• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the feeling about 9.6 these days?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

666 of each cover.

There are only 10 for sale right now and 3 are auctions. In contrast, Hulk 181 has been graded over 10,000 times.

Don't even bring up Hulk 181.  That gets me mad every time I think about it.  Another book that is abundant and sells for way over what it should (obviously, individuals decide how much they want to pay for something).  At least I can come up with justifications such as...

- first appearance of a landmark character

- bronze age book

- recognizable cover

But if we look at modern books (specifically 1:x, variant covers, limited runs, etc...) rarity feels "artificial" and manipulated.  Hence the comment about the "rare" Spawn #280.

Collecting modern 9.8 copies isn't difficult (excluding extreme outliers).  So there's no reason for modern 9.6 copies to be relevant.  Might as well settle for a NM raw copy and save yourself even more money.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Stupid

3 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Don't even bring up Hulk 181.  That gets me mad every time I think about it.  Another book that is abundant and sells for way over what it should (obviously, individuals decide how much they want to pay for something).  At least I can come up with justifications such as...

- first appearance of a landmark character

- copper age book

- recognizable cover

But if we look at modern books (specifically 1:x, variant covers, limited runs, etc...) rarity feels "artificial" and manipulated.  Hence the comment about the "rare" Spawn #280.

Collecting modern 9.8 copies isn't difficult (excluding extreme outliers).  So there's no reason for modern 9.6 copies to be relevant.  Might as well settle for a NM raw copy and save yourself even more money.

Hulk 181 is a Copper Age book? That's all I needed to read.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

This is a good point. Most moderns can be found pretty easily on eBay if you're patient. Heck, most times you don't even need to be patient. And yeah, I've got plenty of raw, NM+ comics that I like as much as my 9.8 slabbed books. Seems like the only reason to have a 9.8 is to make it easier on yourself when you're ready to sell. 

49 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

This is a good point. Most moderns can be found pretty easily on eBay if you're patient. Heck, most times you don't even need to be patient. And yeah, I've got plenty of raw, NM+ comics that I like as much as my 9.8 slabbed books. Seems like the only reason to have a 9.8 is to make it easier on yourself when you're ready to sell. 

That is one of the big reasons.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Collecting modern 9.8 copies isn't difficult (excluding extreme outliers). 

If you really believe this, I will offer a public challenge. It could be very lucrative for you.

2 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Does it involve Spawn newsstands?

I will pay multiple Benjamins for Spawn 156 and 212 in CGC 9.8. 

If it's that easy...

:taptaptap:

I don't care about newsstands.

Edited by newshane

Go ask people who track down modern 9.8s for a living how easy it is. One of the biggest misconceptions in the hobby is that modern 9.8s are always abundantly available.

Just now, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So I was half right. Must be another guy who was paying lots for 9.8 Spawn newsies.

No one on the planet is going to pay more for those two books than me. Guaranteed.

My point is that I have advertised my desire for those books for several years now, and I've had some big-time dealers looking to no avail whatsoever. The insane amount of cash I'm offering has made no difference.

Maybe someone out there can help me.

Edited by newshane

1 minute ago, newshane said:

My point is that I have advertised my desire for those books for several years now, and I've had some big-time dealers looking to no avail whatsoever. The insane amount of cash I'm offering has made no difference.

Maybe someone out there can help me.

You had me intrigued.........................

Crazy that no one has ever slabbed a 156 and only one 212 in any grade......a 9.8

22 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

You had me intrigued.........................

Crazy that no one has ever slabbed a 156 and only one 212 in any grade......a 9.8

I have the top registry set. 1-275 with all variants (all of them) slabbed in 9.8 or higher, with less than a handful of 9.6s that stand as fillers.

64 is another impossible book. I used to own both highest graded copies (9.6s) but sold one of them. It was a poly bagged issue with a black cover.

I need a 135 and a 182 in 9.8 as well.

Good luck and contact me, anyone, if you can help me out. I would like to finally complete my solid run from 1-275 in 9.8 or higher. Just a few pesky ones left. :pullhair:

After years of hunting, I can tell you that it's not nearly as easy as people think.

No, we're not talking Golden Age rarity here. But as one dealer told me, "if they they aren't out, they aren't out there."

And I'm sure they ARE out there. I have to believe it. But they probably belong to someone who has either forgotten them or has zero interest in selling them.

...and Spawn isn't an easy run by any means. Too many dark covers that bring out the most minute flaw. Crappy print runs (275 was legendarily awful) and cover stock (245) during certain eras. Plunging print runs due to lagging sales and the digital era.

And there are many, many other modern titles that are just as tough. It's a challenge.

That being said, yes, the limited run variant game was cheezy and it's gotten old. That's why I stopped at 275. I just couldn't stomach chasing down all of those silly variants anymore.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:05 AM, Reno McCoy said:

When I was heavy into collecting moderns about a decade ago, 9.8 copies were all the rage. Anything less than 9.8 for a modern (at least graded copies) weren't sought after in the slightest. Has a graded 9.6 book risen at all in esteem? I assume that for random issues, it's still 9.8 or bust. But what about keys or semi-keys or even cool covers? Are 9.6 copies more acceptable to the collecting community these days?

All the 9.6s have become 9.8s :wink:

39 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You're an outlier.  Probably one of only two people in this world looking for Spawn 156 and 212 in 9.8 conditionlol.

lol

True!