• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Aquaman 35

18 posts in this topic

the back looks great and that helps but there's some issues on da front ...there's a line coming down to the right of Sea it looks like...there r some tics and a color break to the left of Ocean. Bottom front left corner looks rounded. A 7.0 has to b relatively flat and clean so i'm guessing it's around there somewhere.

So I actually went through the book and found that the centerfold and the adjacent 2 pages are detached from the bottom staple. It's a great looking book and was still good at the price point that I paid, but was wondering what people's thoughts were on if I should send it to CGC or not. Would I get a green label or would it be downgraded a lot?

10 hours ago, AJ0605 said:

So I actually went through the book and found that the centerfold and the adjacent 2 pages are detached from the bottom staple. It's a great looking book and was still good at the price point that I paid, but was wondering what people's thoughts were on if I should send it to CGC or not. Would I get a green label or would it be downgraded a lot?

Can you post a picture of the book showing the centerfold's staple areas? Don't open it flat and risk stressing the paper of the underlying areas any more than already. It would be good to see what we're dealing with to try to factor your best options here.

On 2018-01-10 at 11:07 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

the back looks great and that helps but there's some issues on da front ...there's a line coming down to the right of Sea it looks like...there r some tics and a color break to the left of Ocean. Bottom front left corner looks rounded. A 7.0 has to b relatively flat and clean so i'm guessing it's around there somewhere.

I agree with this, except I would go a bit higher. Maybe 7.5? However, this depends on how serious the detached staple are. Pictures are your friend!

Edited by Spawn1709

10 hours ago, AJ0605 said:

Without the centerfold problem, I think the book is 7.5/8.0 range. With the detached staple on the centerfold, it probably lowers it to 6.5/7.0 territory. You should get a Blue label, not Green.

9 hours ago, AJ0605 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is such a quick fix and it's not restoration. If that's just popped at the center or second centerfold, simply open the staple carefully, but do not remove or dislodge it. The paper should all be there, the staple puncture during manufacturing doesn't punch a hole in the paper, it pushes it aside, forming sort of a paper crater rim around the staple hole. Open the staple up and reinsert the leaf(s) over the staple, then using something very blunt, push the paper back to surround the staple tines and reclose the staple taking care to close them all the way, at the ends of the tines. When finished, the centerfold should be held fast in place, not necessarily as tight as normally expected, but attached nonetheless, still blue label worthy, nothing added, nothing subtracted, all original parts.

Edited by James J Johnson
typo

On 2018-01-10 at 11:07 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I agree. I think the colour breaking ticks bing it down to about a 7.0. Book would probably benefit from a press.