• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US vs UK copies
2 2

93 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Thank you, so much. Very informative!

Do you know if these pence copies were printed at the same time as their US counterparts? Or at a slightly to much later date, like so many other international copies of their US counterparts, some of which seem to have been issued years later and have a cover bearing similar artwork, but decidedly different?

You see a lot of this in DC. There's one seller on ebay I always see listing many Spanish, German, Swedish copies of Superman, Superboy, etc., etc.. Very interesting because of the cover's artwork variation homage to the original.

The vast majority of foreign "Marvel" and "DC" issues are made up of content licensed by a publisher from another country. The original work is altered (mostly translated), (re)printed and distributed in that region. They are not actually published by Marvel or DC.

Pence copies were printed with the rest of the run and shipped overseas.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The vast majority of foreign "Marvel" and "DC" issues are made up of content licensed by a publisher from another country. The original work is altered (mostly translated), (re)printed and distributed in that region. They are not actually published by Marvel or DC.

Pence copies were printed with the rest of the run and shipped overseas.

Printed, from what has been rumored, in vastly smaller numbers (10% of cent copies?).

So let's restate.... 1) Printed at the same time as Cent copies with the same ink on the same paper. 2) Printed in vastly smaller numbers, creating instant scarcity.

And THAT'S why we love our Pence copies (disclaimer.... I only own 1, but I do love pence copies)

Edited by gadzukes

18 hours ago, vaillant said:

Seen from a non-english perspective they look like "british editions", so – since the Marvel age for me is something *quintessentially* american, I don’t like them.
But no reason to "despise" them – if I was british I would probably love them as much as the US ones.

5a4fb44e07046_AirplaneSlap.gif.526cd3e4dd3c95e169593b09d35bcd4d.gif

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Printed, from what has been rumored, in vastly smaller numbers (10% of cent copies?).

So let's restate.... 1) Printed at the same time as Cent copies with the same ink on the same paper. 2) Printed in vastly smaller numbers, creating instant scarcity.

And THAT'S why we love our Pence copies (disclaimer.... I only own 1, but I do love pence copies)

Only 3,006 to go gadzukes :D

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

3007 is that how many Marvel Pence variants there are?  Wow.  How many do you have?

Yes, 3,007. With a few more to come, once they stop being so stubborn and reveal themselves to me. Read the pence thread for more info on it - you'll like it (and the DC one I did). Don't read the Miller one though, as that will send you to sleep.

I used to have tons of them. Now, just my ASM 1-17 and the odd book I bought in support of the pence research (read the pence threads - you'll like them :grin:)

5a4fbaea055a0_Sigline_LI(2).thumb.jpg.a8837f85f5411a14a135964dfc08960e.jpg

Just now, Marwood & I said:

Yes, 3,007. With a few more to come, once they stop being so stubborn and reveal themselves to me. Read the pence thread for more info on it - you'll like it (and the DC one I did). Don't read the Miller one though, as that will send you to sleep.

I used to have tons of them. Now, just my ASM 1-17 and the odd book I bought in support of the pence research (read the pence threads - you'll like them :grin:)

Read the  pence threads! :mad:

Spoiler

:grin:

50 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I have that function of the boards turned off :whistle:

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

1.thumb.jpg.59fd6470cc370af6402288ee8625fe96.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.6a100bbd1d989b1b97bd5ccb7a211520.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.317237010959b4980df5fa9a4158d380.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.248ba0ab845d96bcfbcb25ee7374782f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.5cda5977dad3fe4d3bb149cfc55ce9c2.jpg

:luhv:  I only have the #5, but it is a sweet one.  Scored it for about 1/2 of a U.S. edition here on the boards...., :cloud9: 

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have that function of the boards turned off :whistle:

Turn them back on liz. Then read the pence threads :mad:

:bigsmile:

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

:luhv:  I only have the #5, but it is a sweet one.  Scored it for about 1/2 of a U.S. edition here on the boards...., :cloud9: 

I remember when you bombed the Morlar thread with it liz :cloud9:

I have bofum, pence and cents. And the cents is a misprint! You can read about them here:

Read the pence threads liz! :sumo: