• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Beyond Variants from 1999
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I was just perusing my various copies of Batman Beyond #1 from 1999 when I noticed something.  There's the regular direct edition #1 from March 1999, the free Special Origin Issue (blank block) from June 1999 and the Special Origin Issue Six Flags variant from October 1999.  But then I noticed that one of my Six Flags variants had a June 1999 date instead of Oct. 1999.  So did Six Flags do 2 different releases?  Overstreet and Grand Comics Database are no help at all.  And a subject search in here was no help either.

Edited by Shark

There are more prints then that as well. There is actually a 2nd and or 3rd print that are very very difficult to find.

The only reason I know about the 3rd print is I sold one of those later prints of the Six Flags book and the buyer emailed
me to tell me about a 3rd print as well. Without doing a lot of digging again I cant remember what the difference was, but 
I believe it was printed a month or two later and that's how you tell the difference.(March and June at least) Keep in mind
this was a couple of years ago so memory is sketchy, but if you want a hard book to find try to find it. Someone else
come in and clarify this for me.

Right on cue, somebody on eBay from Canada just posted 4 copies of that 3rd printing you were talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Beyond-Origin-Scarce-3rd-Printing-July-2000-Undervalued-Very-HTF/292389777862?hash=item4413c9f1c6:g:3I0AAOSwCMFZ5qrj

Looks like they were printed in July 2000 and don't have the blank block or UPC block.

Edited by Shark

24 minutes ago, Shark said:

Right on cue, somebody on eBay from Canada just posted 4 copies of that 3rd printing you were talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Beyond-Origin-Scarce-3rd-Printing-July-2000-Undervalued-Very-HTF/292389777862?hash=item4413c9f1c6:g:3I0AAOSwCMFZ5qrj

Looks like they were printed in July 2000 and don't have the blank block or UPC block.

Yep I couldn't find a copy to use as example, but those are it and they are very rare.

That may be the buyer that contacted me a couple of years ago. 

Batman Beyond Special Origin (NN - No Number) issue has 3 printings. The first printing has a large blank white rectangle in the lower left corner for LCS stamping/advertising and is dated June '99 with a Jello advertisement on the back cover. The second printing is a Six Flags Printing with a cover date of Oct '99 with a Playstation advertisement on the back cover. The third printing can be identified without a blank spot or logo in the lower left front cover and is dated July '00 and has a Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker DVD advertisement. Some people have noticed that there is a Six Flags edition dated June '99 but that is simply a First Printing copy with the Six Flags logo stamped on it and it also has the Jello advertisement on the back cover.

Hope this was helpful and clarifies any confusion about the Batman Beyond Special Origin issue.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, williamblood said:

the newsstand and 3rd print (no barcode) are rarest.

Just to be clear, there is no newsstand copy for the Batman Beyond Special Origin (NN - No Number) issue. The newsstand copy relates to Batman Beyond # 1.

Edited by gwong

Not sure the best place to ask this, but I figured this would be as good a place as any: what's the deal with the Third Printing of the Special Origin Issue? By that, I mean, what's the story? I haven't been able to find out a lot of information about it. I'm mostly curious about where/why it was published, why there is no UPC or price, and why they seem to be so scarce (like, more-so than even Newsstands and Six Flags issues). Does anyone know anything about this? Publication date is over a year after the free comic book day printing and 9 months after the Six Flags giveaway, which I always thought was kinda weird. Was it a promo released when Return of the Joker came out? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks! (*note- posted this question in another thread but never got a response so figured I'd try re-posting it here)