• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backer board for OA

23 posts in this topic

I did a search and found a grand total of four posts on the board that mentioned backer board, so apologies if this has already been discussed using a different terminology.

What do people recommend for backer boards for original art?  I am considering purchasing several such boards, though they will have to be custom cut since they are much larger than your typical comic or magazine BB, so I expect $$$.   I have the impression that some backer boards are more acid free than others.  Any advice on what I should be looking for, or even a seller that you recommend (I'm planning to buy from one of the usual suspects)?

I've sometimes received art that was backed by foam board.  I guess this doesn't have the acid issues of cardboard, but it doesn't seem as strong.  Any opinions on foam board vs cardboard backing board?

Last question: If I'm putting these into 4mil mylar sleeves, how much clearance will I need on the sides?  It looks like typically these are sold with 1/4" clearance for comics, but for large sleeves (which is what we're talking about) I'm seeing 1/2" clearance.  I guess there's still potential for the art slipping over the side of the board and rubbing against the sleeve.  Any advice on preventing this from happening?  I obviously don't want to use glue or tape.

Thanks for any advice or opinions you can share.  If this has been exhaustively discussed elsewhere, I'd appreciate a pointer.

34 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

I did a search and found a grand total of four posts on the board that mentioned backer board, so apologies if this has already been discussed using a different terminology.

What do people recommend for backer boards for original art?  I am considering purchasing several such boards, though they will have to be custom cut since they are much larger than your typical comic or magazine BB, so I expect $$$.   I have the impression that some backer boards are more acid free than others.  Any advice on what I should be looking for, or even a seller that you recommend (I'm planning to buy from one of the usual suspects)?

I've sometimes received art that was backed by foam board.  I guess this doesn't have the acid issues of cardboard, but it doesn't seem as strong.  Any opinions on foam board vs cardboard backing board?

Last question: If I'm putting these into 4mil mylar sleeves, how much clearance will I need on the sides?  It looks like typically these are sold with 1/4" clearance for comics, but for large sleeves (which is what we're talking about) I'm seeing 1/2" clearance.  I guess there's still potential for the art slipping over the side of the board and rubbing against the sleeve.  Any advice on preventing this from happening?  I obviously don't want to use glue or tape.

Thanks for any advice or opinions you can share.  If this has been exhaustively discussed elsewhere, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Most places that sell mylars or backers for artwork tend to sell them with each other or at least tell you which sizes work best with each other.

bagsunlimited.com does that. I get most of my art storage stuff from them. 

Archival foamcore is a good way to go for display. Otherwise, custom-cut half-backs or full-backs from E Gerber-

http://www.egerber.com/custom.asp

If you are putting in mylar, I would leave a 1/2" clearance on every side to allow for mylar "pucker".

And I've said it before... be careful when putting art into mylar or bye bye paste-ups!

Edited by BCarter27

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I know they wanted to make them to fit their 11x17 bags and made their boards an 1/8" narrow and 1/8" short, but most new artwork is the full 11x17, most people who sell boards also sell 11x17 boards and their mylars and bags are 11 1/4" x 17 1/4" to accommodate. 

If they were going for a popular standard size they shorted their board size. 

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Archival foamcore is a good way to go for display. Otherwise, custom-cut half-backs or full-backs from E Gerber-

http://www.egerber.com/custom.asp

If you are putting in mylar, I would leave a 1/2" clearance on every side to allow for mylar "pucker".

And I've said it before... be careful when putting art into mylar or bye bye paste-ups!

Thanks.  E Gerber tells me I need to size the boards myself, so appreciate the sizing advice.

45 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Early on I got a couple dozen backing boards/mylars for some of my OA. Most of the mylars ended up splitting along one side or the other.  Since then I've only used portfolios. 

You're not supposed to try and wear them like pants!!

22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Most places that sell mylars or backers for artwork tend to sell them with each other or at least tell you which sizes work best with each other.

bagsunlimited.com does that. I get most of my art storage stuff from them. 

Thanks for the tip.  I looked at relative sizes of BU's sleeves and boards.  It looks like they leave 5/8" clearance (total) on the side and 5/16" clearance at the top, e.g.

image.png.a677ba771949716cff73ff0ecf0ae098.png 

2 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

Thanks for the tip.  I looked at relative sizes of BU's sleeves and boards.  It looks like they leave 5/8" clearance (total) on the side and 5/16" clearance at the top, e.g.

image.png.a677ba771949716cff73ff0ecf0ae098.png 

What are the sizes of the artwork you are storing? 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

What are the sizes of the artwork you are storing? 

All over the map.  A bunch in the 11.5 - 12.5" width range, lengths 17 - 18.5".  A bunch of others with widths in the 14" range and commensurate lengths.  And a small number of larger pages, needing 18.5 x 24.5" sleeves.

This has been very helpful.  I think I'm good to go, thanks.