Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
2 2

84 posts in this topic

Getoutandstayout   
  • Member
  • 51 posts
  • Location: Central Florida

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark Knight   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 10,762 posts
  • Location: The Batcave

Not sure what to make of it either, but IH 181 has always been a hot book. Boardies have been saying it for years to pickup a copy asap before prices skyrocket as we see it today. It's probably THE bronze age book to own, so not too surprised about where it sells now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecranu   
  • Member
  • 184 posts
  • Location: 38.7907° N, 121.2358° W

It's being driven by the lower grade prices and trickling up.  Collectors jumping in late, continue to stretch for accessible copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Getoutandstayout   
  • Member
  • 51 posts
  • Location: Central Florida
2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Always has been. It is however a Bronze age book as you certainly know, bringing on a more appropriate discussion in the Bronze Forum.

Yeah, I realized that after a saw a similar topic in that forum. Oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
*Bronze age fan*   
  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey

It's not the right forum but this is a golden book. No hype. It's one of the most popular characters. No bubble. I would be shocked it you ever lost value holding this comic. It's a sure fire will increase in value and it will sell for the most times, very quickly. Because so many people want one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasmit990   
  • Member
  • 38 posts
  • Location: Florida

 

Over 10k graded with 600 restored.  imo it will see ups and downs over time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ComicConnoisseur   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 22,590 posts
  • Location: Boston area.
On 1/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

Just about all HULK#181s have doubled in price in any grade from 5 years ago. This comic will turn into another AF#15.

HULK#181 and AF#15s are the safest bets as you will get in the comic book collecting world.

This should be moved to Bronze Age forum.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ComicConnoisseur   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 22,590 posts
  • Location: Boston area.
2 hours ago, jasmit990 said:

 

Over 10k graded with 600 restored.  imo it will see ups and downs over time.  

10k really isn't a lot when there are millions of Wolverine fans.

Now if there was a million copies of this graded I could see the argument.

The comic book will continue to go up like AF#15

 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ComicConnoisseur   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 22,590 posts
  • Location: Boston area.
17 hours ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

It's not the right forum but this is a golden book. No hype. It's one of the most popular characters. No bubble. I would be shocked it you ever lost value holding this comic. It's a sure fire will increase in value and it will sell for the most times, very quickly. Because so many people want one. 

Agreed. In real estate it's location,location and location.

With comic books it's demand,demand and demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aardvark88   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 10,177 posts
  • Location: Raccoon City, Canada
27 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

With comic books it's demand,demand and demand.

I find strong demand for 1st real app. of Wolverine in Hulk #180, as the retail or comicon price is way less than Hulk #181 even with MVS cut-out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callaway29   

Personally, I’m steering clear of 181 due to it’s availability...we all have different crystal balls though. The only opinions I don’t respect are the ones presenting their predictions as facts.

Edited by Callaway29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ComicConnoisseur   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 22,590 posts
  • Location: Boston area.
18 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, I’m steering clear of 181 due to it’s availability...we all have different crystal balls though. The only opinions I don’t respect are the ones presenting their predictions as facts.

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade. I would suggest to pick up up a price guide from 5 years ago and compare it to one now or go on Heritage Auctions and look at the selling prices for Hulk #181 5 years ago as compared to now.

The numbers don't lie and support that Hulk #181s have projected upward these last 5 years.

The Hulk 181s have doubled in price in any grade before Disney got back the rights. I can only imagine the prices 5 years from now will continue upward mobility.

Investing in Hulk#181s has been a better bet than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account these last 5 years with miniscule interest rates. 

Really it is a no brainer to try to pick up a few Hulk #181s now in any condition because the price will be higher later in 5 years.

I bet some people 5 years ago wished they got in on AF#15 ,but hesitated because they thought the bubble was going to burst or there will be a market correction.

In my opinion low-grade-mid-grade Hulk #181s are safe bets for going up.

Other than AF#15 I can't think of a safer bet in post-1961 comics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1950's war comics   
  • Member
  • 4,787 posts
  • Location: looking forward to the Olympics
5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade. I would suggest to pick up up a price guide from 5 years ago and compare it to one now or go on Heritage Auctions and look at the selling prices for Hulk #181 5 years ago as compared to now.

The numbers don't lie and support that Hulk #181s have projected upward these last 5 years.

The Hulk 181s have doubled in price in any grade before Disney got back the rights. I can only imagine the prices 5 years from now will continue upward mobility.

Investing in Hulk#181s has been a better bet than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account these last 5 years with miniscule interest rates. 

Really it is a no brainer to try to pick up a few Hulk #181s now in any condition because the price will be higher later in 5 years.

I bet some people 5 years ago wished they got in on AF#15 ,but hesitated because they thought the bubble was going to burst or there will be a market correction.

In my opinion low-grade-mid-grade Hulk #181s are safe bets for going up.

Other than AF#15 I can't think of a safer bet in post-1961 comics.

 

and to think i was wasting my money buying 1950's war comics back in 2013 lol  xD it was still lots of fun , just not as lucrative as IH181

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1950's war comics   
  • Member
  • 4,787 posts
  • Location: looking forward to the Olympics
7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

10k really isn't a lot when there are millions of Wolverine fans.

Now if there was a million copies of this graded I could see the argument.

The comic book will continue to go up like AF#15

 

while i don't have Wolverine's first appearance thankfully i do have the Punishers (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callaway29   
9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade. I would suggest to pick up up a price guide from 5 years ago and compare it to one now or go on Heritage Auctions and look at the selling prices for Hulk #181 5 years ago as compared to now.

The numbers don't lie and support that Hulk #181s have projected upward these last 5 years.

The Hulk 181s have doubled in price in any grade before Disney got back the rights. I can only imagine the prices 5 years from now will continue upward mobility.

Investing in Hulk#181s has been a better bet than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account these last 5 years with miniscule interest rates. 

Really it is a no brainer to try to pick up a few Hulk #181s now in any condition because the price will be higher later in 5 years.

I bet some people 5 years ago wished they got in on AF#15 ,but hesitated because they thought the bubble was going to burst or there will be a market correction.

In my opinion low-grade-mid-grade Hulk #181s are safe bets for going up.

Other than AF#15 I can't think of a safer bet in post-1961 comics.

 

Yes, it is factual that 181 has increased in price dramatically. It is not a fact that past performance guarantees future results, OR that 181 will mimic AF15.

Is it possible? Sure...but let’s be clear, chasing ultra hot books is a high risk game. We’ve all done it, but for me...chasing a red hot book with >10k graded copies is asking for trouble...

I’m a respectful gent though...please nobody take this as me peeing on your parade. I applaud profits had, childhood memories relived, and wish the very best luck to folks taking the plunge, regardless of your motives.(thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasmit990   
  • Member
  • 38 posts
  • Location: Florida

 

Collectors are hoading several copies of this book, probably a good thing for the patient buyer.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rainmaker   
  • Member
  • 332 posts
  • Location: So Cal

great cover, first appearance of one of the top 5 all time popular heroes... whats not to like?  perfectly wrapped book with deep colors and white pages already bring a premium, but they will start to separate even more dramatically as time goes on.  

set a budget, find the best copy you can and dont look back (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jsilverjanet   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 25,217 posts
  • Location: one point :facepalm:

When books in certain grades sell for similar prices like this book, that to me is a clear indicator people are overpaying - great book to have to sell but not a great book to buy in low and mid grade. There is no reason a 3.0 and 5.5 of this book should be separated by a hundred dollars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2

  • Welcome! Sign up and jump in!

    Membership and use of the boards is FREE! The knowledge available on these boards about comic collecting is an amazing resource for less experienced collectors. It's also a great place to talk about expert comic collecting topics with other experienced collectors. We hope that you find what you came looking for here, but more than that, we hope you find your new comic collecting home.

    Don't let the friendly banter and close knit community put you off. You're only a few posts from being part of the gang!

    After you sign up, introduce yourself! We'd love to know more about your collecting.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 24 February 2018 10:00 PM Until 25 February 2018 11:00 PM
      0  
      February 23-24: Warren, MI at the Macomb Community College!
      This is a GREAT show that I have attended for years.  It is a top 3 show in the state of Michigan and while certainly not as big as Motor City, it has more of an "old school" feel with a higher percentage of Comic Vendors.  This will be my first time selling at it, and I know @catrick339 and @Nick's Comics will both also be setup there too.  I have done a lot of business with both guys over the years so please check out their booths as well, great books, great prices, and slightly above average Hawaiian shirts (catrick only).
      Jim Steranko, Arvell Jones, Keith Pollard and many more comic book and pop culture creators and celebrities will be in attendance. 
      @Rich_Henn will be onsite as well for signatures.
      There are deals to be had at this show, hope some boardies can attend.  
      Show Web Site:
      http://www.greatlakescomiccon.org/
    • 25 February 2018 07:00 PM Until 26 February 2018 01:30 AM
      0  
      Expanded 13th giant-sized 3 hall comic and toy convention at Croatian Cultural Center in Vancouver, BC, Canada. 170 sold out vendor's tables full of pop culture and family fun. Admission is $8, kids under 13 FREE. Over 14,400 square feet, FREE parking, 11 minute walk from Commercial at Broadway skytrain station. Top door prizes are 2 x $100 gift certificates. More info, photos and updates at http://www.canadiancomics.net