• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, www.alexgross.com said:
On 2/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jaydogrules said:

it's pretty out of line with other recent sales. i think someone is hoping that copy will upgrade with a resubmit. it sure looks like a perfect copy, and could definitely come back as a 9.6, in which case it would have been a good price. 

This is a major flaw with today's market.

Upgradeable copies (or potentially upgradeable, perceived to be upgradeable or exception copies for grade ) sell all the time for record prices and these realized prices are often used as new benchmarks.

It happened last spring for AF #15, it's happened to Hulk #181 on more than one occasion (I would put this sale under that umbrella) and it continues to happen.

And it's not good for the market in the long term.

31 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Upgradeable copies (or potentially upgradeable, perceived to be upgradeable or exception copies for grade ) sell all the time for record prices and these realized prices are often used as new benchmarks.

It happened last spring for AF #15, it's happened to Hulk #181 on more than one occasion (I would put this sale under that umbrella) and it continues to happen.

Nice book, but if this guy was so sure it may grade higher why didn't it give it a shot? The differential between 9.2 and 9.4 isn't a TON, but 9.4 to 9.6 is a very nice incentive.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

the equally annoying converse of this is when a book seems overgraded, for example some of the AF15s that have brutal chipping all along the right side. when public auction results are disappointing for books like this, in low or mid grades, it tends to make everyone think the book is losing appeal, when in fact it is just a reflection of that particular copy. 

6 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the equally annoying converse of this is when a book seems overgraded, for example some of the AF15s that have brutal chipping all along the right side. when public auction results are disappointing for books like this, in low or mid grades, it tends to make everyone think the book is losing appeal, when in fact it is just a reflection of that particular copy. 

Agreed - to me this definitely highlights the limitations of GPA and how it shouldn’t be thought of necessarily as always an accurate indicator of FMV. I use GoCollect more when it isn’t con season (half the price), and though it used to use only Ebay as a source (though I think they’ve added more sources), every past sale you could click through to see photos of the book. Really easy convenient way of “scrubbing” the data to better understand either higher or lower prices. 

Would often see what you’re talking about - book was a “weak 9.8”, or book was a Newsstand which for some books do trade at a bit of a premium. 

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

Nice book, but if this guy was so sure it may grade higher why didn't it give it a shot? The differential between 9.2 and 9.4 isn't a TON, but 9.4 to 9.6 is a very nice incentive.

The seller gave a really long narrative about the skewing of the census from all the resubs going on. He states that the census for 9.4 and above is actually a lot lower because of these resubs. However, I don't see in all this narrative where he says anything about this copy having upgrade potential. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

I don't think he said it was upgradeable.

Some people are just risk averse and don't like to play that game. I eyeballed the book from the link provided and it definitely looked nice for the grade. That, added to the old label mythos and some people will overpay either for the shot at upgrade or simply to own a nice looking copy (or an old label).

Just ask @namisgr, who sold his collection at auction unpressed and set record numbers for most of his books.

Of course most reappeared in higher graded holders later but the fact is they sold for record prices for the grades at the time.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I don't think he said it was upgradeable.

Some people are just risk averse and don't like to play that game. I eyeballed the book from the link provided and it definitely looked nice for the grade. That, added to the old label mythos and some people will overpay either for the shot at upgrade or simply to own a nice looking copy (or an old label).

Just ask @namisgr, who sold his collection at auction unpressed and set record numbers for most of his books.

Of course most reappeared in higher graded holders later but the fact is they sold for record prices for the grades at the time.

I don't recall if he explicitly said it, but come on, it's absolutely implied.

I agree, the book looks great from the scans, but it just seems a bit odd. He's not wrong though, numbers are likely inflated, but there's still a ton of IH 181's out there!

10 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

I don't recall if he explicitly said it, but come on, it's absolutely implied.

Most sales have a lot of carnival barkering. I ignore what people say when buying and just use my own judgement.

This has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks. I told myself, as soon as I buy my Fantastic Four 5 (got a 4.0 OW to W) I would sell my Hulk 181 7.0 Whitepages and centered. 

Now I haven’t been able to get myself to sell it because of how crazy it’s gotten.

9 minutes ago, Turb0wned said:

This has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks. I told myself, as soon as I buy my Fantastic Four 5 (got a 4.0 OW to W) I would sell my Hulk 181 7.0 Whitepages and centered. 

Now I haven’t been able to get myself to sell it because of how crazy it’s gotten.

That’s extra incentive to sell! Good timing brotha...

So I'm curious.... specifically towards dealers here... how are you guys pricing Hulk 181s right now?

On most books, I look at 90 Day GPA, if it's hot book, I'll maybe look at last 5 sales, the last 30 days.

But with the Hulk 181s, it seems like every new sale is a RECORD BREAKING one.

How are you pricing? Either as a buyer or a seller........???

1 hour ago, Turb0wned said:

Just remember...Dr. Doom isn't Wolverine.  

1 minute ago, tdotcbc84 said:

So I'm curious.... specifically towards dealers here... how are you guys pricing Hulk 181s right now?

On most books, I look at 90 Day GPA, if it's hot book, I'll maybe look at last 5 sales, the last 30 days.

But with the Hulk 181s, it seems like every new sale is a RECORD BREAKING one.

How are you pricing? Either as a buyer or a seller........???

Dealers price it above GPA, Went to a show a few weeks ago and gpa for a 9.0 was 5K, He had it priced at 6K