• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with Rob Liefeld? No CGC?
4 4

438 posts in this topic

Mary and Margaret are selling muffins in Muskogee.

Mary thinks her muffins are the best...and they are. She wants $20 each for them.

Margaret's muffins aren't as good as Mary's...they're not as big, they're not as moist, they don't have as many blueberries...but she prices them at $3 each.

They both start out with 50 muffins.

Mary sells 2 muffins at $20 each, and has 48 muffins left, which she must now dispose of.

Margaret sells 40 at $3 each, and has 10 muffins left, which she must now dispose of.

Who made more money...?

The next week, Margaret makes a deal with Mark to put her muffins in his food truck. He sells those muffins for the same price as Margaret: $3/ea. 

Margaret charges Mark $1 per muffin, and he gets to keep the other $2 he sells them for.

Margaret sells 37 muffins at $3 each, and Mark sells 50.

Mary doesn't think anyone should "profit off of her effort." She lowers her price to $15, but will not make any deals with other people to distribute her muffins.

Mary sells 3 muffins.

Who made more money...?

The next week, Macy*s makes a deal with Margaret for 500 muffins in a regional pilot program. Macy*s and Margaret agree to a price of 50 cents per muffin. Margaret hires an additional baker and two more helpers.

Margaret stops selling muffins herself, to concentrate on production. Mark sells 75 muffins. Macy*s has a front end deal with Margaret, so all 500 are sold before they are made.

Mary, getting a bit desperate, lowers her price to $10. She sells 6 muffins.

Who made more money...?

Dave Sim came the closest of anyone in the comic publishing business, and even HE couldn't do everything himself. He self-published, but he did NOT self-print, nor did he self-distribute. So, in exchange (essentially) for a portion of the cover price, he agreed to let others print the books, and other distribute the books.

And you gotta admire the man for putting his money where his principles were.

But how much business did he cost himself? And how much more could he have supported others in the comics industry if he didn't try to do it all himself?

Look at Image. Lee, McFarlane, Liefeld, all made millions of dollars. But in the process, other people made a lot of money, too. They were able to employ thousands and thousands of people, directly AND indirectly. In house staff, printers, distributors, retailers...all of whom Image supported when they did things properly.

How many people did Dave Sim employ, either directly or indirectly...?

Not thousands. Never thousands.

That is how commerce works: you give other people some of your profit, in exchange for mutually beneficial results. EVERYONE WINS.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

CGC won't honor the signature.

Unless they didn't know about it. Had and unscrupulous (and now ex-) CGC witness hide a couple of his own personal books mixed in with a couple of my own books he was witnessing signing for. At the moment, I was confused as to what he was doing, but he did it pretty smoothly (probably not his first time). Needless to say, he's an ex-witness now, but I think the books got SS labeled for him.

Edited by jcjames

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

Unless they didn't know about it. Had and unscrupulous (and now ex-) CGC witness hide a couple of his own personal books mixed in with a couple of my own books he was witnessing signing for. At the moment, I was confused as to what he was doing, but he did it pretty smoothly (probably not his first time). Needless to say, he's an ex-witness now, but I think the books got SS labeled for him.

That's not the scenario that TheCollector2016 was referring to. 

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

First, I'm not a dealer, and never have been. I am a collector who sells to support his addiction. 

Ah in denial, you are a dealer since you sell books to support. Yet the worst type of dealer one addicted to his own product. Now you have admitted you have an addiction. The admitting is the first step in the process to salvation.

The next step is saying yes I want help and reaching out for support.

There are support groups out there for you like Comicholics Anonymous. CA meets at most local comic shops every comic book release day. They talk about their experiences and support others who are trying to quit.

You will be assigned a sponsor who will help you try to quit, but will be there to support you on case of any relapses.

CA firmly believes in the meeting places being at comic shops because the temptation to buy needs to be front and center. Only then can you truly fight the addiction.

Comic shop owners have agreed to participate in this because they know the techniques to get you to come back. You have to be able to show you can fight those techniques. If you can't they get a lifelong addict.

The folks on "the other side" of this argument? They recognize they have no rational counterargument, so they engage in the politics of personal destruction: dismiss the messenger, and you dismiss the message. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

28 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Ah in denial, you are a dealer since you sell books to support. Yet the worst type of dealer one addicted to his own product. Now you have admitted you have an addiction. The admitting is the first step in the process to salvation.

The next step is saying yes I want help and reaching out for support.

There are support groups out there for you like Comicholics Anonymous. CA meets at most local comic shops every comic book release day. They talk about their experiences and support others who are trying to quit.

You will be assigned a sponsor who will help you try to quit, but will be there to support you on case of any relapses.

CA firmly believes in the meeting places being at comic shops because the temptation to buy needs to be front and center. Only then can you truly fight the addiction.

Comic shop owners have agreed to participate in this because they know the techniques to get you to come back. You have to be able to show you can fight those techniques. If you can't they get a lifelong addict.

:popcorn:

I went to eat at a crappy Chinese Buffet today for lunch. My fortune cookie said: The purpose of argument should not be victory, but progress.

I laughed and thought about this thread.

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

I went to eat at a crappy Chinese Buffet today for lunch. My fortune cookie said: The purpose of argument should not be victory, but progress.

There's been essentially no argument, in the sense meant by the fortune, going on in this thread.

But in the sense meant by the fortune, much, much progress has been made.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

26 minutes ago, newshane said:

For some, having to be right all the time is all they have in life (shrug)

3 hours ago, newshane said:

Rob was there wasn't he?  After you let him know the views of the people on all sides he smile and laughed too. 

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
20 hours ago, Logan510 said:

For some, having to be right all the time is all they have in life (shrug)

:popcorn:

The "you always think you're right about everything!!" and all its various manifestations are nothing but acknowledgements that that person doesn't have a rational counterargument, and must therefore resort to arguments "to the man"...ad hominem.

Everybody always thinks they're right about everything they believe. No one walks around believing things they know aren't true. 

Without people who "had to be right all the time", we wouldn't enjoy the civilization we do. The world is filled with the fearful, the cowardly, the hesitant, those too afraid to take a stand about anything for fear of losing their social status. And social status is a powerful motivator, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The "you always think you're right about everything!!" and all its various manifestations are nothing but acknowledgements that that person doesn't have a rational counterargument, and must therefore resort to arguments "to the man"...ad hominem.

Everybody always thinks they're right about everything they believe. No one walks around believing things they know aren't true. 

Without people who "had to be right all the time", we wouldn't enjoy the civilization we do. The world is filled with the fearful, the cowardly, the hesitant, those too afraid to take a stand about anything for fear of losing their social status. And social status is a powerful motivator, no doubt. 

The Energizer Bunny is back