• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E. Gerber Full-Backs Board Texture Difference?

25 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kairos70 said:

I doubt if E. Gerber has a reliable quality control process.  More like, "hmph, that looks to be about right to me." I ordered some custom boards at a steep price once and none of the packs were the same. Some had a slant on the side while others had a slant on the top. I figured then they were just winging it and weren't high tech. They're a good company with a good product. Just flawed in some areas.

That’s too bad. I have plenty of higher grade issues that I need to store, but I want to wait for better boards. At least sleeve quality has been consistent. 

On 1/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, finalfan7asy said:

That’s too bad. I have plenty of higher grade issues that I need to store, but I want to wait for better boards. At least sleeve quality has been consistent. 

I am amazed and happy that they seem to have entered the late 20th century with email replies. 

though, I won't be ordering anything from them until I see an improvement to their boards. I've ordered 3000 full backs from them over the last 5 years and have never seen this defect. something tells me theyve either introduced a new process in their production perhaps at an attempt to cut costs or improve speed of production or one of their machines is hosed.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:39 AM, CatskillMike said:

Glad it is working out.  But I do have to say that the words"great customer service" and "E. Gerber" are rarely used together. 

I hear lots of people complain about them, but I've never once had an issue.

I guess this is one of those situations where your experience may vary.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, finalfan7asy said:

They received my sample board and informed me it’s fine. The lines that are present are from a process called “checking” which straightens the board. I was also informed that the lines will not cause any damage to comics.  

The next load has arrived and has similar texture.

They gave me the same response, and I have to say that they responded to my emails, which was a very pleasant surprise.  But my experience has been different in terms of whether or not the creasing impacts the book.  I've been buying from EGP for maybe 25 years and, through serendipity, had one other batch of boards from maybe 15 years ago with a similar issue.  I used them on books from the mid-1990s, some of which have very flimsy, yet very shiny, cover stock.  After approx. 10 years of sitting very tightly packed with other books in boxes, you can see traces of those same crease in the shine of some of the covers - especially the dark ones.  Not every book, and nothing major.  But at the same time, the sort of thing that I'm guessing could turn a 9.6 into a 9.4 or whatever by the slab companies?  

In terms of the comment of EGP being very pricey, I don't have a dog in this fight, so - wth respect - suggest you first compare EGP's pricing against its main competitor out of Massachusetts before saying EGP is very pricey ...