• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I enjoyed Aquaman and Shazam a lot. Not much re-watch value because of their mediocre 3rd Acts. Wonder Woman suffers from the same problem.

I get bored by Aquaman after he gets the King's Armor. I get bored by Shazam after there are more than 1 of them on-screen. I get bored by WW after Ares reveals his identity.

Ahh. My bad. I thought you had said Shazam had not worked for you after not seeing it in the theater to begin with.

Sounds like Act 3 is your traditional dissatisfaction point with these films. Crazy, as Aquaman Act 3 is crammed full of action with all those battles taking place.

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

I get bored of movies with time eras between 1933-1945

Before I re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger prior to Infinity War's release, I remembered it being very boring because of its character-story-heavy content. However, it was very, very, good upon that re-watch.

I don't like many movies or shows that are history-heavy, either. It isn't escapist, for me, because I find that they're just usually very incorrect. Ditto war movies/shows (though Band of Brothers is F-ing amazing).

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ahh. My bad. I thought you had said Shazam had not worked for you after not seeing it in the theater to begin with.

Sounds like Act 3 is your traditional dissatisfaction point with these films. Crazy, as Aquaman Act 3 is crammed full of action with all those battles taking place.

Shazam had, like, 3 'major' flaws. It was good enough that I'm considering seeing Black Adam and Shazam 2 in-theaters. Mainly because they're not Zach Snyder products. Yes, I have a retarded method of determining what movies I will or will not see...

Aquaman is crammed full of CGI drek. That King vs Ocean Master fight was frickin' awesome, though (CGI chinstrap aside).

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Saving Private Ryan and a show like Band of Brothers bored you? :whatthe:

The beach scene on Saving Private Ryan...end of

Maybe Fury....

Inglorious Basterds....

Band of Brothers...absolutely not. I've read a few Ambrose books and compared to other Historians he is deplorable, even Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe, as text book as it was, was far better. So to adapt a television series based on his books...uggh.

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shazam had, like, 3 'major' flaws. It was good enough that I'm considering seeing Black Adam and Shazam 2 in-theaters. Mainly because they're not Zach Snyder products. Yes, I have a retarded method of determining what movies I will or will not see...

Aquaman is crammed full of CGI drek. That King vs Ocean Master fight was frickin' awesome, though (CGI chinstrap aside).

Agreed....

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Before I re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger prior to Infinity War's release, I remembered it being very boring because of its character-story-heavy content. However, it was very, very, good upon that re-watch.

I don't like many movies or shows that are history-heavy, either. It isn't escapist, for me, because I find that they're just usually very incorrect. Ditto war movies/shows (though Band of Brothers is F-ing amazing).

Unfortunately I do not have a high opinion of Stephen Ambrose as a historian, something about his writing style that throws me off so maybe I already had a hostile bias towards him before the series came out. There are so many better historians, but I haven't delved much into WW2, I would say Churchill did a good job in his series. I really enjoy reading Bernard Fall, S.L Marshall, Schwarzkopf (I like Autobiographies) Francis Fitzgerald, William Westmoreland. I found Ambrose sentence structure to be elementary

Edited by BaronSamedi

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

Unfortunately I do not have a high opinion of Stephen Ambrose as a historian, something about his writing style that throws me off so maybe I already had a hostile bias towards him before the series came out. There are so many better historians, but I haven't delved much into WW2. I really enjoy reading Bernard Fall, S.L Marshall, Schwarzkopf (I like Autobiographies) Francis Fitzgerald, William Westmoreland. I found Ambrose sentence structure to be elementary

I didn't read jack-s^&* about the series, author, or validity of the history. Band of Brothers is simply an entertaining show for me.

Your opinion holds its own personal weight. If you don't like it, and it sounds like you have good personal reason, I'm not gonna try to change your mind lol.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I didn't read jack-s^&* about the series, author, or validity of the history. Band of Brothers is simply an entertaining show for me.

Your opinion holds its own personal weight. If you don't like it, and it sounds like you have good personal reason, I'm not gonna try to change your mind lol.

It's not a big deal, I probably read too much.

Apologies for throwing the thread off topic

4 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

It's not a big deal, I probably read too much.

Apologies for throwing the thread off topic

There's no such thing.

These threads are often derailed by unrelated topics (like re-introducing Marvel vs DC for the billionth time), so it's refreshing to simply continue discussing movies and shows themselves. NBD.

6 minutes ago, D84 said:

This is my favorite movie thread because very little time is spent on Birds of Prey.

20 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

The beach scene on Saving Private Ryan...end of

Maybe Fury....

Inglorious Basterds....

Band of Brothers...absolutely not. I've read a few Ambrose books and compared to other Historians he is deplorable, even Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe, as text book as it was, was far better. So to adapt a television series based on his books...uggh.

I met Ambrose at one point while going through the Infantry Officer Basic Course where he came to speak. The guy was very personable, and seemed to know his subject matter quite well.

Unfortunately when he offered to sign copies of Band of Brothers for free (meaning he would give out books and sign them) I turned it down. Was overwhelmed with books thrown at us as part of the course. The last thing I needed was one more book.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately when he offered to sign copies of Band of Brothers for free (meaning he would give out books and sign them) I turned it down. Was overwhelmed with books thrown at us as part of the course. The last thing I needed was one more book.

As a collector I am surprised you didn't.

I wonder how you're refusal made him feel? I would feel mortified if I was offering a signed copy of my book to someone and they said "No"

13 minutes ago, D84 said:

This is my favorite movie thread because very little time is spent on Birds of Prey.

Well, we have all these experts to help guide the conversation. How could it not be fun.

itsatrickgetanaxe.gif.277ab85ec27a2a6c476fadd548a4158f.gif

There were folks contributing to discussing the film. But once it became the focus of a few wanting to ensure everyone knew they were not fans, that went out the window.

Tell us again how Birds of Prey isn't in theaters anymore. :baiting:

2 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

As a collector I am surprised you didn't.

I wonder how you're refusal made him feel? I would feel mortified if I was offering a signed copy of my book to someone and they said "No"

He totally understood when he saw the pile of field manuals and case study books we had to lug around. Thanked everyone for their service, and was quite open to talking more about his research.

But when your schedule starts with 5 AM physical training and goes to 6-7 PM outdoor and classroom work (Fort Benning's Building 4 is also referred to as 'Building Snore' because people pass out from the long days), you want to move on to the next topic. You are slammed-full of case studies about Civil War and WW II major events.

Prior to its international box office update, just $211K from hitting 2.4X production budget

DC_MCU_BO200315a.png.c28129c402cc3ae2e42a53d9f062f38b.png

WB really should move that Japan release date, which logically would bring it closer to 2.8X and closer to profitability at the box office.