• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #797 Mike Mayhew Variant
1 1

91 posts in this topic

Just now, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Probably 3,000 total, split between 3 stores: 1,000 SL, 1,000 Frankies, 1,000 7ate9

That's what I am thinking. They each do 600 pre sales, offer 200 CGC 9.8, and the rest for damaged or books that fail the 9.8 pre screen.

3 hours ago, GaSouthernGrad said:

Basically he created an artificial scarcity and is trying to explain it.

You need to educate yourself on store variants. There is plenty of information on these boards shared by shop owners. This is nothing new.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

So saying 600 print run is indeed false advertising. My next question is it 600 to sad lemon, 600 to frankies, etc???

Please show me where anybody said "600 print run". Most of these retailers are smart enough to understand the difference between print run and distribution in general, so they would stay away from that term.

1 hour ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Probably 3,000 total, split between 3 stores: 1,000 SL, 1,000 Frankies, 1,000 7ate9

You're spreading false information after the truth was made public right above your post.

Edited by ygogolak

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You need to educate yourself on store variants. There is plenty of information on these boards shared by shop owners. This is nothing new.

Please show me where anybody said "600 print run". Most of these retailers are smart enough to understand the difference between print run and distribution in general, so they would stay away from that term.

You're spreading false information after the truth was made public right above your post.

Okay. Check the link, sold listings, multiple people sold listings under the "600 print run" and I would guess they got that impression somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spider-man 797&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

5 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Okay. Check the link, sold listings, multiple people sold listings under the "600 print run" and I would guess they got that impression somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spider-man 797&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

People on eBay are promoting false information? :whatthe:

You've seen the shenanigans that go on through eBay in the Comics General section.

Just now, ygogolak said:

People on eBay are promoting false information? :whatthe:

You've seen the shenanigans that go on through eBay in the Comics General section.

I understand that, but where would they get the idea? I have been involved in enough of these to know they take whatever info they get off the retailers site and pimp the bejeezus out of it.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

it says 600 printed on the gocollect page that was linked on the first page of this thread. Obviously the retailers advertised this variant using questionable language, otherwise they wouldn't be addressing it. Of course issuing a release through a private facebook group doesn't do a whole lot for the public. 

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I understand that, but where would they get the idea? I have been involved in enough of these to know they take whatever info they get off the retailers site and pimp the bejeezus out of it.

They get that idea because idiots who can't be bothered to think critically make assumptions they ought not be making, or, in some cases, just make things up out of whole cloth. The error gets repeated over and over and over and over again, by other idiots who also can't be bothered to think critically, or even be a LITTLE bit of a skeptic, and we end up with bad information circulating throughout the hobby for years, and sometimes even decades (like "30 and 35 cent variants were "discovered" by Jon McClure" in 1997-1998, when they had been appearing in the OPG for nearly 20 years at that point, starting with Star Wars #1. The only thing McClure "discovered" was the extent. That's like saying Columbus "discovered" the Americas...sure, if you ignore the people who'd been living there for a couple thousand years, and Leif Ericson and his Viking settlers...then yes, Columbus "discovered" the Americas. And yet, irresponsible bloggers like Benjamin Nobel present themselves as "knowledgeable experts", when all they really are are people with uninformed opinions propagating misinformation that harms people in the long run. But if you challenge them, they will attempt to silence you by accusing you of being a "cyber bully", and, sadly, they succeed.)

And if anyone thinks the "tone" of this post is angry, you're damn right it is. Too many people make up too much nonsense, and invariably get INCREDIBLY offended that anyone would DARE question them, when it is THEY who should be asking the questions in the first place. And people make financial decisions based on erroneous information, and they get hurt. No two ways about it. 

Ask questions.

Verify.

Be persistent.

Be curious. 

Accept no one's "word" for anything (including mine.) Everyone can be wrong, and frequently are. Get independent verification. And, where you can't get independent verification, come up with reasonable theories, but NEVER, EVER wed yourself to those theories, and ALWAYS be ready and willing to discard those theories...no matter how much your ego might protest...if new information comes to light which invalidates them.

Don't become a victim of people who parrot bad information. 

And above all, keep an open mind. Genuine scholars aren't afraid to be proven wrong. Genuine scholars welcome being proven wrong, because it means everyone else gets to be more correct. And that should be everyone's goal.

Some may say they are "insufficiently_thoughtful_persons", I prefer uniformed consumers. Most people on these boards are trying to educate themselves. That is not how casual collectors are. And those are the people that will ultimately be turned off to these types of promotions.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Most of the people I see getting mad claim to be "collectors". There are plenty of comics for everyone to collect and not pay inflated prices.

37 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Some may say they are "insufficiently_thoughtful_persons", I prefer uniformed consumers. Most people on these boards are trying to educate themselves. That is not how casual collectors are. And those are the people that will ultimately be turned off to these types of promotions.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Most of the people I see getting mad claim to be "collectors". There are plenty of comics for everyone to collect and not pay inflated prices.

I agree here the sudden inflation is crazy there is more than enough interesting comics out there.

I guess no one wants a common book, it has to be "rare." I liked this cover but then I love 238 so I bought a couple. I was also in communication with the artist to buy the OA but the first offer raised his price to mine and I missed out. No biggie.

Iron man 219 was a $3 book one day that no one cared about but now people want $40 for a raw copy.  Just because that villain is going to be in a movie. It's not popular because people liked the character or it would have been in demand already. Weird.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There is a chasm of difference...which I know you know...between a desire to learn and educate oneself, and presenting misinformation as fact.

"This had a print run of 600 copies." <----comment, stated as fact, made by an ignorant idiot who wants to impress people with his/her "knowledge", on whatever level.

"I heard this had a print run of 600 copies. Is that true...?" <---comment made by someone who wants to educate themselves. And I staunchly disagree with your contention that most people on these boards are trying to educate themselves. I think most people...the most active people...either A. are looking to make $$$$ in comics, or B. are the "old guard" who talk about what we've talked about for over a decade.

As you know...print run information is very hard to come by, and as was proven true (for the 10,000,000th time), the store owner had to come out and clarify what he actually meant. He bears some responsibility in this. 

And personally, I don't like uniformed customers. What do they think this is, a parade....?

1. Glad to see you posting again

2. For a limited book, there certainly are an awful lot of them on eBay right now.

3. That cover is seriously effing ugly. I mean just terrible.

4. I'd like to buy the 1:100 Artgerm Thor 705 virgin variant. I have no idea how many have been printed, I think it is beautiful.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Although, to be fair, the guy's name is Simon Payne. If that doesn't scream Bond villain, I don't know what does...

Like I said in another thread,  that group of "retailers" are completely corrupt. They have manipulated countless ebay sales and misrepresent print runs consistently.