• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a raw "unrestored" comic from a boardie and it's come back Qualified
1 1

251 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I suspect the original holes go through the wraps as well, all the way to the centerfold.  Also, there are probably two holes at each staple with the second hole covered up (hidden) by the staple itself. So, you may now have 4 distinct holes, permeating the whole book . With that in mind, I don't know, does 7.5 seem reasonable ?

Yes. If I had it with an extra set of staple holes I'd be reluctant to go any higher. What do you think of my point above Bob? How do you think it came about?

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I feel a little foolish now.  I really feel I'm very good at spotting this stuff, but I 100% missed it.

I still feel the "grade" was a little harsh.

Considered that they have graded it as "Qualified" this should have been higher in grade, IMO. Who knows? Maybe there is some inside defect?

8 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Yes. If I had it with an extra set of staple holes I'd be reluctant to go any higher. What do you think of my point above Bob? How do you think it came about?

I’d say in the VF/VF+ range would be acceptable in an otherwise nicer books. VF- sounds harsh indeed. For the "Qualified" already states it as such.

7 minutes ago, vaillant said:

And him being "pretty the presence". Quite a character. lol

Sounds like Yoda at Christmas. 'Pretty the presents are, yesss, mmm' :grin:

Image result for yoda gif

2 minutes ago, vaillant said:

I thought him more along the lines of "Pretty, the presence" (a sort of esoteric character).

I am Pretty the Presence, of The Original Staple Holes. Son to a murdered Father, brother to a.....

20 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Warming to the subject, everyone seems to agree the cover is stunning, potential extra holes notwithstanding. So, what circumstances would lead to it being taken off its original book and stuck on to another book with staple holes that don't align? How could the original interior have got to the point condition wise of warranting that action? 

I thought I read somewhere here that, years ago, there was a 'find' of unused SA covers. Whereupon someone took these covers, applied them to used interiors, and sold them as Mint copies. This could be one of those copies. Not sure if Atlas remembers where he got this book but I bet it was sold to him as Mint unused.  

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I thought I read somewhere here that, years ago, there was a 'find' of unused SA covers. Whereupon someone took these covers, applied them to used interiors, and sold them as Mint copies. This could be one of those copies. Not sure if Atlas remembers where he got this book but I bet it was sold to him as Mint unused.  

If they were unused though, they wouldn't have extra staple holes, would they?

27 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Considered that they have graded it as "Qualified" this should have been higher in grade, IMO. Who knows? Maybe there is some inside defect?

Valid point but the Qualified applied to the Married cover, not the holes. While it is debatable that the four holes should be covered under the umbrella of the Qualified Married Cover, obviously it wasn't. 

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

If they were unused though, they wouldn't have extra staple holes, would they?

Good point. My unused cover theory does not make sense because it should not have the extra holes.  

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Good point. My unused cover theory does not make sense because it should not have the extra holes.  

Unless the person that constructed it wasn't very good at constructing Bob!

I'm still at a loss to guess why this book exists. What was wrong with the original interior of the cover that was removed and used here on this book, and what was wrong with the original cover of the interior that was used?

Someone ripped their cover, said drat, and went out and bought another copy with a great cover that had a faulty interior.

Am I making any sense?

The other alternative - CGC got it wrong, and it's not married. Just in the early stages of courting or something hm

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm still at a loss to guess why this book exists. What was wrong with the original interior of the cover that was removed and used here on this book, and what was wrong with the original cover of the interior that was used?

Someone ripped their cover, said drat, and went out and bought another copy with a great cover that had a faulty interior.

Am I making any sense?

The other alternative - CGC got it wrong, and it's not married. Just in the early stages of courting or something hm

Maybe he didn't like the first attempt and started all over ? (shrug)

10 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Am I making any sense?

I'm betting on what I think is the most likely.  Someone had a nice covered copy that was missing the centerfold, had an interior coupon cut or a page missing.  She found a nice whole interior, and they were wedded.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm betting on what I think is the most likely.  Someone had a nice covered copy that was missing the centerfold, had an interior coupon cut or a page missing.  She found a nice whole interior, and they were wedded.

I can only see this wedding having Elvis singing

Elvis.png

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

A-ha! So it was a woman!

On 15/01/2018 at 9:21 PM, Marwood & I said:

I can see two dots below each staple too, when you zoom in. Often in these cases the evidence is much more apparent with the book in hand. The internal pages are cream to off white, yet the cover spine and title wording look bone white. Maybe in hand, the cover doesn't match the interior in a very obvious way, and the encapsulation hides this. It's fairly pointless really grade querying slabbed books. You can't see what's inside, and they often don't tell you of internal issues on the label or, indeed, the graders notes. If there are any that is.

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I contacted them and they said there were no notes

Gee, what a surprise. 

Bone white pristine looking married cover with (TBC) extra pin holes and cream to OW pages grades at 7.5. 

And no notes.

16 hours ago, szavisca said:

Wow... well it’s probably a topic for another thread but that’s really unprofessional and I’d say grounds for a refund (though I doubt you’d get far arguing that with Cgc).

Ohhh! Can't we do it here? Image result for aristocats sad gif

Be a waste otherwise...

Sure, let's talk notes. I'm not sure but I don't think they always give notes on the lower tiers, Value and Economy. It's in the category of you get what you pay for. Maybe the OP can tell us what tier he submitted the book ?