• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

597 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Apparently they're trying to give us perspective

Yup.  Forced perspective.  Kirby made it look deceptively easy. 

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

these are actual published Marvel comics?????

Wow, just ...awful.

Around the mid to late nineties it seemed that creators were much more concerned with new technologies and new mediums being used as opposed to what actually looks good.  You see the same thing happening in education these days.  

That Fantastic Four 39 cover is gorgeous.  Same with ASM 51, and really too many others to list from those eras.  All were done with limited color palate and printing capability.  Even though, they were able to capture the imaginations of thousands and inspire.  To this day many higher grade SA, BA, or even CA covers are striking in their ability to make you just want to buy whatever issue they are on. 

On 18/01/2018 at 7:55 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Here's a two-fer. Both are Moderns, and they're both hideous in their own special way. 

This one just looks so amateurish, and I'm not a fan of Storm's new look and codename: Horseface.

RtcvKOi.jpg

Okay, I've looked at this car crash of a cover many times over the last few days, and I just keep thinking that Storm must sound like this...

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 20/01/2018 at 1:20 AM, Aweandlorder said:

Lo and behold!!

Oops! Sorry Aweandlorder,  you must think I hijacked your old thread. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to have fun with the Byrne ASM 13 and it took off. I was expecting one like followed by thread death to be honest. But people do like to rib bad covers it seems! :foryou:

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Is that X-Men Gold cover for real?  I'm ... speechless!

^^

We can close this thread now.  Nothing is going to top that book.

I agree! But we can all move over to Aweandlorders original thread now, and carry on :D

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Oops! Sorry Aweandlorder,  you must think I hijacked your old thread. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to have fun with the Byrne ASM 13 and it took off. I was expecting one like followed by thread death to be honest. But people do like to rib bad covers it seems! :foryou:

I agree! But we can all move over to Aweandlorders original thread now, and carry on :D

I was merely shamelessly promoting my own agenda... But together we are a force to be reckoned with! 

Byrne, Mcfarlane & Hadad!

Let the marathon of ugly covers begin!!

Edited by Aweandlorder

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I was merely shamelessly promoting my own agenda... But together we are a force to be reckoned with! 

Byrne, Mcfarlane & Hadad!

Let the marathon of ugly covers begin!!

:headbang:

On 1/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Here's a two-fer. Both are Moderns, and they're both hideous in their own special way. 

This one just looks so amateurish, and I'm not a fan of Storm's new look and codename: Horseface.

RtcvKOi.jpg

Then there's this masterpiece... :whatthe:

BWqmx5m.jpg

Wolverine has transformed into the Rhino..........

On 1/18/2018 at 11:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I like the cover. Steranko draws a Hulk that looks very feral and threatening.

Me too !! Cap #110 is an all-time classic cover !! nothing wrong with it at all !! might be the best cover of the entire run....

On 19/01/2018 at 4:40 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I like 99% of it 5a64aae4afe17_eyeeye.PNG.d6668dcc2fb82c17d5ddf8dfd47e4c30.PNG

1 minute ago, letsgrumble said:

Wonder Man #26. Dreadful cover.

No background, yet debris is flying everywhere. And what's with the Hulk's face? Looks like he belongs in the Smoky Mountain Wrestling circuit.

Wonder_Man_Vol_1_26.jpg.95298b87ec5b9f419acfca1d3d0951b2.jpg

5a64abb93af92_oldhulk.PNG.4f07b5f2dde7572e12afc1ebe2faf9dc.PNG Image result for j jonah burst out laughing gif

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
On 1/18/2018 at 11:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I like 99% of it 5a64aae4afe17_eyeeye.PNG.d6668dcc2fb82c17d5ddf8dfd47e4c30.PNG

Kirby, Trimpe, Severin, Buscema maintained a solid look for the Hulk through to the 1980s. He's been inconsistently drawn ever since.