• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

I agree that these stories are entertaining. Linework discussion always has a place here. This is more about the timing of said discussion, being that the piece is up for auction.

Timing not great. The thread is about the cover.

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

I haven't been in the hobby long enough to have seen Mike scoop up all the Romita Spidey art when people turned their nose up at it (from what I understand), so I don't know the full history of OA collectors and what they think of Jazzy John.

To me growing up, Spidey merchandising was everywhere and Romita seemed to be a main artist producing a lot of that stuff. While the Ditko stuff is my favorite Spidey era, Romita's work is kinda the definitive take on arguably the most popular super hero there is. And his art is fantastic on top of that, very pleasing to the eye. I'd be surprised if, even with Burkey out of the picture and all his Spidey art released into the wild, there wouldn't be some serious demand for it.

Didn’t say it shouldnt command good prices. But the current level is crazy, IMHO, and unsustainable. 

Ditko Spidey, to me, is the Hobby gold standard. 

50 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Didn’t say it shouldnt command good prices. But the current level is crazy, IMHO, and unsustainable. 

Ditko Spidey, to me, is the Hobby gold standard. 

Respectfully, I disagree.  While I love Ditko Spidey, and have bid on several pages (never won one though :( ) Romita is, to me, the gold standard.  He created Mary Jane Watson, the Punisher, did probably the two most iconic Spidey covers  (39 and 50), created some of the best villains (Kingpin and The Rhino), and for a LONG time was the longest serving artist on Spider-man (which may serve to hurt the prices in the long term, as there are more examples of Romita ASM than Ditko's 38+2 books).  Let me leave you with this question.  Would you rather own a page from ASM 39 or from ASM 17/23/27?

I do not spend much time on these boards anymore because people are always being some damn negative about people they know nothing about.  Not everyone but quite a few.

this is called a CHAT BOARD!!!!!

and we are chatting about art and to chill out as these are all opinions and everyone has an opinion

19 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Let me leave you with this question.  Would you rather own a page from ASM 39 or from ASM 17/23/27?

That's a pretty good question as I like both artists and I can appreciate ASM 39 for the significant developments that take place vis a vis Spidey's identity being revealed.  But when I look at the art in ASM 39, it doesn't quite have the same look nor eye appeal of say, issue #50.  So for me, I'll take a Ditko ASM 17, 23 or 27 page over the ASM 39 page, from an aesthetic point of view.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

That's a pretty good question as I like both artists and I can appreciate ASM 39 for the significant developments that take place vis a vis Spidey's identity being revealed.  But when I look at the art in ASM 39, it doesn't quite have the same look nor eye appeal of say, issue #50.  So for me, I'll take a Ditko ASM 17, 23 or 27 page over the ASM 39 page, from an aesthetic point of view.

I remember decades ago when I was selling those ASM #39 pages, for Romita, for like, $60.00 each.

The good old days.

MI

Edited by artdealer

8 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  While I love Ditko Spidey, and have bid on several pages (never won one though :( ) Romita is, to me, the gold standard.  He created Mary Jane Watson, the Punisher, did probably the two most iconic Spidey covers  (39 and 50), created some of the best villains (Kingpin and The Rhino), and for a LONG time was the longest serving artist on Spider-man (which may serve to hurt the prices in the long term, as there are more examples of Romita ASM than Ditko's 38+2 books).  Let me leave you with this question.  Would you rather own a page from ASM 39 or from ASM 17/23/27?

For me. Ditko's the definitive ASM artist/co-creator, even if Romita has his own huge following (as does Stevey).  Romita didn't create Mary Jane Watson, by the way, it was Ditko.  Romita gave us the first full-bodied realisation of MJW (whereas Ditko and Lee teased with the character, without actually showing us her face).  All the enduring  (best) villains were co-created by Ditko.  Kingpin, who was terrific, was pretty much part of a progression of crime bosses that started (under Ditko) with the likes of the Big Man and the Crime Master.  The Rhino, for me, was pretty dull as a villain (he sort of charged into things and was incapable of delivering interesting dialogue . . . villain-like speeches were clearly not his forte).  I totally agree about the iconic nature of Romita's ASM 39 and 50 covers.  Put me in the camp of collectors who'd much rather have something from ASM 17, 23 or 27 over 39 (though I did, at one time, own a page from ASM # 27).

Edited by The Voord

I've always found it strange that the biggest Spidey Romita collector on the planet was willing to sell the covers as he felt they'd gotten overpriced, so I'd love to hear more from Romitaman about that as it sounds like he's starting to have a run at getting those covers back again.....

Anyone willing to spend 1/4 million on a cover will know to take Mike's comments with a pinch of salt and, as Bronty said, this Spidey cover has just been legitimized as a $250k piece so the seller should be happy (even though he's clearly hoping for more).

7 hours ago, r100comics said:

I've always found it strange that the biggest Spidey Romita collector on the planet was willing to sell the covers as he felt they'd gotten overpriced, so I'd love to hear more from Romitaman about that as it sounds like he's starting to have a run at getting those covers back again.....

Anyone willing to spend 1/4 million on a cover will know to take Mike's comments with a pinch of salt and, as Bronty said, this Spidey cover has just been legitimized as a $250k piece so the seller should be happy (even though he's clearly hoping for more).

The Spidey 39 cover, I can see going for $250K. It's an all-time classic, and would go at a premium no matter who the artist was. If Herb Trimpe drew it, it would be a classic. Not the Spidey 100 cover, though. It's only "value" IMHPO is that it's a Romita cover. Totally boring and pedestrian, otherwise

18 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Spidey 39 cover, I can see going for $250K. It's an all-time classic, and would go at a premium no matter who the artist was. If Herb Trimpe drew it, it would be a classic. Not the Spidey 100 cover, though. It's only "value" IMHPO is that it's a Romita cover. Totally boring and pedestrian, otherwise

The Spidey 39 cover is a universe away from comparison to the 100 for several reasons. 

Not the least of which is the size of the artwork. 

In a world where small art ASM covers have crossed $250k more than once, a large art landmark cover like 39 would probably blow by $250k before the live bidding kicked in. 

But you're right about the value spread between the covers. It's not even close, but the floor is probably higher than you're at. 

Edited by comix4fun

22 hours ago, Peter G said:

So I’m a troll just because I express my opinion that immoral behavior is immoral?

Im waiting for you to call me racist next.

Regardless, my main point still stands. Burkey revealed himself to be a manipulator. 

Didn't he reveal himself to be a manipulator during "Shillgate"? Also, I agree with your stance on this topic and feel you have made a lot of good points. 

3 minutes ago, kbmcvay said:

Didn't he reveal himself to be a manipulator during "Shillgate"? Also, I agree with your stance on this topic and feel you have made a lot of good points. 

Yet, it's nothing that several other people haven't already stated in far more effective and complete ways, and absent the vitriol and misplaced anger. 

It's a situation where the "message" is done a disservice by the odious nature of the "messenger". 

20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The Spidey 39 cover is a universe away from comparison to the 100 for several reasons. 

Not the least of which is the size of the artwork. 

In a world where small art ASM covers have crossed $250k more than once, a large art landmark cover like 39 would probably blow by $250k before the live bidding kicked in. 

But you're right about the value spread between the covers. It's not even close, but the floor is probably higher than you're at. 

I get that. But I still think Romita run of the mill Spidey art, is overvalued. The Key stuff is valuable, but that's because it's KEY. IMHO. I think that particular niche market is being driven by a few collectors.

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I get that. But I still think Romita run of the mill Spidey art, is overvalued. The Key stuff is valuable, but that's because it's KEY. IMHO. I think that particular niche market is being driven by a few collectors.

Entirely possible. 

I think we'd all discover that at certain price points (over $40k for a panel page or $100k for a cover, to pick arbitrary big numbers from my backside) the markets for many of these pieces are being driven by a tiny handful of people ardent and able to do so. 

There have been a lot of Romita ASM pages hit the market in the last 5-6 years. I don't know if the results are the price supports of just a few collectors though. I know too many people entirely willing to pay what they did for their pieces. If nothing else that tells me it's not necessarily overvalued....just that I don't value them personally that high. I am sure people would say the same to me about something I love and they are lukewarm towards. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Entirely possible. 

I think we'd all discover that at certain price points (over $40k for a panel page or $100k for a cover, to pick arbitrary big numbers from my backside) the markets for many of these pieces are being driven by a tiny handful of people ardent and able to do so. 

There have been a lot of Romita ASM pages hit the market in the last 5-6 years. I don't know if the results are the price supports of just a few collectors though. I know too many people entirely willing to pay what they did for their pieces. If nothing else that tells me it's not necessarily overvalued....just that I don't value them personally that high. I am sure people would say the same to me about something I love and they are lukewarm towards. 

I'd rather than have Batman #1, New 52 Capullo Cover than one of those $50K Romita panel Pages.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'd rather than have Batman New 52 Cover than one of those $50K Romita Pages.

I don't know if I've seen any mediocre or run of the mill pages go for that much. 

Was there an example of a $40-50k mediocre page that sold?

58 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The 39 cover would go for well over 250k....not even close. It would probably be the most expensive single spiderman piece of art ever sold.

20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't know if I've seen any mediocre or run of the mill pages go for that much. 

Was there an example of a $40-50k mediocre page that sold?

A number of the ASM 39 pages sold for more than $40k on HA in 2015/2016.  As to whether any were "mediocre" I'll leave to others.