• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Did I miss something before or is this new trailer the first time we knew Rachel Weisz was Black Widow's mom?  And are we then to assume Red Guardian is her dad?

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Did I miss something before or is this new trailer the first time we knew Rachel Weisz was Black Widow's mom?  And are we then to assume Red Guardian is her dad?

I caught that too. No, they did not mention this in the previous teaser or trailers that I caught. Very interesting.

Someone suggested in another forum that it's all playful and that Yelena isn't her sister and the others aren't her parents, they just sort of filled maternal and paternal roles on the team.  Guess we'll find out.  Certainly that makes more sense given that Weisz is only 15 years older than Scarlett and David Harbour is only 9 years older than Scarlett.

Edited by fantastic_four

Yesterday’s Black Widow trailer provided an excellent distraction from the poor global debut of Pixar’s Onward, while today’s Jungle Cruise trailer (and good buzz from last night’s Mulan premiere) will further mitigate the animated film’s lousy initial showing. That’s not conspiratorial thinking. One reason I was less concerned about Universal’s double whiff with Cats ($97 million on a $95 million budget) and Dolittle ($217 million on a $175 million budget) is that I knew they had (until recently) the one-two-three punch of No Time to Die, F9 and Minions: Rise of Gru this Spring/summer. If the trailer for Black Widow was supposed to distract you from Onward, then the Black Widow poster was supposed to remind you of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Offhand, the full theatrical one-sheet is pretty conventional as far as MCU movies go. You have the title character standing at the center, with a heroic pose, while the supporting cast exists around them amid bits and pieces of spectacle and action. Those posters may be boilerplate, but they get the job done, highlighting the main character, the well-known/popular actors and the promise of top-tier spectacle. In that sense, they aren’t unlike the old-school 007 posters. But this specific poster stood out by virtue of how it positioned its top-billed hero. Scarlett Johansson is center-stage and striking an almost identical pose to the one she had in almost all of the core marketing for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I’m 99.9% certain that wasn’t an accident.

I’m not sure how big Cate Shortland’s Black Widow movie will be when it opens this summer. Oh, I’m sure it will perform at least to par in terms of budget and reasonable expectations, but this is a prequel concerning a dead MCU superhero. And to the extent that the world still wants a Black Widow movie, I would argue the peak “strike while the iron is hot” moment for such a thing would have been either in 2015 after Captain America: The Winter Soldier or 2017 after Captain America: Civil War. This movie takes place between Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War, so it arguably would have been more anticipated as a present-tense adventure and after Natasha took a long walk off a short cliff.

Black Widow could pull Thor: Ragnarok grosses ($315 million domestic and $854 million worldwide in 2017) or it could, give or take China, pull Ant-Man and the Wasp grosses ($216 million/$619 million in 2019). Neither would spell doom-n-gloom, especially if it’s a good movie. But to the extent that the Black Widow marketing wants to get audiences and fans excited, reminding them of what may be the best Black Widow “movie” in the MCU is an easy choice. There are those who argue that the Russo Bros.’ The Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel movie. Regardless, it set the tone (in terms of appropriating different genres and besting the genuine article) for the MCU as a dominating force in Hollywood franchise filmmaking.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

An article from Variety on how postponing BW could affect the Marvel Universe.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/marvel-movies-mcu-coronavirus-1203536981/

Interesting points how these films are building blocks in the grander MCU franchise storyline, and how one out-of-line delivery could disrupt the follow-on film's details at times.

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

An article from Variety on how postponing BW could affect the Marvel Universe.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/marvel-movies-mcu-coronavirus-1203536981/

Is this Variety article trying to manufacture/hype hysteria in MCU fandom? I don't see how a Black Widow delay would ripple affect the entire MCUverse. The next MCU installment after BW is Falcon Winter Soldier but that's three months after the prevously planned Widow release. So it'll come out in June or July. No big deal. If anything, it'll create more anticipation for the movie.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Is this Variety article trying to manufacture/hype hysteria in MCU fandom? I don't see how a Black Widow delay would ripple affect the entire MCUverse. The next MCU installment after BW is Falcon Winter Soldier but that's three months after the prevously planned Widow release. So it'll come out in June or July. No big deal. If anything, it'll create more anticipation for the movie.

giphy.gif

We don't yet know how tightly Black Widow is tied into the rest of the future MCU continuity.

Nor do we yet know whether it will actually come out in "June or July."

Seems highly unlikely Black Widow will spoil anything in Falcon and Winter Soldier, but who knows, guess we'll see what happens.  I aborted the article after the first paragraph or two once that occurred to me.