Buying guidance NEEDED / 6K to invest...
3 3

58 posts in this topic

474 posts
5 hours ago, divad said:

Or is a collector . . . .meh

True enough, but all those others factors such as storage space, maintenance and inevitable erosion come into play. E - reading is where it's at.

33,201 posts

Posted this last night (in the wrong thread)....

I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

3,012 posts

Or just get the best FF #1 you can find for the $6K. There's still always a chance of finding Hulk 181 and ASM 129 at a flea market or raw underpriced at a LCS

474 posts
9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Nah.  Your digital comics have nothing on the real thing.  The look, feel, smell of an old comic can't be replicated through your blue light emitting landfill device.   The colors, the history of that well traveled book, are all lost on your e-reading.    (I also still prefer owning vinyl/cd's over memory sticks of music).    Just one man's opinion. 

Yes, I appreciate the look and feel as much as the next person. I was, however, talking about attrition. It is inevitable.

370 posts

cleanest high grade 181 you can get (would 5300 afford a premium 9.4?  book seems to be going up, up and away right this minute).  white pages, perfect wrap, rich colors.  dont let the others sway your opinion.  if a cherry 181 is the book youve always wanted make it happen!

i wouldnt go 9.0 of each 181/129.  they are great books but just too common.  9.2+ for either of them is the way to go.  youd always be able to get a copy and i feel buying a 9.0 is just getting a copy.  good luck

19,723 posts

Wait until the DJI goes under 18k and invest that $6k in a Roth ira? 

264 posts
9 hours ago, rainmaker said:

cleanest high grade 181 you can get (would 5300 afford a premium 9.4?  book seems to be going up, up and away right this minute).  white pages, perfect wrap, rich colors.  dont let the others sway your opinion.  if a cherry 181 is the book youve always wanted make it happen!

i wouldnt go 9.0 of each 181/129.  they are great books but just too common.  9.2+ for either of them is the way to go.  youd always be able to get a copy and i feel buying a 9.0 is just getting a copy.  good luck

So....SOOOOOO happy I bought a Hulk 9.2 white pages a few years ago.  It was a childhood dream.  I always had the money just never took the plunge when I had this itch only a CGC case could scratch!

I paid fair price for it but had no idea at the time what a bargain it's now turned out to be. 

I agree with you.  If you buy one it best to purchase a 9.2 or better.     

137 posts

Don't know the seller or have any affiliation with him at all, but, this is in the sales forum...

FS (or Trade) - Amazing Spider-Man #129 * CGC 9.4 * White Pages

474 posts
10 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

Don't know the seller or have any affiliation with him at all, but, this is in the sales forum...

FS (or Trade) - Amazing Spider-Man #129 * CGC 9.4 * White Pages

Too low. Again, 9.8 for the return.

19,723 posts
On 2/18/2018 at 2:03 PM, chrisco37 said:

Posted this last night (in the wrong thread)....

I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

I think hulk 181 was $450-500 by 1994, asm 129 $300-350? They might have been there in 1993.  I briefly owned a pristine 181 in early 1994, so that's why the number rings a bell. Maybe i'm wrong.

1,928 posts
8 hours ago, the blob said:

I think hulk 181 was $450-500 by 1994, asm 129 $300-350? They might have been there in 1993.  I briefly owned a pristine 181 in early 1994, so that's why the number rings a bell. Maybe i'm wrong.

Here's a chart I made last year sampled from the various price guides I have around the house. From what I remember, ASM 129 was, at one point, just slightly higher than IH 181 in NM, but clearly the separation started in the early-to-mid-90's. Your memory of the prices seems to be pretty close to what I recorded here....

5a8ebe8ef3737_IH181vsASM129.thumb.jpg.0864d831695a51601d0997e912133fc2.jpg

264 posts
8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Here's a chart I made last year sampled from the various price guides I have around the house. From what I remember, ASM 129 was, at one point, just slightly higher than IH 181 in NM, but clearly the separation started in the early-to-mid-90's. Your memory of the prices seems to be pretty close to what I recorded here....

Wow that sums it up then.  Hulk 181 RULES!

28,166 posts
10 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

Wow that sums it up then.  Hulk 181 RULES!

Exactly, yet there will be some people who will come on here and argue that Hulk 181 is a bad future bet for investment.

:facepalm:

761 posts
On 2/22/2018 at 7:00 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

Looks like Hugh Jackman really made that book rise!

7,736 posts
On 2/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, Knightsofold said:

If in the long term comics are not popular to collect, the extreme buyer's market would make it tough to sell a #180 for a decent price.

I'd put the 6k  into Silver or Golden Age keys instead.

You'll need more than 6k to buy a golden age key  haha  

3,012 posts
10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

You'll need more than 6k to buy a golden age key  haha  

Not really. Menace #5 with the 1st Simon Garth Zombie turn up in decent shape for under $1k

917 posts
On 2/22/2018 at 5:00 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

this is awesome, and says alot about the choice. do bear in mind though that the punisher only just now got his tv show. hugh jackman's made wolverine a household name for almost 2 decades. so frank castle may have to play catch up for awhile, but he is likely to close the gap at least somewhat. i do still think wolverine is a better character, and thought so 40 years ago when i was a kid first reading these books. he's dark but lovable, whereas punisher is mostly just a mean badass.