• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags for CGC books.
2 2

43 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2018 at 10:18 AM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I get my bags from eBay seller CGC-Mylars. They look great and are re-sealable. Plus they send you extras.  Better looking than hot flips bags imo. 

We've had this discussion on the board before, but I should mention that their (eBay CGC-Mylars) products are:

1. NOT real Mylar. 

2. More than double the price of the same bags from other vendors! 

THE /EXACT/ SAME BAGS FOR LESS

I am annoyed that they are falsely advertising their product as true Mylar. Surprised they have gotten away with it for so long, but more power to them...buying the bags from the other site in bulk and charging double. Dishonest, but who am I to get in the way of their profit! 

Also, why Mylar? 

It's a billion times stronger and offers better long-term protection. And the clarity is nice. 

5 minutes ago, BOLORINO said:

You are right... I should have refered to them as clearbags bags instead of ebay bags.  I saw them on ebay and then I found the other website clearbags where they are a lot cheaper.

What about the HOTPLIPS bags? Does anyone here have a high resolution picture of the Hotflips in the new cgc slab?

Really, the polybags are all pretty much the same and they will all work just fine. Pictures aren't going to show you a whole lot. 

The high dollar Mylar solution for slabs is the 914M2 from E. Gerber. 

So, for me at least, it's either the clearbags or the Gerbers. Lots of people swear by Hotflips, however. I've never heard any complaints. 

Which of these mylar bag vendors have the best fitting bag on the current cgc slabs? I've found many of the suppliers sell bags that are to big and Ill fitting. One dealer passes off the old golden age slab bags as the solution for the latest standard slabs.  Different product numbers, but the same bag.¬¬

Reference point. Here is comparison between two old slab cases. Bat 348 is in a genuine Mylar and Bat 349 resealable Poly. I prefer Poly because typically I only have comic time very late at night and a long box full of Mylar slabs makes a ton of noise. I will pull some new slabs and compare. For all the new gen slabs, my poly bags are 9" X 14"

bats old slabs.JPG

Edited by BAT MAN

About that Bill Maher thread and his opinions on the dumbing down of youth with comic books...  this is what comic books taught me as a kid about attention to detail.  Inspecting, buying and caring only for the best, even if you have small pockets.  It is a life lesson you will keep regardless of interests.  That being said, I think I need to get some poly bags for my newly slabbed books, mylar just seems more brittle and less shock resistant.

On 11/20/2018 at 6:48 AM, newshane said:

We've had this discussion on the board before, but I should mention that their (eBay CGC-Mylars) products are:

1. NOT real Mylar. 

2. More than double the price of the same bags from other vendors! 

THE /EXACT/ SAME BAGS FOR LESS

Thanks for the heads up. They might not be mylars but they look great. I use them for all my slabs. They hold up well too. Real mylars tend to tear or split quite easily. 

4 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Thanks for the heads up. They might not be mylars but they look great. I use them for all my slabs. They hold up well too. Real mylars tend to tear or split quite easily. 

I agree that it's a great product, and I currently have them protecting a majority of my books. 

But people should be aware that they are not real Mylars. 

BAT MAN thanks for the pictures... 

BMALONE..  I've haven't seem a UV bag... I've seen people use UV acrylic, UV glass, or UV film.. I keep my comics in my "projector" room and installed UV film on my windows and keep my curtains closed 99% of the time.  Some of my more expensive comics are kept inside a flat cabinet

DJones...I'm still trying to find a bag I like...  I bought some HotFlips, but have not received them yet...   I'm not sure if there is a "best bag".. people have their own preferences, some like "big" bags, some like "tight" bags, some like thick plastic, some like not so thick, some like flaps, some don't...  Maybe we should just post a high resolution picture of a graded book in each different bag so people can compare how each type of bag will fit...

I've bought several comics from different vendors and I have several types of bags... ...I can tell that some are mylar, which I personally like the clear look, but hate the thickness... The cgc bags are just worthless... and the other resealable bags look ok, but I don't know what they are... I can't see the manufacturer info on them, but I did notice some are really tight, and some are a little too big...  so if you have different types of bags, please post some pics with the manufacturer info

I just got some BCW CGC re-sealable poly bags in the mail this week from a seller on Amazon. I paid under $25 CDN for 100. Unfortunately the seller was in Australia and there was a Canada Post strike which recently ended, so it took forever to get here! 

My CGC books look great in them. They are nice and clear. I have a 100 page graded book and they are big enough to accommodate such a large comic.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, shadroch said:

What is the point of a Mylar bag as opposed to the other bags available at a fraction of the cost?

A few friends asked me the same question... I did a quick video comparison in 4K.  I'm no professional youtuber, but I hope you find it helpful.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I get my bags from eBay seller CGC-Mylars. They look great and are re-sealable. Plus they send you extras.  Better looking than hot flips bags imo. 

I did go ahead and buy some bags and I like the hotflips, but the clearbags are my favorite.  Each person will have different opnions/requirements

Edited by BOLORINO

Icefires here sold me a bunch of slabs in bags that are resealable with little Velcro snaps. I think they are Mylar. I have no idea if they are designed for slabs, but they fit perfectly and look like they may provide some protection vs. Chips and cracks. While I probably wouldn't want to buy them, I was pleased they came with them. If I get back into slabs in a big way I may need to invest in 50 or 100 of them. 

On 2/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, shadroch said:

What is the point of a Mylar bag as opposed to the other bags available at a fraction of the cost?

They look nice on slabs. Poly gets dingy. Certainly on raw books when I see a dealers books in mylars, subconsciously they just look better. I know I have pulled the trigger on books in a nice Mylar I might have passed on in a dirty poly at the same price.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

They look nice on slabs. Poly gets dingy. Certainly on raw books when I see a dealers books in mylars, subconsciously they just look better. I know I have pulled the trigger on books in a nice Mylar I might have passed on in a dirty poly at the same price.

You've passed on a slabbed book because the exterior, unconnected, outer bag didn't meet your approval? Or bought a book only because it's shiny outer bag made it more attractive? 

I have bought hundreds of raw books only because they were in Mylar, but never passed on a book because it wasn't. I can't imagine a books temporary outer bag influencing my decision.

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You've passed on a slabbed book because the exterior, unconnected, outer bag didn't meet your approval? Or bought a book only because it's shiny outer bag made it more attractive? 

I have bought hundreds of raw books only because they were in Mylar, but never passed on a book because it wasn't. I can't imagine a books temporary outer bag influencing my decision.

Agreed. The condition of the slab (if old) has also had no effect on my decision unless it's not discounted by $15-20 for future re-slabbing. The condition of the book is all that matters to me.