• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I have been to scared and intimidated to take part in your wonderful contest held every year, because I am not a seasoned comics collector, even though you encouraged me to take part. I enjoy it as it unfolds and who got what and your pictorial commentary as the guesses roll in are priceless. I am a closet DR.X contest junkie. I finally decided to come out of the closet and acknowledge your kind and selfless work. But, you are old guard and have more posts than me and you are more popular than me and and peopel threw parties and parades when I received a strike, and....well, I am going to call mom about this.

I do collect change and put it in empty Metamucil containers, and have done so for the last 20 years. They are labeled 1c, 5c, 10c, .25c. There are a hell of a lot of those containers in the basement (observation: for some reason, there are more 5c than 1c. I wouldn't have thought that). I just might donate to your cause. (Can I deduct it? Are you a 503 charity organization?).

Everyone is invited to take place in that contest. I could care less how many post counts someone has.  For me, its just a way to let people let go and have some fun, and give and take some ball busting. I don't care who plays. Ned won a few years ago and it was his first post so it don't matter to me who wins what. 

I think it is more of a boot camp experience and not running to the DI when somebody shorts your sheets (an equivalent of pushing the button is what I mean) and is what I interpreted about the commentary. Sometimes things don't need to be fixed because of sensitivity of a few. It is a learning experience. It is not so bad.

I don't really think it is a put down or intended to belittle.

3 minutes ago, DR.X said:

Everyone is invited to take place in that contest. I could care less how many post counts someone has.  For me, its just a way to let people let go and have some fun, and give and take some ball busting. I don't care who plays. Ned won a few years ago and it was his first post so it don't matter to me who wins what. 

Of course you know I was using satire with the post count thing, and I am sure you know that the point I was making is that you go out of your way to not exclude anybody, including me, and if anybody should be excluded, it is me.

Just now, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I think it is more of a boot camp experience and not running to the DI when somebody shorts your sheets (an equivalent of pushing the button is what I mean) and is what I interpreted about the commentary. Sometimes things don't need to be fixed because of sensitivity of a few. It is a learning experience. It is not so bad.

I don't really think it is a put down or intended to belittle.

That's all good, I've never humped the button, and don't plan on it. 

11 hours ago, DR.X said:

Could you imagine  if Nik was still around, and even Dice X, Watson, and FT. They would take half these people apart at the seams, and back then the mods would let lots of stuff run till it just exploded. Back then we all took our lumps when we joined. All of us.  Nowaday's, you just hump the mod button like a woodpecker on a tree if you don't like something.

Life gets in the way lots of times too. I have not been around much the last few years as personal stuff had derailed my life, but I'm still holding on the boards here and there. I might not have posted here about stuff, but always knew I had friends on here to talk with under the radar. I talked to many people on here over the years on the phone, many times. Nothing like chatting with a fellow boardie even just about life in general and personal stuff.

I miss a lot of those old guys, hell I don't know if Foolkiller  has even been around. I always enjoyed his threads and talking with him at wizard. We even had a long discussion about grading over the phone. Had many discussions with FT, Sean, Dice X, and many more. Sometimes I think you have to go around these boards and open up other types of communication with people too. Alright I'm babbling here. Let me go see whats in the ice box.

Sometimes it is good to let things get to a point where the dirty laundry is aired out. I still keep private conversations going with those I care about, or who care about me. Was always a firm believer in water finding its own level.

p.s. Exactly how old are you? 

Alright I'm babbling here. Let me go see whats in the ice box.

16 hours ago, COI said:

From my perspective, what most of the newb complaining stems from is people deciding that they're not getting the exact type of interactions they want, and instead of trying to figure out how to best orient themselves to get the most out of what this long-standing community has to offer, they launch into tirades castigating long-time members for doing it wrong and making them feel sad. And the moderation policy exacerbates this by assuming that any discontent can be fixed by tweaks, restrictions and time-outs.

The idea of an "old guard" trying to keep newbs out is fallacious nonsense. I've been here from year one and I've taken my share of criticisms and outright insults from fellow "old guard" members, and most of that was probably deserved. I can't believe I have to spell this out on a board full of middle-aged men, but that's how social interactions work. Some people will like you, some won't; people have wildly different micro and macro viewpoints of life; people naturally form into hierarchies and cliques; is this new to some of you? 

If you don't like an environment or social dynamic, leave, or do a little digging and see if you can find some things to like. Don't treat this place like it's your own personal play date, with mommy in the next room ready to pounce if things get scary for you. The irony of trying to dictate how things "should be" by constructing this old guard persecution narrative and having to resort to using ignore functions and 'notify moderator' buttons when Billy takes your ice-cream cone, isn't lost on people, and it's the reason why people get mocked for trying to "set things straight". And in the process, turning to moderation instead of putting on your big-boy pants has led to this ridiculous micro-management of social interactions to appease a vocal minority of malcontents, which isn't fun for anyone except the tattlers getting some brief catharsis when RMA gets suspended for the 40th time for speaking his mind.

This post and the likes it has sums up some of the challenges for new members. I read it as "I was insulted and harassed but I survived so you should too when I or others do the same to you".  

No old guard trying to keep newbs out but "there are hierarchies and cliques". 

Middle-aged men....I sure wish we could get teens , young adults and women in....not gonna happen though

big-boy pants, mommy in the next room, Billy takes your ice cream cone....won't even go int what's wrong with these statements

18 minutes ago, The_Endless said:

This post and the likes it has sums up some of the challenges for new members. I read it as "I was insulted and harassed but I survived so you should too when I or others do the same to you".  

No old guard trying to keep newbs out but "there are hierarchies and cliques". 

Middle-aged men....I sure wish we could get teens , young adults and women in....not gonna happen though

big-boy pants, mommy in the next room, Billy takes your ice cream cone....won't even go int what's wrong with these statements

Actually, "getting along" is a great adult life skill.

Here's my 2c. I think just about every one who joins is at one point or another suspected of being a shill. And sometimes its true. When I first joined no one every replied to anything I commented about. Kind of like it is now. lol Did I feel left out, of course. Did I go in the corner and cry, of course I did. Bwaaaaaaaaah.

But seriously, I started sending some boardies who I could tell were very well respected some P.M.'s. One of the first I contacted was Nik. I had some scannner questions and he replied, and was very helpful. It broke the ice. I also contacted FT, Ressurection, and just asked some silly newb questions. But it broke the ice. There were others  and Greggy was not one of them. I think I even contacted Baltimore Lauren and Sharon.

Things started to ease up and before you know it I started to get people replying and talking to me and giving me sheet like it should be. Do I inter act and like everyone here. No. Does everyone like me. Hell no. But you don't have to be like Sad Sack and loved by millions. There's plenty of great people on here to interact with and meet at cons and talk and do business with. I've met a ton over the years. So pick and choose your battles here and who you want to chum up with. There's plenty of dorks to fit what ever your looking for. Now I have to run to the gym and pass out more candy to my freaks. You don't need flowers for a woman, just a bag of chocolate malted milk balls. Yesterday was a big day there as I gave out four gift bags to some female fans. LOL.

trish and lisa.jpg

Edited by DR.X

5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

Here's my 2c. I think just about every one who joins is at one point or another suspected of being a shill. And sometimes its true. When I first joined no one every replied to anything I commented about. Kind of like it is now. lol Did I feel left out, of course. Did I go in the corner and cry, of course I did. Bwaaaaaaaaah.

But seriously, I started sending some boardies who I could tell were very well respected some P.M.'s. One of the first I contacted was Nik. I had some scannner questions and he replied, and was very helpful. It broke the ice. I also contacted FT, Ressurection, and just asked some silly newb questions. But it broke the ice. There were others  and Greggy was not one of them. I think I even contacted Baltimore Lauren and Sharon.

Things started to ease up and before you know it I started to get people replying and talking to me and giving me sheet like it should be. Do I inter act and like everyone here. No. Does everyone like me. Hell no. But you don't have to be like Sad Sack and loved by millions. There's plenty of great people on here to interact with and meet at cons and talk and do business with. I've met a ton over the years. So pick and choose your battles here and who you want to chum up with. There's plenty of dorks to fit what ever your looking for. Now I have to run to the gym and pass out more candy to my freaks. You don't need flowers for a woman, just a bag of chocolate malted milk balls. Yesterday was a big day there as I gave out four gift bags to some female fans. LOL.

Haha

5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

Thanks Dr. X, this was a very insightful post, and you bring up a lot of good points about breaking the ice and choosing your battles. "There is no fate but what we make"

16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Agreed but we are looking into why this place is not thriving. To thrive we need new members. I firmly believe that how new members are treated is an essential component. After all, who returns to a restaurant where the host was rude and the waiter didn't answer your questions until you asked 3 times?

12 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

???  ???  ??? 

He is old so he uses ice box instead of frig but he also is so old he doesn't know packing fudge is slang for something else.  Get it??

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
17 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

???  ???  ??? 

He is old so he uses ice box instead of frig but he also is so old he doesn't know packing fudge is slang for something else.  Get it??

I get the "joke" but how is it relevant to the discussion? 

44 minutes ago, The_Endless said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Agreed but we are looking into why this place is not thriving. To thrive we need new members. I firmly believe that how new members are treated is an essential component. After all, who returns to a restaurant where the host was rude and the waiter didn't answer your questions until you asked 3 times?

And I would counter with, there are a lot of potential new members you don't want here.

26 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I get the "joke" but how is it relevant to the discussion? 

Funny doesn't always fit into the discussion but it transcends the discussion.