• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Wow! Speaking of IMDb reviews, I was looking at someone that gate Rise of the Skywalker a 1.0/10 rating to understand what their issue was. Well, they certainly shared their opinions.

SPOILERS WARNING :news:

Reveal hidden contents

1/10 (Movie by committee) by kaspergordon17 December 2019

:whatthe:

Been hearing this same mess for 20 years now ever since Phantom Menace.

I generally enjoyed it.  Not as much as Force Awakens, but I'm not sure yet.  I do want to see it again which wasn't as much the case when I saw Last Jedi, which I didn't hate but also didn't love.  There's no doubt that the action sequences were ratcheted up to 11, and that's usually enough for me to have a good time.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think I shared so much data repeatedly, if you missed it I am not sure what else to share with you. Other than going on a road trip and tracking down who may have 'stacked the ballets'.

hm 

Yes but compare that with the previous movies and it doesn't seem to have more voting than normal

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Been hearing this same mess for 20 years now ever since Phantom Menace.

I generally enjoyed it.  Not as much as Force Awakens, but I'm not sure yet.  I do want to see it again which wasn't as much the case when I saw Last Jedi, which I didn't hate but also didn't love.  There's no doubt that the action sequences were ratcheted up to 11, and that's usually enough for me to have a good time.

Most probably someone with this many concerns posting a 1.0/10 had these things prepared in advance as long-standing grievances with Disney's direction.Many critics that didn't appreciate the overall film noted there were entertaining parts throughout. They just didn't like the direction. Though there was those like John Campea that strongly disliked the film.

24 minutes ago, Rip said:

Yes but compare that with the previous movies and it doesn't seem to have more voting than normal

Actually, there is a variance when you compare across the reviewer sites. But the consistency throughout the films for RT Audiences Ratings despite that inconsistent rating seems too stable. Especially since the ratings of the other sites all shifted much lower, other than the Metacritic Audience Score for The Last Jedi. But at least with TLJ both RT and Metracritic audience scores were consistent (43% to 44%).

DC_MCU_BO191221c.thumb.PNG.603239c1506398b3c45cdd87567c9b77.PNG

See what I mean?

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Actually, there is a variance when you compare across the reviewer sites. But the consistency throughout the films for RT Audiences Ratings despite that inconsistent rating seems too stable. Especially since the ratings of the other sites all shifted much lower, other than the Metacritic Audience Score for The Last Jedi. But at least with TLJ both RT and Metracritic audience scores were consistent (43% to 44%).

DC_MCU_BO191221c.thumb.PNG.603239c1506398b3c45cdd87567c9b77.PNG

See what I mean?

I DO understand as compared with those other sites which is why I'm guessing it has more to do with the mind set there bucking the trend and wanting to be heard.

4 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

So what’s the consensus for this episode? Debating if I should spend the money for the theater or wait for tv. 

If you just want to except it for what it is, and will not to pick it at the seams.  Just watch it for the visuals, some decent performances, and some nice action sequences, you will be entertained.  If you are the type of person that intimately knows all the Star Wars lore, and is prone to dissecting each line, wants to look into and analyse each plot twist and plot hole, it may drive you crazy.  Skip it then.

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

So what’s the consensus for this episode? Debating if I should spend the money for the theater or wait for tv. 

Even many critics that are saying they didn't like it note you should at least see it once for the big action scenes. Well, other than Chris Stuckmann.

And Tyrone Magnus.

And John Campea. Although he did admit many will like this film.

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

Just got back.

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I feel a lot like the 1.0/10 poster above.

I had no problem with the gender/race balance (that some may think was pandering to the gods of political correctness) and it was great to actually see our new trio team up. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren was great.

I also *loved* a few of the cameos (and hated one).

But overall - it felt souless - like it was written by computer algorithm rather than by a true writer with vision. And there were two key emotional beats that I loved - but turned out to be fake-outs. So the film basically slots in as a Return of the Jedi remake, but one that takes fewer risks than even that film did.

As the credits rolled, the folks next to me said, "Wow - worse than Episode 8, and that's without anyone even drinking green milk."

Not as bad as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, but I expected more. Best analogy would be to Temple of Doom. Yes - it's a Star Wars movie, with fun action, pew pew blaster bolts, and lightsaber battles. But it lacked the magic of Rogue One, The Force Awakens, or the Last Jedi, let alone the Mandalorian or the original trilogy.

2.5 out of 4 -- or 6 out of 10.

Edited by Gatsby77

I liked Rise of Skywalker. Maybe the best of this new trilogy for me.  A few silly plot points here and there, but wasn’t as preposterous as Force Awakening and was a more streamlined Star Wars flick than The Next to the Last Jedi. This is the kind of movie I would have preferred in Last Jedi.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I liked Rise of Skywalker. Maybe the best of this new trilogy for me.  A few silly plot points here and there, but wasn’t as preposterous as Force Awakening and was a more streamlined Star Wars flick than The Next to the Last Jedi. This is the kind of movie I would have preferred in Last Jedi.

It was not as bad as the Last Jedi. I went in with incredibly low expectations and it's not as low as I expected. Still not as good as the Mandalorian.

This is the way

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

It was not as bad as the Last Jedi. I went in with incredibly low expectations and it's not as low as I expected. Still not as good as the Mandalorian.

This is the way

He has spoken! :rulez:

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$179MM, a TLJ multiple of 2.8x gets it to $500MM; who would have bet Joker would outgross Star Wars WW?

Rise of Skywatcher has only been out 2.5 days. The movie is also a better time at the movies than the increasingly unreliable Rotten Potatoes score would have us believe. I think good word of mouth, repeat viewings, and the normal January slate of movie releases pushes Star Wars Nine over a billion.