• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage wars/Rene comic hoard find
3 3

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Trying to piece this together; perhaps someone with better reading/hearing comprehension knows the answer.

I saw the video of the hoarder's house with comics in the drawer. Is that the same collection shown in the other video laid out on tables in stacks by genre or is that a separate find?

He mentions storage locker but not sure if the two are connected or just happened around the same time.

The answer to the first question is yes.

I'm not sure about the storage locker part but I recall him saying that it belonged to a former store owner so it may be separate.

On 2/26/2018 at 6:54 AM, Jimbo749 said:
On 2/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, thehumantorch said:

Darrel from Storage Wars also found a valuable collection in a storage locker.

Watched that episode recently. He found what looked to be either a large PC or a retail store inventory, full of comics and action figures, I think It was "valued" arou

Darrel actually found a real score back in the 1990s - I do not count any of the SW shows as real. 

A lousy copy of the pic - he shared this back in an earlier episode talking about his first really big score.

image.png.a00a12d76993b2159647e0dc2f82850e.png

1 hour ago, W16227 said:

Darrel actually found a real score back in the 1990s - I do not count any of the SW shows as real. 

A lousy copy of the pic - he shared this back in an earlier episode talking about his first really big score.

image.png.a00a12d76993b2159647e0dc2f82850e.png

They do mention that find in one of the episodes of Storage Wars and Darrel said he regrets selling them back then because of their current value. 

There have been a few big comic finds over the years with storage bins. I'm actually surprised more people in here aren't active on this front given that fact as they really are a lot of fun. My wife and I have been going to storage bin auctions for at least 6-7 years now. Unfortunately, they have gotten more and more popular over the years and that rise in popularity has definitely raised the average price many of the bins wind up selling for. When we first started going to storage bin auctions, there would only be a small group of people in most instances. Now many of them can have pretty large groups of people and again, its definitely raised the average price many of the bins wind up selling for. One of the things they really don't show on the TV shows is just how worthless, dirty and smelly many of them are. The TV shows tend to only show the quality bins that wind up having decent stuff in them. Definitely make sure you bring a quality pair of working gloves if you ever decide to start attending and bidding on bins. And its a LOT of work and requires at least a truck or van to move many of the items. You usually have 24-48 hours to clean the bin out after the auction is over.

We have definitely won some great bins over the years. I found a substantial antique camera collection when we first started attending storage bin auctions. It was just the 2nd bin we had ever won and that find really got me hooked on storage bin auctions. Another big bin we won had a TON of older Coca-Cola memorabilia and a bunch of misc fountain shop equipment. We wound up making around $6,000 on that bin. And we just won one a couple weeks back that had these really cool blue storage type lockers that wound up being perfect for storing art books. It also wound up having a really nice Milwaukee tool chest, which had a large set of Snap-On tools, like 8 full boxes of quality hardcover books, a digital dart board, and a couple of cool lamps and end tables. Unfortunately, I have only found comics once in the roughly 20 storage bin auctions we have won over the years. There were 6 short boxes full of mostly silver age comics, but the condition was only around 5.0 on average so while it was still a nice find, it just wasn't anything earth shattering. One of the boxes was like 75% full of silver age Wonder Woman comics and most of those still have a decent value to them. 

A word of warning tho, storage bin auctions can get addicting. Its really no different from any other kind of gambling. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

16 hours ago, W16227 said:

They are real with some BS thrown in. They subsidize the "stars" buys hence they appear at all these far-and-away places where they wouldn't normally go.  Then you will see some random item they need to get an expert's opinion but that item is totally out of character for the unit. Those are often planted items to keep the show interesting.

16 hours ago, W16227 said:
14 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

There have been a few big comic finds over the years with storage bins. I'm actually surprised more people in here aren't active on this front given that fact as they really are a lot of fun. My wife and I have been going to storage bin auctions for at least 6-7 years now. Unfortunately, they have gotten more and more popular over the years and that rise in popularity has definitely raised the average price many of the bins wind up selling for. When we first started going to storage bin auctions, there would only be a small group of people in most instances. Now many of them can have pretty large groups of people and again, its definitely raised the average price many of the bins wind up selling for. One of the things they really don't show on the TV shows is just how worthless, dirty and smelly many of them are. The TV shows tend to only show the quality bins that wind up having decent stuff in them. Definitely make sure you bring a quality pair of working gloves if you ever decide to start attending and bidding on bins. And its a LOT of work and requires at least a truck or van to move many of the items. You usually have 24-48 hours to clean the bin out after the auction is over.

We have definitely won some great bins over the years. I found a substantial antique camera collection when we first started attending storage bin auctions. It was just the 2nd bin we had ever won and that find really got me hooked on storage bin auctions. Another big bin we won had a TON of older Coca-Cola memorabilia and a bunch of misc fountain shop equipment. We wound up making around $6,000 on that bin. And we just won one a couple weeks back that had these really cool blue storage type lockers that wound up being perfect for storing art books. It also wound up having a really nice Milwaukee tool chest, which had a large set of Snap-On tools, like 8 full boxes of quality hardcover books, a digital dart board, and a couple of cool lamps and end tables. Unfortunately, I have only found comics once in the roughly 20 storage bin auctions we have won over the years. There were 6 short boxes full of mostly silver age comics, but the condition was only around 5.0 on average so while it was still a nice find, it just wasn't anything earth shattering. One of the boxes was like 75% full of silver age Wonder Woman comics and most of those still have a decent value to them. 

A word of warning tho, storage bin auctions can get addicting. Its really no different from any other kind of gambling. 

I often wondered what do you do with all the trash you ultimately get from any of these units? The storage facility I use has no dumpsters or garbage bins so you have to haul everything away. Seems like unless you really know what you're doing and you're lucky its a break-even or lose big-time, time-waster.

58 minutes ago, GM8 said:

They are real with some BS thrown in. They subsidize the "stars" buys hence they appear at all these far-and-away places where they wouldn't normally go.  Then you will see some random item they need to get an expert's opinion but that item is totally out of character for the unit. Those are often planted items to keep the show interesting.

I often wondered what do you do with all the trash you ultimately get from any of these units? The storage facility I use has no dumpsters or garbage bins so you have to haul everything away. Seems like unless you really know what you're doing and you're lucky its a break-even or lose big-time, time-waster.

Agreed.  And it's not like you're working in a professional, office-environment.  I'm sure there are many dirtbags that go to these type of things - no thanks.

9 minutes ago, spreads said:

Agreed.  And it's not like you're working in a professional, office-environment.  I'm sure there are many dirtbags that go to these type of things - no thanks.

Ive been watching the storage lockers that sell in my area looking for a good deal. It's all online here. Anytime I see something remotely interesting it ends up going for 200 to 300 dollars. There seems to be a lot people looking at these right now. I've spent a lot of time analyzing photos for things I could sell but I've never seen anything exceptional. Lots of used beds, unmarked boxes ect. 

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Ive been watching the storage lockers that sell in my area looking for a good deal. It's all online here. Anytime I see something remotely interesting it ends up going for 200 to 300 dollars. There seems to be a lot people looking at these right now. I've spent a lot of time analyzing photos for things I could sell but I've never seen anything exceptional. Lots of used beds, unmarked boxes ect. 

I'm sure there are junk dealers and guys that sell stuff at swap meets, some are probably okay to deal with while others would be total skids.  And trying to push this stuff at flea markets or online, whichever method the buyers use, is not an effective use of my time.

6 hours ago, GM8 said:

The place we drop off our recycling has 4 huge dumpsters in the very back that is just for garbage. That's where we dump the stuff that is literally garbage. We also have a Salvation Army a couple miles down the road, which unfortunately just closed down, and we would drop a lot of lesser valued items there that weren't junk, but you would have a VERY hard time selling. They would take just about anything there as long as it wasn't garbage. And I'm not sure if you have ever heard of the TV show called Hardcore Pawn? Its a reality tv show based on the pawn shop "American Jewelry and Loan", which ls located in Detroit. That store is only around 20 minutes away from us and we have moved quite a bit of stuff through them over the years. You don't get a lot of money for the stuff, but it definitely helps move some of the lesser quality stuff that you don't want to keep and would have a hard time moving otherwise. The whole idea behind storage bins is getting the good stuff while getting rid of the rest of it. The Salvation Army and American Jewelry and Loan have definitely been 2 of our go to places for getting rid of most of that lesser quality stuff. Not sure what we will do now that the Salvation Army has shut down. Need to see if there is another one that isn't too far away.

And supposedly 4/5 people make money off of storage bin auctions, with the 1/5 either breaking even or losing money.

"“Four out of 5 people make money and 1 out of 5 breaks even or loses money in this business,” he said. “I know more than 100 people who make over $100,000 a year doing this.”

https://www.sparefoot.com/self-storage/blog/13143-how-to-make-money-at-storage-auctions/

We have won around 20 bins over the years and there are only 2 I can think of that we wound up losing money on, and neither were huge losses. One wound up being a bin that literally had about 30 medium size plastic storage containers that were literally full of cheap flip flops, lol. We dumped that entire bin on the salvation army and amazingly, they took all of them as even tho they were cheap flip flops, they were all brand new so they still took them. They just send them to the main distribution center and they then get sent to different Salvation Army stores in that region. 

5 hours ago, spreads said:

This isn't true at all. Most of the people that I have seen at storage bin auctions look just like average middle class Americans. And I'm not sure what kind of environment you would expect. It takes place right at the storage facilities so its exactly what one should expect. Many of the facilities are actually very nice places, in very nice cities. I'm certainly not going to any of the storage places that are located in slums. This is just a complete misconception of what its really like. 

5 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

A lot of the time, that is where you find some of the most interesting stuff. That antique camera collection I spoke about earlier, that entire collection was stored in plain brown unmarked boxes. The reason I purchased that bin was because it had a nice gas style pressure washer. The camera collection was literally impossible to see. And that's why storage bin auctions are basically gambling. Your not allowed to go into the bin to look around so you can only see a few things with most bins and you have to make an educated guess from there as to what else might be in there.

How organized and clean a bin is can be one of the key's to the quality of the items in it. And having a general knowledge for various markets like antiques definitely comes in handy. For example, one of the bins we won, my wife immediately recognized a few pieces in the bin that were depression glass. I have no experience with that and thus would have never recognized it. It wound up there were like 10 boxes in that bin that were full of depression glass and its pretty easy to move that stuff on eBay.

Edited by OrangeCrush

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

The place we drop off our recycling has 4 huge dumpsters in the very back that is just for garbage. That's where we dump the stuff that is literally garbage. We also have a Salvation Army a couple miles down the road, which unfortunately just closed down, and we would drop a lot of lesser valued items there that weren't junk, but you would have a VERY hard time selling. They would take just about anything there as long as it wasn't garbage. And I'm not sure if you have ever heard of the TV show called Hardcore Pawn? Its a reality tv show based on the pawn shop "American Jewelry and Loan", which ls located in Detroit. That store is only around 20 minutes away from us and we have moved quite a bit of stuff through them over the years. You don't get a lot of money for the stuff, but it definitely helps move some of the lesser quality stuff that you don't want to keep and would have a hard time moving otherwise. The whole idea behind storage bins is getting the good stuff while getting rid of the rest of it. The Salvation Army and American Jewelry and Loan have definitely been 2 of our go to places for getting rid of most of that lesser quality stuff. Not sure what we will do now that the Salvation Army has shut down. Need to see if there is another one that isn't too far away.

And supposedly 4/5 people make money off of storage bin auctions, with the 1/5 either breaking even or losing money.

"“Four out of 5 people make money and 1 out of 5 breaks even or loses money in this business,” he said. “I know more than 100 people who make over $100,000 a year doing this.”

https://www.sparefoot.com/self-storage/blog/13143-how-to-make-money-at-storage-auctions/

We have won around 20 bins over the years and there are only 2 I can think of that we wound up losing money on, and neither were huge losses. One wound up being a bin that literally had about 30 medium size plastic storage containers that were literally full of cheap flip flops, lol. We dumped that entire bin on the salvation army and amazingly, they took all of them as even tho they were cheap flip flops, they were all brand new so they still took them. They just send them to the main distribution center and they then get sent to different Salvation Army stores in that region. 

This isn't true at all. Most of the people that I have seen at storage bin auctions look just like average middle class Americans. And I'm not sure what kind of environment you would expect. It takes place right at the storage facilities so its exactly what one should expect. Many of the facilities are actually very nice places, in very nice cities. I'm certainly not going to any of the storage places that are located in slums. This is just a complete misconception of what its really like. 

A lot of the time, that is where you find some of the most interesting stuff. That antique camera collection I spoke about earlier, that entire collection was stored in plain brown unmarked boxes. The reason I purchased that bin was because it had a nice gas style pressure washer. The camera collection was literally impossible to see. And that's why storage bin auctions are basically gambling. Your not allowed to go into the bin to look around so you can only see a few things with most bins and you have to make an educated guess from there as to what else might be in there.

How organized and clean a bin is can be one of the key's to the quality of the items in it. And having a general knowledge for various markets like antiques definitely comes in handy. For example, one of the bins we won, my wife immediately recognized a few pieces in the bin that were depression glass. I have no experience with that and thus would have never recognized it. It wound up there were like 10 boxes in that bin that were full of depression glass and its pretty easy to move that stuff on eBay.

Do you think the people on storage wars aren't skids?  Aside from Barry, most look and act like dirtbags - they haven't demonstrated any level of education.  I haven't watched an episode of Storage Wars in years, but from the few minutes I could stand listening to that Rene guy in this clip he didn't sound very smart or educated. 

Edited by spreads

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I have seen Hard Core Pawn and always liked their rawness as compared to Pawn Stars.  The customers they get in that store are enough to scare anyone out of the pawn business....just argumentative about everything and many are just trying to hustle every second. They seem to do well despite it so kudos to them.

If 4/5 people make bucks and many make $100K I'd be surprised honestly.  That quote is from an auctioneer so he has every reason to exaggerate. He makes more money the more competitive it is.

That's too bad about your Salvation Army closing.  Try Goodwill, they will take almost anything clean and useful too. I use the Givebackbox all the time and it's free to ship them donations. http://www.givebackbox.com/

3 hours ago, spreads said:

Do you think the people on storage wars aren't skids?  Aside from Barry, most look and act like dirtbags - they haven't demonstrated any level of education.  I haven't watched an episode of Storage Wars in years, but from the few minutes I could stand listening to that Rene guy in this clip he didn't sound very smart or educated. 

As if the people on Storage Wars was an actual decent sampling of the kind of people you see at your average storage bin auction, lol. I have been to well over 60+ live storage bin auctions and again, the VAST majority of people that I have seen look just like average joe middle class Americans. And you RARELY ever see the kind of drama that is shown on those shows. Those shows specifically pick out people with particular personalities that will be entertaining to follow and by doing so they ultimately pit them against one another. What you see on those shows is not indicative of what you see at your average storage bin auction at all. And considering you have never actually been to one....well, you will have to excuse me if I don't take your opinions of them seriously, especially when they go against everything I have seen first hand. Don't get me wrong, if you want to think storage bin auctions are disgusting places where the white trash of America hangs out...well, your entitled to your opinions no matter how wrong they may be. Ultimately, your just 1 less person I have to worry about showing up and outbidding me. 

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

I have seen Hard Core Pawn and always liked their rawness as compared to Pawn Stars.  The customers they get in that store are enough to scare anyone out of the pawn business....just argumentative about everything and many are just trying to hustle every second. They seem to do well despite it so kudos to them.

If 4/5 people make bucks and many make $100K I'd be surprised honestly.  That quote is from an auctioneer so he has every reason to exaggerate. He makes more money the more competitive it is.

That's too bad about your Salvation Army closing.  Try Goodwill, they will take almost anything clean and useful too. I use the Givebackbox all the time and it's free to ship them donations. http://www.givebackbox.com/

Yeah, I have seen many of those customers first hand. They can get pretty crazy at times, but you really don't have to worry when you go there as they have a really great security crew. If you go on a day when they aren't filming, if someone makes a ruckus, they are out on the street like that. When they are filming they tend to let it go on a bit longer, as long as its not something legitimately threatening to customers, no doubt to make the show a bit more entertaining. If anyone even mentions a gun or says they will hurt someone, the police are called immediately and they wind up showing up in no time at all. Les Gold doesn't take any cr*p from people. If your really familiar with that show then you might remember who Rich Pyle was. He worked there for like 15-20 years and was then fired. Its never been made public why he was fired, but I was pretty sad to see him go as he was always a really friendly guy. He's actually now on a National Geographic show called "Meldown", which focuses on precious metals. 

And I don't know how accurate the 4/5 is, but I do know that there are quite a few people out there making a lot of money on storage auctions. We have met quite a few people over the years at various auctions. This one couple we know just made like $25k on a bin that was full of brand new Harley motorcycle parts that were like 30-40 years old. 

And thanks for the Goodwill tip. I forgot all about Goodwill as we have always used the Salvation Army. And it does suck that our Salvation Army shut down as that has been there since I was a kid. At least 35-40+ years. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

12 hours ago, GM8 said:

Seriously, huge inherent bias and conflict of interest. 

If some auctioneer told me that, I'd ask for direct examples or a demonstrated business model how that's executed.  A few years ago I was at an estate auction where the auctioneer was quite disappointed with the results, he kept saying things like 'well that's a damn shame'.  There was a collection of comics (nothing of real value, mostly copper) that I convinced him to do a buyer's choice a $1 a piece, so I cherry-picked a bunch of filler books I was looking for runs.  He was flabbergasted no one else was interested in buying, and you could tell his $1 price was not what he felt they should be sold for.  Afterwards out of earshot of the rest of the crowd, I looked him square in the eye and said 'well then you buy them'  - he had no answer for that!

I don't think buying storage lockers or going to estate sales and other type of "hunting" activity is for everyone.

Like anything else, the harder you work and more experience you get, the better the results.

But it is by no means a glamorous undertaking and often requires an amount of luck along with the effort. Those people earn their money.

The folks who lose their valuables due to not paying storage fees are the real losers here though-- well at least in the cases where the value of the items inside far outweigh the cost of the rental. It is sort of the reason I hope to never use one of these facilities for my own stuff.

Side note: The way some of these videos play out is sort of gross to me in a way. They need to empty the storage area -- got it. They want to make a video and toss stuff around like it is garbage at the same time saying how valuable it is. Here's a thought-- just move the items out of that facility to your processing area and show the results later. You can video the storage locker contents as you progress without opening boxes and pawing through the items. Pulling out books from a long box, bending the book back in order to read the title (without a speck of knowledge about what they are reading), then slamming the book back in the box-- rinse/repeat.

The guy says in the video "I know a lot of you are saying we are handling the items rough BUT we are working over 8 hours here just trying to get this stuff out of here and we are tired"-- then he states the "stuff" might be worth this large amount of money. So act like the items are worth moving carefully and handle them later when you have time. This sort of speaks to the overall intelligence of the people making these videos I guess. While most of us would carefully move the stuff into our vehicles and into a garage or house somewhere, they are trying to show off the find as they move it and TIRED. Much more efficient to get the items elsewhere. Focus on your task. Seems simple enough. Not that I don't appreciate them sharing the find-- but do it later when you have sorted it out and can show the items worth seeing in the first place.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I don't think buying storage lockers or going to estate sales and other type of "hunting" activity is for everyone.

Like anything else, the harder you work and more experience you get, the better the results.

But it is by no means a glamorous undertaking and often requires an amount of luck along with the effort. Those people earn their money.

The folks who lose their valuables due to not paying storage fees are the real losers here though-- well at least in the cases where the value of the items inside far outweigh the cost of the rental. It is sort of the reason I hope to never use one of these facilities for my own stuff.

Side note: The way some of these videos play out is sort of gross to me in a way. They need to empty the storage area -- got it. They want to make a video and toss stuff around like it is garbage at the same time saying how valuable it is. Here's a thought-- just move the items out of that facility to your processing area and show the results later. You can video the storage locker contents as you progress without opening boxes and pawing through the items. Pulling out books from a long box, bending the book back in order to read the title (without a speck of knowledge about what they are reading), then slamming the book back in the box-- rinse/repeat.

The guy says in the video "I know a lot of you are saying we are handling the items rough BUT we are working over 8 hours here just trying to get this stuff out of here and we are tired"-- then he states the "stuff" might be worth this large amount of money. So act like the items are worth moving carefully and handle them later when you have time. This sort of speaks to the overall intelligence of the people making these videos I guess. While most of us would carefully move the stuff into our vehicles and into a garage or house somewhere, they are trying to show off the find as they move it and TIRED. Much more efficient to get the items elsewhere. Focus on your task. Seems simple enough. Not that I don't appreciate them sharing the find-- but do it later when you have sorted it out and can show the items worth seeing in the first place.

Actually, a significant number of them wind up being people that passed away. Its not just people slacking on payments. And I think one of the reasons why bin hunters are so successful is it just doesn't make a lot of sense renting a storage bin to just store a bunch of junk. I think most people would weight the yearly cost vs the items actually being stored. I know that's what I have always done when I rented bins and that's exactly why I wouldn't rent a bin to store all of my empty Sideshow statue boxes. The idea of spending hundreds of dollars a year to store empty boxes just made no sense. Obviously some still do rent bins to basically store junk, but I think in most cases people do at least some factoring of value into renting bins, especially long term.

Here is a decent bin by me that is currently up for auction. Its currently at $70. 

giant-1.thumb.jpg.8502cf2c3a8886a110d6bfcbe0f95ecd.jpggiant.thumb.jpg.a77e4a1cd744dc364af3e5105fc04d30.jpggiant-3.thumb.jpg.26d8a3f686624e54407ec62b132f29af.jpggiant-2.thumb.jpg.b509348a6eb85db73ac4723fd94ab0ec.jpglarge.jpg.8249fee9e621bc1c3245b7b42da1df20.jpg

I'm interested in those medical tables in the 2nd picture. Might just have to bid on this, but this bin is a LOT of work. I tend to stay away from bins that require this kind of moving commitment. Would have to rent a uHaul to get everything out. The fact that this has a sign in it saying Universal Health Group and the fact that it has medical tables and various exercise equipment makes it pretty easy to figure out what else might be in here. 

Now that I think about it, I really should have rented a bin for just one month and stored all my empty Sideshow boxes in it and then defaulted on it purposely. Oh man, that would have been so worth it to attend that auction and see people's faces when they opened it up and saw 45+ statue boxes and replica weapon boxes. It could have sold for a LOT of money. Of course, people would have no idea if the statues were in them or not, which would have made the decision to bid high on it all the more gut wrenching. On the one hand, that would be an awful thing to do to storage bin hunters, but on the other hand that really would have been a hoot to watch first hand. I could have videotaped it, lol. Such a missed opportunity there!

Edited by OrangeCrush