• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YEAH, YEAH,...LETS SEE EM BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

104 posts in this topic

Yeah,..moot point.

I was juss razzin the Silver Surfer for kicks.

The piece(s) ARE killer !

I agree. They're mind-boggling!

I am curious whether whoever buys them will have them restored. They'd look a lot better if the degraded adhesive and associated staining were removed and replaced with an archival adhesive. The piece is going to have to be restored someday anyway. May as well do it before it gets any worse, eh? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah,..they'll be restored. I agree,..youd have to be crazy not to. Wouldnt even be surprised if Heritage does the resto work before putting the piece up for auction. My understanding is they have a guy they work with who does all there 'In-House' OA restoration work.

Hypothetical:

You walk into an antique store and you see both these items. They are priced at $500 each. You only have $500 in your wallet. Which one do you pick ?

And the guy says,.."No" he wont hold the other one for ya...CASH ONLY !!!

Neither one.

Why is there liquid paper on the pages?

White-Out has always been commonly used by artists...whether for artistic effect . . .or to 'erase' a mistake. White-out IS generally frowned upon but not dispositive of a 'problem'. A problem however does exist when there is much white-out AND to top it off...there is ACTUAL ART drawn on the white-out. This can be a serious problem as the white-out cracks...and then..BYE-BYE art.

From the scan this isnt a problem.

I remember seeing the ASM 85 Cover and passing on it at Sotehbys in 98' because there was so much art on top of white-out.

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManD/Large/Amazing085.JPG

All in all...not a good thing if it compromises the art.

White-Out has always been commonly used by artists...whether for artistic effect . . .or to 'erase' a mistake.

Did White-Out exist in the 1940s? I always heard that the mother of Michael Nesmith (of the Monkees) invented it. Did she invent it long ago enough that GA artists would have been able to use it? Or is it being her invention just urban myth?

I don't know for certain what they were using in the 40s (I would guess it's something similar to, but more toxic than, the stuff in use now), but artists now DO NOT USE "White Out" for corrections. They use white, opaque inks (commonly called "white opaque.") This is a brand I've used:

Daler-Rowney Pro Black and Pro White

839948-21106-OA3ww.jpg

839948-21106-OA3ww.jpg.0c4632eed2f15ed6803a9b6b90587daf.jpg

Did White-Out exist in the 1940s? I always heard that the mother of Michael Nesmith (of the Monkees) invented it. Did she invent it long ago enough that GA artists would have been able to use it? Or is it being her invention just urban myth?

She really invented it. Read all about it here:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/nesmith.htm

White-Out has always been commonly used by artists...whether for artistic effect . . .or to 'erase' a mistake.

Its white guache, not "white out". White out was a liquid paper invented to be applied easily and dry ASAP so typists could correct their mistakes and immmediately get back to work... I guess chemically they are similar except for the speed of drying, but artists who use india ink alwayss have the "antidote " for mistakes, splotches and effects handy.

Looks like in the Action cover there might have been a few lines indicating a curb that the editor felt was unnecessary. The white curves around to the left..

yeah, well, if I had finished the whole thread I woulda known my answer was a little too little and too late.... something like that...

It`s okay, you were the first to really answer what artists used back in the 1940s. thumbsup2.gif

yeah, well, if I had finished the whole thread I woulda known my answer was a little too little and too late.... something like that...

It`s okay, you were the first to really answer what artists used back in the 1940s. thumbsup2.gif

Indeed! thumbsup2.gif

Im assuming 'Litch' is your daughter ?

If you wanna do the deal...pm me....I might be able to make it happen 4 ya !

Paul Litch is a senior grader at CGC. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

Im assuming 'Litch' is your daughter ?

If you wanna do the deal...pm me....I might be able to make it happen 4 ya !

Paul Litch is a senior grader at CGC. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif