• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought and sold an Everett Sub-Mariner golden-age splash the same day...
1 1

49 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

"Time" is a relevant factor, but the funny thing this endless ramp to the heavens that mainstream superhero OA has taken is...doubling is almost always short-selling the full potential. In hindsight.

People, that have been at this a while, are fond of saying that they couldn't afford their collection today (meaning with today's disposable/savings at today's prices). That's a demonstration of how fast prices have risen in just a few years, and there's a lesson there similar to the infamous RE bubble* of the previous decade. And it does beg the question a fair number of us keep asking: where is and will the 'new' money come from? But me: I couldn't afford today the collection I had after just my first three years of hard collecting...twenty years ago. I could have just kept that...simple...and been my own Cabal of One ;) but funny thing, I much prefer my collection of today aesthetically :) 

*Where average price grew at a much steeper incline than average income (which was essentially flat).

Oh yes, of course. I meant flipping a piece for double the same day or in a short time frame from acquisition. "Pulling a Doubler" out of a piece as it were. 

23 hours ago, glenbru said:

I appreciate that.  It seemed to make sense to me at the time.  What I did not know then is that it is the only surviving known Everett Sub-Mariner splash from the 50's.

I could've worded that better.  I meant it doesn't make sense that I would be sad that YOU sold it.  You got what you wanted from it so that's great! 

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

Can you share what art you spent the left over $9,500 from the Everett on so we could see the whole trade?   

Thanks

I don't remember what else I got -- I remember that situation -- some of the early San Diego Cons run together in my mind's eye.  I may have come back with some money and bought stuff out of the CBG which I used to have flown in from the East Coast in order to get the deals listed at the same time as collector's on EST.

On 2018-01-30 at 11:39 AM, Bronty said:

I live the Kirby personally ... how many big expressive Kirby spider-mans are there?   It’s like an insight into what might have been.   But I do prefer the Everett 

I'm the opposite - Kirby could never draw Spider-Man properly imo.  Thank heavens he was never given the book...

I do agree and I much prefer ditko spider to Kirby.    However, to me, still real neat to have a piece with a Kirby spidey on it just because there must be so few