• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought book off eBay
1 1

281 posts in this topic

On December 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Marwood & I said:

In other news, a woman from Chipping Norton was appalled yesterday to find poo on three sheets of a used toilet roll she had purchased from eBay. "I could see what looked like poo stains in the picture, but the listing said 'good used condition' so I went ahead and bought it. I'm furious!"

is that real? I honestly don't know anymore what's real and what's not. 

23 hours ago, Yodisd said:

Is there somewhere better to buy comics than eBay?

Yup-- right here on the boards in the Comics for Sale section.  Check the Kudos thread of the seller if you don't know them, CHECK THE PICTURES and ASK QUESTIONS.   I've bought a lot here and have never had a problem, BUT-- and this is a big but-- you're not going to get a $5 refund like you did  on eBay here.  This is a place where you better know what you're doing and understand grading terms and that condition is subjective.

A lot of newbies get so stuck on price guides and grading.   Try and find a Werewolf By Night #32 at guide prices-- not going to happen by a long shot.  Get comfortable with your own grading and then pay what you're willing to pay.    I went way over guide for a Batman #11 a few years ago because it was a live in house auction and it was between me and one other bidder and I decided this other guy wasn't going to have it.  I didn't sit and lick my wounds for overpaying-- it was fun and years later I sold it at a big profit because Joker covers got hot.

There are sellers on here whose grading I'm 100% on with-- same goes for online sellers-- and there are sellers I don't agree with but I can still work with them.  If they call a book an 8.0 I might consider it a 7.0 and I buy it knowing that.  In other cases for some of them what I call an 8.0 I would call a 9.0-- it's all subjective.

For online sellers there's SuperworldComics.com , FourColorComics.com , DaleRobertsComics.com , MetropolisComics.com and a few others I'm sure I'm missing.  But for these guys I know their grading and use it subjectively against my own.

Edited by AndyFish

I was going to say, at least three of those I find fairly sketchy.  Even so, there is one I still buy from.

2 hours ago, AndyFish said:

Yup-- right here on the boards in the Comics for Sale section.  Check the Kudos thread of the seller if you don't know them, CHECK THE PICTURES and ASK QUESTIONS.   I've bought a lot here and have never had a problem, BUT-- and this is a big but-- you're not going to get a $5 refund like you did  on eBay here.  This is a place where you better know what you're doing and understand grading terms and that condition is subjective.

A lot of newbies get so stuck on price guides and grading.   Try and find a Werewolf By Night #32 at guide prices-- not going to happen by a long shot.  Get comfortable with your own grading and then pay what you're willing to pay.    I went way over guide for a Batman #11 a few years ago because it was a live in house auction and it was between me and one other bidder and I decided this other guy wasn't going to have it.  I didn't sit and lick my wounds for overpaying-- it was fun and years later I sold it at a big profit because Joker covers got hot.

There are sellers on here whose grading I'm 100% on with-- same goes for online sellers-- and there are sellers I don't agree with but I can still work with them.  If they call a book an 8.0 I might consider it a 7.0 and I buy it knowing that.  In other cases for some of them what I call an 8.0 I would call a 9.0-- it's all subjective.

For online sellers there's SuperworldComics.com , FourColorComics.com , DaleRobertsComics.com , MetropolisComics.com and a few others I'm sure I'm missing.  But for these guys I know their grading and use it subjectively against my own.

I don't think newbs even know what Overstreet is.

1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

eBay grading is always a worry

NM = Very Fine

Fine = Dog chewed on the book for a few days

It depends who you buy from.  The same could be said about some of the sketchy sellers around here.

8 hours ago, AndyFish said:

Thank you 

11 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

Please do the right thing and not accept any refund for that transaction.  Even though it isn't a "nice copy" the seller's pictures were clear enough to see the condition issues.   

Agree !! and i actually consider this to be a "NICE" comic....

Image result for worst condition comic book

The photos are pretty obvious, but I probably wouldn't leave any feedback for the lazy and misleading description.  At least it wasn't one of those descriptions where the information that a centerfold is missing is buried in huge block of text.  I bid on one of those once with only a minute or so to go, and didn't realize until I won that the CF wasn't there. Fortunately, whoever bid against me didnt make the same mistake and I got it for about what it was worth. Live and learn.

There are maybe 3 or 4 sellers on ebay, that I would bid on just based on description, even if they had no photos - like in the old days ordering out of CBG, when you just had to cross your fingers that your definition of Fine was close to the sellers.

2 hours ago, Ottobord said:

To be fair if a forum seller called that Amazing Spidey 29 in that condition "nice copy" in a sale thread, they would be open to scrutiny.  

and many people would voice their opinion about it after looking at the photos. Let's not forget this person bid nine times on this book and admitted to never looking at the photos. This a few weeks after buying a book with writing on it that they also did not see.

I don't think the deal was all that bad-- as the seller did say (see my previous post after contacting them), that was the cheapest this book has sold on ebay for the last 6 months. Others were bidding on it and one person bid 1 penny less than their winning 17 dollar bid. Also, the way they bid on this item smells of thrill bidding.

I find what the buyer did far more problematic than the seller.

Edited by 01TheDude