• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers!? How do you figure out what goes in the dollar box?
2 2

106 posts in this topic

Overstock or clearance comics you bought for btwn 5c to 50c each, or $1 comic you bought to read that had a fatal flaw inside that you did not initially see. Back issue that has an Overstreet vg or VF value of $8 or less that is unsellable (e.g. 80s DC, 70s Metal Men, assorted g Classics Illustrated, vg- Dells, Westerns, Disney, Archies, and overstocked Valiant/Image from 1992-93).

Anything that "guides" for $10-$15. or under that I have had forever. People love "old" comics for a buck. Trouble is, I hate to have to work to lose money...

When I bring any to a show, usually flea markets, I "salt" the boxes a little with a few "good ones".  When they sell, I add a few more from another box full of dollar books behind the table. I want to keep them coming back and new people looking. They usually buy a few others while they are at it. I usually have a $5. minimum just to make sure the stinkers move too.

Edited by Robot Man

If they don't sell for $2 - they go in the dollar bin!

Best bet really is to learn what covers to look for for better modern books - do a sort - pull everything you think is of value

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Anything that "guides" for $10-$15. or under that I have had forever. People love "old" comics for a buck. Trouble is, I hate to have to work to lose money...

When I bring any to a show, usually flea markets, I "salt" the boxes a little with a few "good ones".  When they sell, I add a few more from another box full of dollar books behind the table. I want to keep them coming back and new people looking. They usually buy a few others while they are at it. I usually have a $5. minimum just to make sure the stinkers move too.

Ed Robinson (boardie Robocard) has a 12 for $10 deal for his dollar boxes; he seems to move a lot of books this way. I'm sure he seeds his boxes as well... keeps buyers there longer if they think there's deals to be had.

Guide for $10-12 seems pretty high, not that i have looked at a guide in years. Nowadays i see that stuff in $2-4 boxes. The dregs and mistakes are in the $1 boxes. Sure, you get some better stuff, but a lot don't want to deaL with dollar books and when they do it is cheaper newish atuff. Maybe at a smaller show.

Edited by the blob

Books that are in demand more then the 2x$1 books but not in demand enough to go on the $2 boxes gets put in the $1.  Books that sit forever in the $5 boxes become $2 books thus slow moving $2 books eventually become $1 books.  

Edited by 1Cool

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Overstock or clearance comics you bought for btwn 5c to 50c each, or $1 comic you bought to read that had a fatal flaw inside that you did not initially see. Back issue that has an Overstreet vg or VF value of $8 or less that is unsellable (e.g. 80s DC, 70s Metal Men, assorted g Classics Illustrated, vg- Dells, Westerns, Disney, Archies, and overstocked Valiant/Image from 1992-93).

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

What Aardvark88 and Robot Man said above. That is usually how I do with my dollar bins at local shows. The most I allows is $10 max on issue value. I throw a couple of that in the bins, and toss in some $5-7 copies mixed in. Generally I stock post-1985 upward, but I also put some BA/CA books (all drek ones, low grade to mid grade). 

Archie digests had been popular and did good in selling cheaply. 

I actually don't have a dollar box, I have a $2 box and 50 cent boxes...the rest are priced individually although I may have runs or sets that average around $1/book, but they're packaged together to make sure no one can cherry-pick one book.  When you setup at shows, even if you only have 3-4 longs of $1 you get pretty tired of moving them around if the turnover is very small.  I know some guys that have absolute garbage in their $1 boxes....that's the stuff that I dump at $20-$50 a long (whatever the market would bear).

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎02 at 4:29 PM, aardvark88 said:

See it really depends on your area; the buyers, the shows, etc. etc.  Some of that stuff would move pretty well at $1 a piece where I am, some of it probably wouldn't move at 50 cents a piece.

There does seem to a slightly disturbing trend forming where previously common $5 books like Silver Age mid grades (especially DCs) are finding their way to the$1 bins.  90s books in $1 bins is a given, 80s books in non high grade are common in there but 60s books in $1 bins is just scary.  

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

There does seem to a slightly disturbing trend forming where previously common $5 books like Silver Age mid grades (especially DCs) are finding their way to the$1 bins.  90s books in $1 bins is a given, 80s books in non high grade are common in there but 60s books in $1 bins is just scary.  

Same with me, I am noticing quite a few dealers at cons where I go to ... they put some 60s books in their $1 bins.  Last year I found couple of Actions with 2nd app Parasite in VG minus, some good Disney’s from early 60s. I was surprised at that amount of stock . 

Wonder what this year will yield in the $1 bins in the shows I will go look around?

On 2/3/2018 at 4:43 PM, spreads said:

See it really depends on your area; the buyers, the shows, etc. etc.  Some of that stuff would move pretty well at $1 a piece where I am, some of it probably wouldn't move at 50 cents a piece.

Agreed.  Spreads and I are in the wastelands of Ottawa, where one of the local stores has 80's DC in mylites and fullbacks for $7 apiece.  Another dealer whose pricing strategy is likely the same since the pre-internet days won't sell anything less than $3-4 unless it's torn and soggy.  They all complain that "only keys sell anymore."

On 2/2/2018 at 8:58 PM, 1Cool said:

Books that are in demand more then the 2x$1 books but not in demand enough to go on the $2 boxes gets put in the $1.  Books that sit forever in the $5 boxes become $2 books thus slow moving $2 books eventually become $1 books.  

I asked the owner of my go-to LCS about the dollar bin and the method is pretty similar. Books that sit and don't sell go into the $3 bin, then if they still don't sell they go into the $1 bin.