their leader could be a relatable, earthborn hero like Captain Comet, and the alien snowman that attacked our world could be included in the team as well, reformed, and with a very limited vocabulary, such as, maybe, ‘Me am Frosty’.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It’s bound to happen.  All they need to do is gather together a group of largely-forgotten D-listers into a team, preferably science-fiction and space-orientated characters, and give them a name such as Protectors of the Universe.  Their leader could be a relatable, earthborn hero like Captain Comet, and the alien snowman that attacked our world could be included in the team as well, reformed, and with a very limited vocabulary, such as, maybe, ‘Me am Frosty’.

I see it as a christmas sci fi romantic comedy/horror

I have always been a completist when possible.

I realized that I was never going to be able to complete any DC silver age run that extended back to the Golden Age though I did give Superboy a good try.    Somewhere along the way I shifted to Classics  Illustrated.

While accumulating Classics  I branched  and completed out into the related Series ( Classics Jr's,  World Around Us  and Fast Fiction/Famous Authors)

When the remaining classics dropped to only  a handful of issues ( unless I switched to either First editions only or a copy of EACH HRN)  I upped the game  to FOUR COLORS

While I would love to complete the 1350+ run of FC's  much more realistic is completing the few remaining Classics.

here's an interesting question (to me) that's kinda tangential to the OP: What's a title that has been consistently good (writing & art) throughout its entire run?

Edited by NoMan

17 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I have the Cochran books somewhere in the garage with a thousand other boxes. They are beautiful, but I do like the original comics as well. I like to see how the art transfers to the newsprint, what colors were chosen, and I just love the smell and feel of an old comic book.

At one time I had a complete EC collection. When the hard covers came out, I sold off most of them to buy stuff that hadn't been reprinted. I missed them so much, I'm back to collecting the "New Trend" titles only again. I also buy real low grade reading copies that sit un-bagged on a shelf that I can thumb through any time I want. Still nothing like the originals...

19 hours ago, tv horror said:

Actually I'm at a bit of a turning point as I know that I'll never own an AF15 and the prices for Amazing 1 and 2 are out of my reach, I'm thinking of selling my run from 3 to 700 and all the core series which I have full sets off. It's the same with Werewolf by night I only need issue 32 I just can't justify paying large amounts of money for a single copy (yes I know a hangin offence) deep down my home comes first. However I am still happy with reprints and I have only ever collected Spidey, Werewolf, Monster of Frankenstein and Tomb of Dracula so I might call it a day and just stick with the reprints..  

I would sell them all off except for maybe a few of your favorites. Then use the proceeds and perhaps save up a little extra and buy maybe a Amazing #1. You can always go back and put the rest together again pretty easily if you ever decided you want to. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I would sell them all off except for maybe a few of your favorites. Then use the proceeds and perhaps save up a little extra and buy maybe a Amazing #1. You can always go back and put the rest together again pretty easily if you ever decided you want to. 

That's a thought, however the run I've acquired each had their little stories and remind me of the fun I had searching them out over the years. I'm now at the all or nothing stage as I've had these originals plus the omnibus Essential CD-ROM even the British reprints lines and the cost of completing the run is far out of my reach. It was fun while it lasted  thanks for the reply. One more thing I also have the complete (yes my problem) EC library collection except for the Mad series as I had no interest, these are a fantastic collection and one I'll never get rid off as I love them so much.<3

download.jpg.0ab947326872a35d1ac1298690192234.jpg  . 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

At one time I had a complete EC collection. When the hard covers came out, I sold off most of them to buy stuff that hadn't been reprinted. I missed them so much, I'm back to collecting the "New Trend" titles only again. I also buy real low grade reading copies that sit un-bagged on a shelf that I can thumb through any time I want. Still nothing like the originals...

I had a low grade reading run of Kirby FFs (31-up) right next to my comic room recliner.  Having them easily within reach resulted in frequent perusal. 

Sold them, missed them, and replaced them with Marvel’s Greatest Comics, the title thru which I first experienced FF; all the accessibility, most of the “originality”, none of the money guilt. Perfect solution, right?

Wrong. They are so affordable, that I loaned them all out, and now I’m back to just my bagged beauties.

Buying MGCs again...

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

here's an interesting question (to me) that's kinda tangential to the OP: What's a title that has been consistently good (writing & art) throughout its entire run?

You don't actually READ these things do you???

4 minutes ago, FSF said:

You don't actually READ these things do you???

Actually I do. After getting back into the hobby after a LONG break my slabbing obsession only lasted about six months or so than it was back to raw only. What a blessing it only lasted six months.

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Daredevil would be my pick, it has almost always been good and the run going back to the 60's is self contained (not many crossovers or event garbage)