• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justin Hammer / Peter Cushing
1 1

75 posts in this topic

On 22/01/2018 at 2:10 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Just curious if anyone knows if John Romita Jr. ever discussed in an interview basing the character of Justin Hammer on actor Peter Cushing (who became famous working for Hammer films).

Justin-Hammer-Marvel-Comics-Iron-Man.jpg

516098-justinham.jpg

Tarkin_DS.jpg

You might have seen it, but it's discussed here by Bob Layton:

http://www.boblayton.com/interview-with-bob-by-dolmen-magazine/

Vicente: You also created Justin Hammer, a major villain in the series. Do you remember how was he created?

Bob:  As well as being a tribute to the late, great Peter Cushing,  David and I needed to create a corporate counterpart for Tony Stark. Hammer was originally created to be a cautionary tale of what Tony Stark could have become if he stayed on his path as a global war profiteer.  As benevolent as Tony was portrayed in our series, Hammer represented the other side of that coin. They were two men essentially in the same line of work, but with diametrically opposed moral views.

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

You might have seen it, but it's discussed here by Bob Layton:

http://www.boblayton.com/interview-with-bob-by-dolmen-magazine/

Vicente: You also created Justin Hammer, a major villain in the series. Do you remember how was he created?

Bob:  As well as being a tribute to the late, great Peter Cushing,  David and I needed to create a corporate counterpart for Tony Stark. Hammer was originally created to be a cautionary tale of what Tony Stark could have become if he stayed on his path as a global war profiteer.  As benevolent as Tony was portrayed in our series, Hammer represented the other side of that coin. They were two men essentially in the same line of work, but with diametrically opposed moral views.

Thank you very much! I actually didn't see this so I greatly appreciate you posting it here.

19 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Thank you very much! I actually didn't see this so I greatly appreciate you posting it here.

You're welcome Cushing Fan :)

Image result for peter cushing gif Image result for peter cushing gif  Image result for peter cushing gif

35 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

Those giffs are from Space 1999: The Missing Link, the documentary One Way Ticket to Hollywood, and Corruption from top to bottom ;-)

Image result for peter cushing clapping gif

3 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

He was scarier in Star Wars as Grand Moff Tarkin.

He was scarier still in Rogue One, in his Uncanny Valley, CGI form.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Did you ever see this film? I had the poster on my wall as a teenager and can remember drawing three of the four faces. I used to be able to draw back then. I'll let you guess which three got done, and which didn't :cloud9:

You never seem to hear of it anymore. Oddly forgotten....

But I was there in 83. On me todd :sorry:

Image result for House of the Long Shadows

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

He was scarier still in Rogue One, in his Uncanny Valley, CGI form.

That whole film was scary Ken :grin:

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Did you ever see this film? I had the poster on my wall as a teenager and can remember drawing three of the four faces. I used to be able to draw back then. I'll let you guess which three got done, and which didn't :cloud9:

Image result for julie peasgood house of the long shadows

Now that's a dapper crew

Related image

Julie Peasgood...:cloud9:

56 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Ah yes, House of the Long Shadows. The only film which had all four surviving horror stars together. I enjoyed the film even though Desi Arnaz Jr was pretty wooden in his role. I actually have that same UK Quad poster framed at home.

7 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

Here is another Peter Cushing comic book connection - Cushing as a zombie hell bent on revenge in Tales from the Crypt.

IMG_20180125_154157.jpg

984cb63f97079c8b2cf6b58f1d5a2269.gif