• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's METROPOLIS on DC Digital TV (2019)

19 posts in this topic

DC Announces Superman Prequel TV Series 'Metropolis'

metropolis-superman-dc-comics-streaming-

Krypton isn't the only Superman prequel coming to TV!

On Tuesday, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television announced that the companies are working on a new TV series called Metropolis, which is set to take place before Superman starts being a hero.

The new series will follow the lives of reporter Lois Lane and soon-to-be evil mastermind Lex Luthor as they navigate the day-to-day world of Metropolis. Much like Gotham has done for Batman, this series will examine the iconic DC city before there was a hero around to protect it.

Speaking of Gotham, the producers behind that series are the ones bringing Metropolis to life. EPs John Stephens and Danny Cannon have teamed up to write the story, and will both serve as executive producers on the new series. Stephens will write the screenplay for the actual pilot and Cannon is set to direct.

Metropolis has already been given a 13-episode order, and will debut on DC's exclusive streaming service. The company is aiming to debut the series in 2019. Production is set to begin later this year.

Interesting.  A harder nut to crack than Gotham.  Clark doesn't live in Metropolis before he begins his Superman career.  Most of his villains aren't from Earth, much less Metropolis.  We've already got Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl.  So we're left with Lois, Lex, maybe Perry White.  Seems pretty thin.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:22 AM, thedude said:

sounds like Smallville "part 2", but I'll give it a shot.

But Smallville had so much more.  Clark, to begin with.  And the meteor shower, creating powers good and bad. 

Just now, nearmint said:

But Smallville had so much more.  Clark, to begin with.  And the meteor shower, creating powers good and bad. 

Exactly!

I'm not sure yet how they are going to keep this interesting. But we shall see.

DC Comics' Metropolis TV Series Being Redeveloped

metropolis-tv-series-delayed-1106515-640

According to the DC Universe breakdown over at Deadline, Metropolis has been pulled from the slate, and will be "redeveloped" by the studio. That's a big reconsideration, as Metropolis had already been given a 13-episode order and was headed straight to series.

In case this is the first time you're hearing about the project, here's the original premise for what Metropolis was going to be:

"Set in the so-called City of Tomorrow before the arrival of Superman, Metropolis follows Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark and bizarre secrets."

No telling what the redeveloped idea will entail. Metropolis was set to have its pilot written and directed by Gotham alums John Stephens and Danny Cannon, which is why the premise sounded so similar to that alternative take on Batman's origin. Metropolis would've similarly used major supporting characters from a superhero's mythos to fill an entire show about life in the superhero's home city before the hero ever arrived. Its remained a controversial approach to DC material since Gotham first aired, and with show's ratings showing signs of cooling off, one has to wonder if it's still an approach that DC wants to go with.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

Definitely feels like they will have a challenging road ahead. But maybe they can deliver something fresh.

or, scrap it for something more interesting

16 minutes ago, kdoginohio said:

L.E.G.I.O.N. would be cool. even New Gods on the small screen. How about The Question on Amazon?

Please don't get me excited like that. lol

I think New Gods because of the movie being developed won't happen just yet. But if it is a success, I wonder if they would reconsider this?

On 5/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

Please don't get me excited like that. lol

I think New Gods because of the movie being developed won't happen just yet. But if it is a success, I wonder if they would reconsider this?

holding out for a show about Darkseid as a teenager called Apokolips.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:33 PM, nearmint said:

Well, Metropolis will have Lois, and Lex.  They'll build a world around those two, but will it be enough?

Yes, make Lex Luthor the star based on the John Byrne version and we have a major hit.

Image result for superman 2 1987

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

20 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I don't know.  Lex without Superman doesn't sound all that interesting.

I found the Lex Luthor in the Smallville TV show far more interesting than Superman.

It will work if they concentrate on corporation billionaire Lex and not mad scientist Lex.

Sometimes villains are just more interesting than the heroes.

An example who was really the star of Netflix Daredevil?

Most would say it was the Kingpin.

The modern Lex Luthor could be that anti-hero that modern audiences love.

I am thinking of a JR Ewing type character that audiences love to hate.