• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Love Zack Snyder ✔️
Captain Marvel mediocre ✔️
Love TFA and hate TLJ .... Just the reverse for me.  
Maybe not love for TLJ but I really enjoyed it. TFA was just another Death Star being blown up.

Recite a 1-minute clip of TLJ that is enjoyable plz.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Recite a 1-minute clip of TLJ that is enjoyable plz.

I liked grumpy jaded Luke. Loved the light speed sacrifice and the reveal he fought without actually being there. Yes, there were moments I didn’t like at all like Mary Poppins but overall I liked the tone shifting from the norm.

3 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I liked grumpy jaded Luke.

Loved the light speed sacrifice...

...and the reveal he fought without actually being there.

Yes, there were moments I didn’t like at all like Mary Poppins but overall I liked the tone shifting from the norm.

Then I would say that you don't like Luke Skywalker. As the protagonist of IV-VI, I have no idea how any fan or writer of Star Wars lore can enjoy this take on such a profoundly optimistic character in nature (as portrayed by Hamill and Lucas).

I would've liked it had a meaningful character made it. Anyone other than some freaking n00b. With all that Poe was fighting for - a reason for hope, a mutiny for hope - that would've been another subverted expectation that would have made sense (as opposed to the carp we actually got). "Oh, leader, you do have a plan!? I want to help. Everyone get to safety." After the stunt he pulled in the opening sequence it would have fit perfectly with his character.

Hate hate hate it. Can't even explain how much I hated it. F-ing cowardly. "Confronting fear is the destiny of the Jedi" in the ROS trailers sounds like Luke. Having a brain fart and turning to Thanos dust doesn't.

Luke turning into a hiding coward is a retread of Obi-Wan and Yoda. Luke was supposed to be different from them. It's more of the same - except worse. Luke chose to be a coward. The former two were being hunted while one of them was also looking over Luke.

I'm having a Luke Skywalker brain aneurysm retreading all of my hate for this movie. :pullhair:

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Then I would say that you don't like Luke Skywalker. As the protagonist of IV-VI, I have no idea how any fan or writer of Star Wars lore can enjoy this take on such a profoundly optimistic character in nature (as portrayed by Hamill and Lucas).

I would've liked it had a meaningful character made it. Anyone other than some freaking n00b. With all that Poe was fighting for - a reason for hope, a mutiny for hope - that would've been another subverted expectation that would have made sense (as opposed to the carp we actually got). "Oh, leader, you do have a plan!? I want to help. Everyone get to safety." After the stunt he pulled in the opening sequence it would have fit perfectly with his character.

Hate hate hate it. Can't even explain how much I hated it. F-ing cowardly. "Confronting fear is the destiny of the Jedi" in the ROS trailers sounds like Luke. Having a brain fart and turning to Thanos dust doesn't.

Luke turning into a hiding coward is a retread of Obi-Wan and Yoda. Luke was supposed to be different from them. It's more of the same - except worse. Luke chose to be a coward. The former two were being hunted while one of them was also looking over Luke.

I'm having a Luke Skywalker brain aneurysm retreading all of my hate for this movie. :pullhair:

So... 7 out 10 for you?  Low 7?

Nope, I love the character and understand the departure from his former self. I would have preferred that he returned somewhat before his end though. Yes, a better story could have been told but I still liked it more than the rehash of TWA.

Just now, Oddball said:

So... 7 out 10 for you?  Low 7?

Nope, I love the character and understand the departure from his former self. I would have preferred that he returned somewhat before his end though. Yes, a better story could have been told but I still liked it more than the rehash of TWA.

lol

2.5 out of 10 for me...

I saw it this afternoon. It wasn't what I was hoping for, by a country mile. There were a few good moments and some good use of previous musical themes but overall I was completely underwhelmed. I've come straight in here without reading anyone else's thoughts, but I'll be surprised if anyone thinks this is the ending the story deserved.

Two stand out characters struggling in a sea of also-rans. You can't force interplay or chemistry. It works or it doesn't. And you can't force magic. For all their flaws, the original trilogy had magic. It has been stubbornly elusive in the last three. 

Oh well. I so wanted it to thrill me and will have to console myself with the version in my head.

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I saw it this afternoon. It wasn't what I was hoping for, by a country mile. There were a few good moments and some good use of previous musical themes but overall I was completely underwhelmed. I've come straight in here without reading anyone else's thoughts, but I'll be surprised if anyone thinks this is the ending the story deserved.

Two stand out characters struggling in a sea of also-rans. You can't force interplay or chemistry. It works or it doesn't. And you can't force magic. For all their flaws, the original trilogy had magic. It has been stubbornly elusive in the last three. 

Oh well. I so wanted it to thrill me and will have to console myself with the version in my head.

:banana:

1 hour ago, Foley said:

I'm not so sure. At the end of Revenge of the Sith all he did was cry and whine.

That's a good joke, but don't forget that Luke was also a whiny little person_without_enough_empathy throughout *all* of Star Wars and half of Empire.

His arc and portrayal in TLJ is entirely consistent with that of Yoda's and Obi-Wans -- that true Jedi masters tire of war, understand it's not the answer, and (tend to) retreat to the shadows in their later years. From Yoda's "Wars not make one great" introduction and initial reluctance to train him, through to Ben's world-weariness.

And Luke's *long* understood that violence is simply the way to the Dark Side. Hence why he throws away his lightsaber during the final battle with Vader in Jedi - just as he again throws it away when presented it by Rey.

His portrayal in the TLJ -- as a reluctant, reclusive pacifist -- is *entirely* consistent with how we saw elder Jedis portrayed in the OT.

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

And Luke's *long* understood that violence is simply the way to the Dark Side. Hence why he throws away his lightsaber during the final battle with Vader in Jedi - just as he again throws it away when presented it by Rey.

Except for when he was going to murder his nephew in his sleep.

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's a good joke, but don't forget that Luke was also a whiny little person_without_enough_empathy throughout *all* of Star Wars and half of Empire.

His arc and portrayal in TLJ is entirely consistent with that of Yoda's and Obi-Wans -- that true Jedi masters tire of war, understand it's not the answer, and (tend to) retreat to the shadows in their later years. From Yoda's "Wars not make one great" introduction and initial reluctance to train him, through to Ben's world-weariness.

His portrayal in the TLJ -- as a reluctant, reclusive pacifist -- is *entirely* consistent with how we saw elder Jedis portrayed in the OT.

I disagree with this assessment of Luke's arc and Jedi Masters in general.

Going with just what was given to us in the Original Trilogy movies, yes, when we first meet Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, they're portrayed as "crazy old Jedis." But as both A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back progress into their stories, we see there is more to them than just being "crazy hermits." We learn they have been waiting for Luke this whole time.

When we first meet Yoda on Dagobah, who is the real character? Is he some crazy little muppet who doesn't know Yoda and likes digging through Luke's stuff like a child? Of course not. He's a Jedi Master in complete control of his senses who is playing mind games with Luke to test his patience. We learn Yoda has been watching Luke his whole life. Yoda and Obi-Wan both understand that Luke may be the one to bring them back. Yoda is even aware of the potential for Leia. Neither Obi-Wan or Yoda have given up on life or on the Way of the Jedi. To say that Luke's poor attitude in Last Jedi is just in keeping with what all elder Jedi eventually do is, in my opinion, wrong. I see Luke's turn towards irony in TLJ as a poor attempt by the filmmakers to take Star Wars towards some weird intellectual deep thinking cinematic la la land. Star Wars is not intellectual and isn't ironic. Star Wars is pure fantasy adventure and it's best to keep it that way.

going to see it tonight with the gang, I have a bad feeling about it but will give it a shot 

I didn't think after TPM that it could get worse but TLJ did :facepalm:

Love The Mandalorian though

2c