• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought book off eBay
1 1

281 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, this is all on the Buyer. How can his expectations be better than what the picture shows ? The OP's whole argument hinges on the use of the term 'nice'.  Not sure why he even posted this here. What does he want from us, validation that he was wronged ? 17 bucks seems a bit petty to go viral with. Sorry.

'Wronged' PLUS kept it!

5 hours ago, Bird said:
5 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

The one thing that annoys me with some sellers is when they share cropped images. But, that's the only thing he did wrong, really (besides saying it was nice. But maybe he thought it was). Even with the images being cropped, you can see all the flaws, including the tape and extra staples, and even the missing back cover.

I almost PM'ed a seller here today to say "please put a little paper on the edges so that the scanner catches the whole book". Just toss a little paper on the corners!

Flying Dognut?  I made that suggestion before too.

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, this is all on the Buyer. How can his expectations be better than what the picture shows ? The OP's whole argument hinges on the use of the term 'nice'.  Not sure why he even posted this here. What does he want from us, validation that he was wronged ? 17 bucks seems a bit petty to go viral with. Sorry.

Hey, never once said either I or the seller was right or wrong, just stated what happened. For the record though, the pictures don’t show how bad the book really was, it’s hard to tell tape was all along the binding. I don’t think it would have been too much to ask to have had the defects listed in the item description.  Do you really think it was fair for the seller to refer to it a nice copy? Secondly, what is the purpose of chat boards? To start a discussion, right? That was my intent on posting. It had nothing to do with validation of being wronged as I never stated that I felt I was, I just stated facts of what happened. If you felt I was inferring I was wronged, that’s something you drew from the facts. The purpose of my posting was to start a discussion, get some feedback/opinions and maybe see if anyone had any similar experiences. Lastly, I’m not sure of the extent of your knowledge, but 25 replies to my post is a little ways off from being viral. Thanks.

Edited by Yodisd

14 hours ago, s14roller said:

OP - I think this should be let go...I wouldn't even ask for seller to credit you anything.  The pictures in the link are very clear. 

Do you really think it was fair for the seller to refer to it as a nice copy?

3 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

Hey, never once said either I or the seller was right or wrong, just stated what happened. For the record though, the pictures don’t show how bad the book really was, it’s hard to tell tape was all along the binding. I don’t think it would have been too much to ask to have had the defects listed in the item description.  Do you really think it was fair for the seller to refer to it a nice copy? Secondly, what is the purpose of chat boards? To start a discussion, right? That was my intent on posting. It had nothing to do with validation of being wronged as I never stated that I felt I was, I just stated facts of what happened. If you felt I was inferring I was wronged, that’s something you drew from the facts. The purpose of my posting was to start a discussion, get some feedback/opinions and maybe see if anyone had any similar experiences. Lastly, I’m not sure of the extent of your knowledge, but 25 replies to my post is a little ways off from being viral. Thanks.

If you can't tell there is tape on that comic from the scan I would suggest you ONLY buy comics when you can see them in hand.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

If you can't tell there is tape on that comic from the scan I would suggest you ONLY buy comics when you can see them in hand.

Thanks, but was it fair for him to say nice copy in the listing?

22 hours ago, Yodisd said:

Didn’t pay attention to pics like should’ve, was going off the part he said nice copy

:facepalm:

Also, not sure what you're expecting from a $17 copy of that book.

I don't fault the seller here. Sorry. The pics show all the issues.

And "nice" is a rather vague term. Next time, take the time to look at the picture and ask specific questions about the condition of the book.

Getting five bucks back from the seller on this deal is very, very generous. Let him keep the money ($17 seems like a fair deal to me) and chalk this up as a lesson learned.

Edited by newshane

5 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

You got exactly what you were asking for-- our opinions. Just because we laid the blame on your inability to look at the pictures, doesn't mean the opinions are not valid. The seller could do a better job-- sure-- but ultimately you are responsible for looking at something beyond "well he said it was a nice copy". That is nonsense.

For most of us, this seems obvious. Starting a new thread instead of using one of the multitude of other ebay threads is alos unwarranted. This is not some special case where you got hoodwinked. It was a typical ebay sale that you did not do enough thinking about before you clicked the buy button. Do you understand how many sellers leave next to nothing in terms of description or use blurry photos? This seller was more than accommodating to your complaint. Most would have said-- return it or keep it. This is not working out for you the way you think it is probably-- perhaps because you are being unreasonable and a bit whiny. Is it a coincidence that literally no person has agreed with you that the tape on the spine is not obvious?

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

You got exactly what you were asking for-- our opinions. Just because we laid the blame on your inability to look at the pictures, doesn't mean the opinions are not valid. The seller could do a better job-- sure-- but ultimately you are responsible for looking at something beyond "well he said it was a nice copy". That is nonsense.

Exactly.

And the seller couldn't tell there was tape all along the binding from looking at the picture?

As someone said previously, you might want to stick with looking at comics in person.

4 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

For the sake of discussion,

Is it fair for the seller to take the time to fill out a listing and add photos just to have someone buy a book based on the description and not even bothering to look at the photos then be crucified for it? No. The whole purpose of eBay is for one to be able to browse items and see scans/photos of the actual, in most cases, item you are buying. I think the way you're going about it you may want to start shopping out of a catalogue. Was it fair for him to describe it as 'a nice copy'? Yes, he can say that because he has taken the time to upload corresponding photos for you to corroborate this. He is letting you decide for yourself if his statement is accurate and if the price you are paying for the item is in line with your perception of it.  Nice copy can mean many different things to many different people. Had the listing had no photos, and you would have still bought it, and then it showed up like that you would have a case for discussion.  

Not to run around in circles here, but it is obvious that there is tape and extra staples on this book, blatantly obvious. If it is bothersome to you, you should have gone with the return. Greasing and extra five from the guy for nothing, then bringing the story here for 'discussion' sort of makes you look bad in my opinion.  

There is a lesson in all of this though. Use all of the tools eBay offers before making you decision. This includes photos. 

I don;t mean to rail on you here, but recently I made a comment about a book that I thought looked better than the grade it received and I took some flak for it and I was feeling a little sorry for myself, but you know what? The guy giving me flak was 100% correct about what he was saying. What I mean is, before you get all defensive and all, stop and absorb what people are writing because this is not only a place for 'discussion,' but also for sharing a wealth of knowledge between one another, which is what was happening above. Bomber wasn't attacking you, he was helping you. 

2c

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

For most of us, this seems obvious. Starting a new thread instead of using one of the multitude of other ebay threads is alos unwarranted. This is not some special case where you got hoodwinked. It was a typical ebay sale that you did not do enough thinking about before you clicked the buy button. Do you understand how many sellers leave next to nothing in terms of description or use blurry photos? This seller was more than accommodating to your complaint. Most would have said-- return it or keep it. This is not working out for you the way you think it is probably-- perhaps because you are being unreasonable and a bit whiny. Is it a coincidence that literally no person has agreed with you that the tape on the spine is not obvious?

You summed it up best.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Again, I never ever once said I was wronged and I did nothing wrong. I admired I should have looked at the pictures better. As for what I was expecting from a 17 dollar book, this book is probably worth 1 or 2 dollars tops, so maybe just a LITTLE better. Also, what I do find extremely absurd is I don’t think I’ve seen one person say it was wrong of him to say it was a nice copy. Brushing it off as subjective or excusing it somehow. It no way was it right or excusable to label this book as a nice copy. But anyways thank for your time, input and opinions. That is what I was looking for.