• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1940s page

12 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, malvin said:

well.. my only useless insight is that if its as too low it would be gone. :nyah:

Malvin

Yeah. That could happen any time.  Last time i saw a plastino page was several years back on romitaman - around 5k.

Edited by Panelfan1

Too high...but the provision is there to make an offer.  I'm a stickler as to finding out the condition of the paper itself - especially something of this vintage.  Looks good in the photo but what does it look like in real life?

14 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Just saw this Plastino page.  

Is the price fmv, too high, too low?

Opinions welcome.

Al Plastino page link

act1.13114a.jpg

Is there a back scan? :roflmao:

But seriously, the condition looks OK. I’d be a little concerned about that pasted on Action Comics header. Given the age of the page (69 years old) that probably is loose or may have been re-glued at some point. 

I have a couple of pages in that age range. The paper stock is otherwise pretty hardy; better than modern stock  It’s thicker. No opinion on value, but it’s a really nice page  

Here’s what the published version looks like for reference. 

43E96CD9-1562-4796-8050-A2A4BECC16C3.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:

A page sold on Heritage Dec 2017 from Action 293 for just under $3k and earlier in 2017 a page from Superman 95 sold for a similar price.

I believe those are much later pieces? Does that make a difference for art by this artist? Opinions welcome.

55 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I believe those are much later pieces? Does that make a difference for art by this artist? Opinions welcome.

Probably not a whole lot, unless this was from a Key, and it’s not. It’s a nice golden age Supes panel page with him in all but one panel, including a classic flight pose. 

This is also very early Plastino Superman where he is aping Wayne Boring’s style. 

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Here is my general opinion on OA prices.

All original art is overpriced, ever single page ever offered for sale or sold.  How overpriced may vary but nothing is underpriced.  What this means is each buyer has to ask themselves if they like the piece enough to justify overpaying for it.  If your real question is "if I buy this piece at this price, can I sell it in a few months/years for more money" then you have your answer, pass on buying it because it is hard to know where prices will go on a piece like this.  The buyer pool seems to be limited on pages such as this so prices will not move fast in my opinion.  

11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Is there a back scan? :roflmao:

But seriously, the condition looks OK. I’d be a little concerned about that pasted on Action Comics header. Given the age of the page (69 years old) that probably is loose or may have been re-glued at some point. 

I have a couple of pages in that age range. The paper stock is otherwise pretty hardy; better than modern stock  It’s thicker. No opinion on value, but it’s a really nice page  

Here’s what the published version looks like for reference. 

43E96CD9-1562-4796-8050-A2A4BECC16C3.jpeg

Um...yeah...I'd absolutely ask for a scan of the back.  Any panel replacements, dialogue cut outs and/or foxing will become very evident.

I'd ask for high res scans too.  Can you tell by the photo whether there are any stats (beyond the banner at the top) or pasteups?

Can you tell whether the seller has artificially lightened the image to make the paper appear less brown or tan?

At thousands of $ asking price you'd be foolish not to ask...

Edited by pemart1966