• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the cheapest anyone’s seen AC 1 or DC 27

80 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2018 at 5:33 PM, Gotham Kid said:

550K was full asking price.

Looks like the buyer is gambling that at some future time the hobby will change its mind about these books.  Otherwise seems way too high. 

On 2018-01-19 at 7:04 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

What year did you first start going to cherokee?  My first year was 1966, and the Batman 11 in the window was $25 then.  Burt had long hair, sunglasses, and burned incense in the inner room.  I liked Burt because he would give you deals.  One day I asked him if there were any comics for $1 in the inner room.  He pulled a cardboard box out from under his desk that was full of Batmans from like #60-#90.  Here's two of them...notice they have the same arrival markings in the top left corner...

16388703337_b0365a1894_c.jpg

16548633376_c8ed8a5d74_c.jpg

Holy ?!!  Batman 11 for $25 in 1966????  Who in the world did they think would pay that in 1966 for a used comic?

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Looks like the buyer is gambling that at some future time the hobby will change its mind about these books.  Otherwise seems way too high. 

I'm thinking the buyer is from Europe.

Edited by Gotham Kid

10 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Every time I see your name I think it says "Petsmart"... lol

For your first year I used to picture the cover to Weird Mysteries 5 every time you posted because I thought you were Tri.colorBRAIN ........ GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, otherworldsj331 said:

Not a Action 1, but in 1969 I asked my dad to buy me a Superman 1 at My Friends Book store on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn. Paul Levitz later worked there as well as Roger Stern. They were known for their considerable comic inventory probably more then their books.  They said they could get a Superman 1 for $100. My dad said no way would he pay $100 for a "used comic". The grade was never even discussed. So instead he got me a Act 37 and Batman 14, for $20 each. Both around vg+/fine.

I recall seeing an Action 1 for sale at the 1971 NYC July 4th convention. I was only 12 at the time, so no way I could afford the $200 ask price. I do not remember the dealer or condition. 

Much later, around 1982 I was at a book store on 86th street on Brooklyn NY. The owner was known to deal in comics. Fischler often went there; I did not go there so much. Anyway, I was offered a Act 1 for $1800 at the time. I think it was around fine. I just did not have the money for it.

Wow... My Friends Bookstore...  it was an incredible place for kids in Flatbush back then. Always hated that they price marked all the comics they had in the bins in the corner where the CCA stamp was. You could always tell a book that came from there by the magic maker price in the corner. I have a friend who still has his whole childhood collection including hundreds of those books. For years they had a copy of All Star #36 with the Superman Batman cover on top in the glass case up front where they kept the good stuff. I assembled a collection of Spider-Man back to #2 and FF back to #3 from that case. They're long gone but I still remember what they looked like.

The bookstore on 86th Street was a similar type place. I think it was near 20th or 21st Avenue. It was still there into the 90's and they had a significant back stock of the Marvel Key Golden Record Reprints for $15-$25 each depending on how the owner felt that day. They must have been from a warehouse as they had dozens of them. I bought several of each back then, including some NM ones, and used them for trade bait. They also still had random hoards of 60's Marvels - I remember a short box of Marvel Superheroes #12 & Ghost Rider (1967) #1's that I picked some out of. I still have one of the Ghost Rider #1's.

At the Seuling shows in the mid 70's , we considered it a "good show" if you saw Action 1 and/or Detective 27 there, which was quite often. They were in the several hundreds of dollars and up range at the time. One time a guy was showing a dealer a stack of books, each separated by a piece of cardboard. He started flipping the cardboards over one at a time and we were amazed to see 2 copies of Detective 27 in a row. I'd love to know where they are now.  

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Wow... My Friends Bookstore...  it was an incredible place for kids in Flatbush back then. Always hated that they price marked all the comics they had in the bins in the corner where the CCA stamp was. You could always tell a book that came from there by the magic maker price in the corner. I have a friend who still has his whole childhood collection including hundreds of those books. For years they had a copy of All Star #36 with the Superman Batman cover on top in the glass case up front where they kept the good stuff. I assembled a collection of Spider-Man back to #2 and FF back to #3 from that case. They're long gone but I still remember what they looked like.

The bookstore on 86th Street was a similar type place. I think it was near 20th or 21st Avenue. It was still there into the 90's and they had a significant back stock of the Marvel Key Golden Record Reprints for $15-$25 each depending on how the owner felt that day. They must have been from a warehouse as they had dozens of them. I bought several of each back then, including some NM ones, and used them for trade bait. They also still had random hoards of 60's Marvels - I remember a short box of Marvel Superheroes #12 & Ghost Rider (1967) #1's that I picked some out of. I still have one of the Ghost Rider #1's.

At the Seuling shows in the mid 70's , we considered it a "good show" if you saw Action 1 and/or Detective 27 there, which was quite often. They were in the several hundreds of dollars and up range at the time. One time a guy was showing a dealer a stack of books, each separated by a piece of cardboard. He started flipping the cardboards over one at a time and we were amazed to see 2 copies of Detective 27 in a row. I'd love to know where they are now.  

I maintain that if a key book such as AC 1 or Det 27 survived up to the "comic collecting era" that it's a pretty good bet that it's still out there.  It may not have been seen since the early to mid 70s but it is still out there...

Edited by pemart1966

11 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I maintain that if a key book such as AC 1 or Det 27 survived up to the "comic collecting era" that it's a pretty good bet that it's still out there.  It may not have been seen since the early to mid 70s but it is still out there...

That's probably mostly right. But I think there would be a small attrition rate due to fire, flood, varmints and collector's families/executors being clueless and tossing them.

18 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I remember that glass case in the front. If I recall correctly, it was a husband and wife that owned the store. The wife, I think her name was Dottie, was usually the one there when I went. 

I would love going into the back of the store where those old wooden shelving was. They had lower grade books from the around a year or two old to as far back as the early 60's in that area. I think it was something like 12 for a dollar. Lots of DC's, and less Marvels.

I usually walked out with a stack of around at least 20 to 30 comics.

Edited by otherworldsj331
Spacing of sentences.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:16 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:
On 1/23/2018 at 6:51 PM, pemart1966 said:

Holy ?!!  Batman 11 for $25 in 1966????  Who in the world did they think would pay that in 1966 for a used comic?

Nobody did...and I watched that book fade in the sun year after year...

I've told this story before, but when I was a kid in San Francisco there was a used book store in the Tenderloin district that sold old comics for a nickel.  Then, one day, the owner discovered Overstreet.  He immediately marked up his books (to Overstreet's "Mint" prices, naturally).  His prize was a copy of Superboy 1 that he prominently displayed, with a price of $12, in the store window. Nobody was willing to buy it at that price, so the cover gradually got bleached out by the sun. 

Reading all of these stories from decades past, just have to wonder how many are out there that are not accounted for in the census - I'm thinking significantly more than anyone has made an educated guess about on here

Anyone want to start the guessing again about how many AC1's and Tec27's  have survived to 2018 ?

I would imagine at least 500% more are out there than in the census for the more common books, but for the Ac1 and Tec27...maybe only 200-300% more...U gotta remember, not all collectors from the 60s and 70s are still active, and only a very few are aware of these boards.  Many are not even aware of CGC...

33 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I would imagine at least 500% more are out there than in the census for the more common books, but for the Ac1 and Tec27...maybe only 200-300% more...U gotta remember, not all collectors from the 60s and 70s are still active, and only a very few are aware of these boards.  Many are not even aware of CGC...

I  would think the “upward gravity” of these 2 books’ value would’ve probably brought most of them to market in the past 2-3 decades.