• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Very true.  I'm watching over 300 lots and there's so many of them that need to triple and quadruple their current bid amounts just to hit FMV.  I realize it's still early in the week, but there's only three days (including today) before live bidding on Friday

This is one of my favorites for OA in quite a while. Seems like a real diverse offering in my eyes. 

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Very true.  I'm watching over 300 lots and there's so many of them that need to triple and quadruple their current bid amounts just to hit FMV.  I realize it's still early in the week, but there's only three days (including today) before live bidding on Friday

So are you hoping to get something for yourself? Or just window shopping? No need to get specific - was just curious.

You think the asm 100 can triple?

Edited by Panelfan1

12 hours ago, Twanj said:

ASM 100 at $382k with juice

What did Romitaman say he offered & was turned down, 250 or 300?

Uh oh....looks like someone fell over and had a seizure on their keyboard while inputting their bid...

Now where's that customer service number? I need it NOW!!...ummm for a friend. 

Edited by comix4fun

In another thread, Mike said exactly this:

I own all but a couple pages to asm 100... 1 of my favorite issues......I owned this asm #100 cover and I sold it around 2006...i tried to buy it back from the owner a few months ago privately. i offered him 250k GREEN..... FLOWN TO HIM BY ME and he passed on my offer... He said he feels it will sell for more....... (which means it will have to sell OVER 300k at auction for him to get more than my offer.........)  we'll see if that happens.

This cover is inked by Frank Giacoia and "NOT ROMITA".... I honestly feel this hurts the value some as all of the background characters look as if they are half drawn.....John Romita would have put a lot more effort into the inking had he inked this cover himself. Only the kingpin image is penciled and inked by John Romita and for me personally, it's easy to see how nice that image looks versus the rest of the background characters. MJ and Gwen look off some and not like fully detailed Romita images.....so in hindsight....after thinking it all over...... i'm glad he turned down my offer as i'll wait for a twice up goody in the future and we will all see if it sells for less than my offer. :)

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

In another thread, Mike said exactly this:

I own all but a couple pages to asm 100... 1 of my favorite issues......I owned this asm #100 cover and I sold it around 2006...i tried to buy it back from the owner a few months ago privately. i offered him 250k GREEN..... FLOWN TO HIM BY ME and he passed on my offer... He said he feels it will sell for more....... (which means it will have to sell OVER 300k at auction for him to get more than my offer.........)  we'll see if that happens.

This cover is inked by Frank Giacoia and "NOT ROMITA".... I honestly feel this hurts the value some as all of the background characters look as if they are half drawn.....John Romita would have put a lot more effort into the inking had he inked this cover himself. Only the kingpin image is penciled and inked by John Romita and for me personally, it's easy to see how nice that image looks versus the rest of the background characters. MJ and Gwen look off some and not like fully detailed Romita images.....so in hindsight....after thinking it all over...... i'm glad he turned down my offer as i'll wait for a twice up goody in the future and we will all see if it sells for less than my offer. :)

I guess the bidders on it don’t care about the disparaging comments and it looks like the person selling should be quite happy he/she passed on his offer. 

382 for that cover with days to go is basically the fourth sign of the apocalypse though (trending towards what - 400, 500, 600?).   Good golly.    Not a fan.   Would love to own it.. but not a fan.

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

382 for that cover with days to go is basically the fourth sign of the apocalypse though (trending towards what - 400, 500, 600?).   Good golly.    Not a fan.   Would love to own it.. but not a fan.

Now more expensive than the McSpidey #1 cover, but still a far cry from the ASM 328 cover

51 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Now more expensive than the McSpidey #1 cover, but still a far cry from the ASM 328 cover

I feel like it SHOULD be more expensive than the McSpidey cover though.  Easily the second most important Spidey artist of all time (behind Ditko of course).  An iconic cover, featuring basically every major Spider-man character to that point.

33 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

I feel like it SHOULD be more expensive than the McSpidey cover though.  Easily the second most important Spidey artist of all time (behind Ditko of course).  An iconic cover, featuring basically every major Spider-man character to that point.

Well, that's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Well, in an auction setting it just takes two to make an outlier. 

Words like "SHOULD" and "LOGICAL" and "WORTH" lose all meaning in the vortex of bidding. 

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I feel like if this same image was the cover to, #78 or something, the price would be reduced by 50%

That's a big premium to pay for a round number?

Or more like iconic cover needed for a round number comic, at the time of publication.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Kind of like the FF 100 cover that preceded the ASM cover by about a year.  Or the BWS Avengers 100 cover that followed afterwards

Good point!   I never really connected those dots before.    Daredevil 100 isn't very memorable but its the same idea as well.

Edited by Bronty