• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever experienced damage to a book after passing on to CGC Grading.

13 posts in this topic

Hey all! 

Just to make a long story short, I was at a convention about a year ago and submitted a book I had signed by stan lee to CGC, yellow "Stan Lee label" and all. I was definitely nervous since I don't submit many comics, and this one in particular...walking around the convention floor with the book with SS witness and just the general way the people at the CGC booth and at Stan Lee's booth were handling my comic. The comic, SW #8, already signed and remarked by Zeck and Beatty earlier at the convention has been in my collection for years and I consider it my first real "key" addition to collection when I purchased it when I was younger. Needless to say, the comic was is NM condition all these years and I was sure that getting it graded it would come back in the 9.2-9.8 range. So you have to imagine my shock when it returned to me with a 7.5. Since it wasn't returned with grader notes, I jumped online and purchased the notes to find that it said " Large crease on back cover" ummm WHAT? Sure enough, on the back cover it literally looks like someone folded the page in half.  There is not a chance that I would have wasted the time and money for signatures and remarks on a comic that was in that shape. So it begs the question, has anyone ever heard of comics being damaged during the grading/handling process? And if so, what does the CGC do about it?Thank you all for your time.

The more you pass around a comic, the more chances it can get damaged somewhere in the pike.    I have only submitted to CGC 4 times in my life, back when they were just starting out, and had no problems with damage.  They have become so large, and do a huge volume now, I am sure it happens more often than you think.  

Waiting for the horror stories....:popcorn:

12 hours ago, Julto89 said:

Hey all! 

Just to make a long story short, I was at a convention about a year ago and submitted a book I had signed by stan lee to CGC, yellow "Stan Lee label" and all. I was definitely nervous since I don't submit many comics, and this one in particular...walking around the convention floor with the book with SS witness and just the general way the people at the CGC booth and at Stan Lee's booth were handling my comic. The comic, SW #8, already signed and remarked by Zeck and Beatty earlier at the convention has been in my collection for years and I consider it my first real "key" addition to collection when I purchased it when I was younger. Needless to say, the comic was is NM condition all these years and I was sure that getting it graded it would come back in the 9.2-9.8 range. So you have to imagine my shock when it returned to me with a 7.5. Since it wasn't returned with grader notes, I jumped online and purchased the notes to find that it said " Large crease on back cover" ummm WHAT? Sure enough, on the back cover it literally looks like someone folded the page in half.  There is not a chance that I would have wasted the time and money for signatures and remarks on a comic that was in that shape. So it begs the question, has anyone ever heard of comics being damaged during the grading/handling process? And if so, what does the CGC do about it?Thank you all for your time.

In the future, take detailed photos of the book before you surrender it to their care. I'd think they would take responsibility for damage caused while in their care, if it is properly documented.

Also,next time, leave the book inside a mylar and only cut out the area where you want it signed. 

BTW- Remove the comic after marking where the bag is to be cut.

15 hours ago, Julto89 said:

Hey all! 

CGC isn't going to do anything about it, it could have happened anywhere in the process. I don't understand why you didn't get the notes directly and you had to pay for them ? The submitter gets the notes free. While this kind of problem doesn't happen all the time, it does happen. Sorry.

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

CGC isn't going to do anything about it, it could have happened anywhere in the process. I don't understand why you didn't get the notes directly and you had to pay for them ? The submitter gets the notes free. While this kind of problem doesn't happen all the time, it does happen. Sorry.

I'm honestly not sure. It was maybe $5 for the grader notes? Either way, I kinda figured they won't do anything about it. And as for keeping the comic in a mylar and cutting out a space for the sig, I usually do that, but in this case...with Zeck and Beatty both doing remarks on the cover it had to come out.

So my second question. Is it worth sending the comic to pressed to remove the crease and resubmit for a higher grade? 

Last year at Planet Comicon, CGC was having a private signing with Chris Claremont and I gave them my Iron Fist #1 CGC graded 9.4 to have them have it signed and graded.   I got it back a 9.0 and was pretty ticked off as they were the ones who cracked the slab and handled it for the signing.  I contacted them and they said that is the risk I take . . . 

1 hour ago, SSkufan said:

Last year at Planet Comicon, CGC was having a private signing with Chris Claremont and I gave them my Iron Fist #1 CGC graded 9.4 to have them have it signed and graded.   I got it back a 9.0 and was pretty ticked off as they were the ones who cracked the slab and handled it for the signing.  I contacted them and they said that is the risk I take . . . 

Whhhaaaaattttttt!!!

11 hours ago, Julto89 said:

I'm honestly not sure. It was maybe $5 for the grader notes? Either way, I kinda figured they won't do anything about it. And as for keeping the comic in a mylar and cutting out a space for the sig, I usually do that, but in this case...with Zeck and Beatty both doing remarks on the cover it had to come out.

So my second question. Is it worth sending the comic to pressed to remove the crease and resubmit for a higher grade? 

From your description of the crease, that it literally looked like someone had folded the paper over, and the fact that you got a 7.5 (a pretty severe downgrade), I suspect a press will do little to no good. A press would help if it's a non coloring breaking light fold but it sounds like this is a permanent crease that cannot be removed. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

From your description of the crease, that it literally looked like someone had folded the paper over, and the fact that you got a 7.5 (a pretty severe downgrade), I suspect a press will do little to no good. A press would help if it's a non coloring breaking light fold but it sounds like this is a permanent crease that cannot be removed. Not your fault but why do believe think a press will cure anything ?

I honestly have no experience with cleaning/pressing and wasn't sure how severe of a crease it would correct. Its on back cover, but since its in the slab its kind of hard to tell if breaks any color.

1 minute ago, Julto89 said:

I honestly have no experience with cleaning/pressing and wasn't sure how severe of a crease it would correct. Its on back cover, but since its in the slab its kind of hard to tell if breaks any color.

If you can, show us a close up pic, but as you said it's hard to tell through the slab. You may have to view it at a couple different angles but can you see a crease ? From the grade, I'm thinking it is a definite crease. A light fold would have graded higher, maybe 9.0 range but 7.5 sounds bad.

21 hours ago, Julto89 said:

Scans would be helpful, but so would a few shots from different angles showing the defect from different perspectives. 

My local comic shop has a press and he pressed a Batman that was beyond horrible to show me what they can do.When he was done I was greatly surprised how much it helped. The person pressing I think just has to know what they are doing. But scan some pics man let us see.

I press my own books and have made terrible covers with indents spine ticks you name it come out looking like glass.   As long as it doesn't break color I would say you won't even be able to tell it was there.

Edited by BrntWS6