• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

78 years ago, in case anyone is interested

6 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, mwotka said:

Great link, thanks for sharing!  archive.org is a wonderful site I've been listening to great live music on for years (notably live Grateful Dead shows), didn't realize they did old radio shows too!  

Yeah there is all kinds of stuff on the site.  They even have scanned issues of comics that are in the public domain.

13 hours ago, Murphman13 said:

Thank you for posting that link. My mom remembers listening to the Green Hornet in the 1940's. I'm going to show tell her about this link and see if she can pull it up on her 10 year old super slow desktop that she rarely uses.

They have the Green Hornet radio show (not sure how many but I saw some), they also have the video serial from the 40s, as well as Green Hornet comics.  If you can't find what you're looking for, just do a search for OTR downloads and there are a slew of good sites to find shows.  If she or you like Green Hornet, try Blue Beetle, the Avenger, the Shadow, etc.

Did you know the Green Hornet is related to the Lone Ranger.  Fro Wiki....

One relatively minor aspect of the character that tends to be given limited exposure in the actual productions is his blood relationship to the Lone Ranger, another character created by Striker. The Lone Ranger's nephew was Dan Reid. In the Green Hornet radio shows, the Hornet's father was likewise named Dan Reid, making Britt Reid the Lone Ranger's grandnephew.

In the November 11, 1947, radio show episode "Too Hot to Handle", Britt tells his father that he, Britt, is the Green Hornet. After Dan's initial shock and anger, Dan refers to a vigilante "pioneer ancestor" of theirs that Dan himself had ridden alongside in Texas. As he expressed pride in and love for his son, the Lone Ranger theme briefly played in the background.

The Lone Ranger property was sold to another company in the 1950s, which resulted in a legal complication that precluded The Lone Ranger being directly associated with the Green Hornet. This complication was later resolved in a comic book cross-over published by Dynamite Entertainment.

And one thing that has always bothered me is why the Green Hornet's car is called Black Beauty and not Green Beauty.  Isn't that like calling the Batmobile, the Sparrowmobile? hm