Ebay: comicmylars???
4 4

54 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2021 at 6:37 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

He can do what he wants. He's not making anyone pay what they don't want to pay. hm

True that he's not forcing anyone, but he is exploiting their interest in his products. He's not a criminal, but he is unethical. If people are indifferent that their desire to buy something from him will be taken advantage of, then they should be prepared to get ripped off and soaked for as much as he can make from them. I hope you don't expect that they should then thank him for that experience?

I would be very interested to see a single person on this board applaud the experience of filling your shopping cart at the store with products advertised at one price and then find out the price for everything is double at the cash register. Deceptive advertising anyone?

Edited by ikt
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ikt said:

True that he's not forcing anyone, but he is exploiting their interest in his products. He's not a criminal, but he is unethical. If people are indifferent that their desire to buy something from him will be taken advantage of, then they should be prepared to get ripped off and soaked for as much as he can make from them. I hope you don't expect that they should then thank him for that experience?

I would be very interested to see a single person on this board applaud the experience of filling your shopping cart at the store with products advertised at one price and then find out the price for everything is double at the cash register. Deceptive advertising anyone?

O.o

He values things higher than you. That's it. If he come across someone that values it the same as him, then he sells it. People are responsible for what they buy, simple as that. No taking advantage, price is right there. Not deceptive, not criminal, not unethical.

 

As for your second point, whaaaaa? Are you saying he's double charging anyone who purchases from him? Haven't heard that. He's up front with his prices. You don't have to like them, but that's why you have the choice to move along. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong, or unethical.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of Mile High Comics prices...and number of other high priced dealers. You have a choice here, buy or not. Who is to judge whether GPA is right, double or triple....in the long run the prices have been catching up. I do not see the obligation for any dealer to price it at market price...as this rate we should be paying $600 in VF for action in the1970's. If you want to buy and risk having your purchase price non-recoverable so be it. Buy the book because you are true comic collector, not a widget buyer, and in the long run you should be ok.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

O.o

He values things higher than you. That's it. If he come across someone that values it the same as him, then he sells it. People are responsible for what they buy, simple as that. No taking advantage, price is right there. Not deceptive, not criminal, not unethical.

 

As for your second point, whaaaaa? Are you saying he's double charging anyone who purchases from him? Haven't heard that. He's up front with his prices. You don't have to like them, but that's why you have the choice to move along. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong, or unethical.

 

You're missing the point. The issue isn't that his pricing is high up-front, it's that he prices low until you try to purchase, then raises the prices on you. If you think that's an ethical way to do business, I'd like to recommend a car salesman to you. He'll raise the price 10k for every car you offer to buy, because he "values" them more than you.

Edited by ikt
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, ikt said:

You're missing the point. The issue isn't that his pricing is high up-front, it's that he prices low until you try to purchase, then raises the prices on you. If you think that's an ethical way to do business, I'd like to recommend a car salesman to you. He'll raise the price 10k for every car you offer to buy, because he "values" them more than you.

What do you mean “when you try and purchase”?

Are you trying to say that you put one of his books in your Cart and somehow he knew that you were going to purchase the book and jacked up the price while it was in your cart?

Or are you talking about when you sent him an offer?  To you sending an offer is tantamount to putting an item in your Cart for purchase?

I’m pretty sure it’s the later, as his rejecting your offer and jacking up the price seems to be what got you all worked up into the lather. 
 

So let’s cut through all the “dishonest”, “unethical”, “exploited”, “taken-adavange-of” hyperbole and get specific:  HOW exactly did you word your request for a discount?

Because I have a feeling that played a big part in how the seller responded to you...especially since there’s a member above who was just able to successfully negotiate a discount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

What do you mean “when you try and purchase”?

Are you trying to say that you put one of his books in your Cart and somehow he knew that you were going to purchase the book and jacked up the price while it was in your cart?

Or are you talking about when you sent him an offer?  To you sending an offer is tantamount to putting an item in your Cart for purchase?

I’m pretty sure it’s the later, as his rejecting your offer and jacking up the price seems to be what got you all worked up into the lather. 
 

So let’s cut through all the “dishonest”, “unethical”, “exploited”, “taken-adavange-of” hyperbole and get specific:  HOW exactly did you word your request for a discount?

Because I have a feeling that played a big part in how the seller responded to you...especially since there’s a member above who was just able to successfully negotiate a discount. 

I submitted an offer, he rejected it and immediately raised the price by more than 25%. I emailed him to ask why he changed the price and his response was rude and dismissive. I was polite and professional our entire communication and spend 10's of thousands of dollars on this hobby annually, but this was my first interaction with Comicmylars and will surely be my last. Another poster in this thread showed an example of a book that sold, but was immediately relisted BY THE SAME SELLER for a much higher price. It appears the seller canceled the sale and relisted for more to artificially drive the price up.

Lying about up-front pricing is a deceptive business practice and buyers have a right to know which sellers engage in it. I recommend collectors avoid doing business with sellers who attempt to manipulate their customers, even if those sellers do not do so every time. You simply can't trust them.

Edited by ikt
Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt that I got ripped off on a purchase a while back. I made an impulse buy and regretted it shortly after. I decided to start reading (specifically these boards) more and learning about the books I am looking to purchase.

I recently tried to buy a small collection. The seller had the value at a number that I didn't agree with and had no interest in lowering the asking price. I gave the seller a couple examples where his valuation differed from mine (giving examples of recent sales) and he didn't seem too swayed. I moved on.

If people are buying without understanding what they're purchasing, it's totally on them. If someone overpays for something, it's on them. If I sell you a five dollar bill for ten bucks and you understand what I'm selling is a five dollar bill, why am I the villain? This seller isn't holding anyone at gunpoint forcing them to purchase books. If you don't like the price and don't like the way negotiations are going, move on. Don't get frustrated at that one seller because I can almost guarantee that seller isn't wasting as much time and thought on you. Instead of using your time and energy getting frustrated on the boards, use it towards finding what you enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dover said:

It was expensive but it was also the only copy available and the single copy in the grade on the census. Not like I could go somewhere else and find it.

I'm curious what the book is, GBD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm curious what the book is, GBD. 

Peanuts #1 CGC 9.6 Gold Key.

It arrived at my house today and it is waiting for me. I might leave work early.

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, woowoo said:

He lives hour away from me. I wanted his Superman 1 in 1999 at Wonder-con Wanted 25 k I offered 20 he said no. I see he still has the book but the price is :makepoint: He had AA 16 for 25 k 10 years ago offered 18 he said no. I really liked him and he had 5 of everthing silverage key Hulk/FF/Jim/Tos/ so on so on. The guy loves comics and don't care if he sell's but all in all nice guy (thumbsu

I bought few books from him. He is polite and nice. The only negative of him is that he doesn't provide the back covers. I asked him few times to provide me the back covers but he never did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, dover said:

I should have the book in hand tomorrow via registered mail. 

Wait a minute, you mean you got a registered mail package in a timely manner??? Seriously? I've sent and received registered mail a number of times and every time it was a maddening slow walk that took forever. The last time it spent a week at the recipients local post office. I had to call them because they had it locked away and apparently forgot it was there. Even receiving registered mail from Sarasota to Miami it's been a headache!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2021 at 9:08 AM, ikt said:

Another poster in this thread showed an example of a book that sold, but was immediately relisted BY THE SAME SELLER for a much higher price.

Yeah I've seen this particular seller do that on occasion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4