• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are art collectors?

Art collectors - how old are you?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Age ranges

• Under 30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2018 at 07:04 AM

35 posts in this topic

This poll was inspired by the poll for 'how long have you been collecting art'.  Since the results there show most of us in the higher end - I was curious to see if that makes most of us fall into the higher age groups ?

I expect to see a ridiculously high number in thae 41 - 50 range continue.  The under 30 result will most likely end up causing concern amongst many I presume as well.  But...many collector's I know 'graduated' to art after focusing on comics, books, toys and even posters prior to the art bug biting them.   I didn't know a lot of collectors in my 20's and early 30's other than myself actually, but boom...here we are now!  I don't know a lot of 20 something's who throw 1k around for a high quality (hopefully) splash page either.  As a book I read once said..."Don't Panic". And obviously...the answer will be 42....;)

Edited by williamhlawson
incorrect spelling drives me mad

I wonder if the poll accurately reflects the pool of OA collectors' ages. People in the 41-50 group are often busy raising families and saving/paying for college. This seems like a tough hobby to afford or to remain active, when busy with those other things. And how many people in that age group can afford dropping 6 figures for some artwork?

I would expect the actual ages to poll higher.

6 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

I expect to see a ridiculously high number in thae 41 - 50 range continue.  The under 30 result will most likely end up causing concern amongst many I presume as well.  But...many collector's I know 'graduated' to art after focusing on comics, books, toys and even posters prior to the art bug biting them.   I didn't know a lot of collectors in my 20's and early 30's other than myself actually, but boom...here we are now!  I don't know a lot of 20 something's who through 1k around for a high quality (hopefully) splash page either.  As a book I read once said..."Don't Panic". And obviously...the answer will be 42....;)

The universe is so depressing:foryou:

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I wonder if the poll accurately reflects the pool of OA collectors' ages. People in the 41-50 group are often busy raising families and saving/paying for college. This seems like a tough hobby to afford or to remain active, when busy with those other things. And how many people in that age group can afford dropping 6 figures for some artwork?

Perhaps if this poll was up on CAF - it would be different?  As the pool is larger than thoae of us here.

20 somethings don't have money to buy comic art. By all accounts they aren't good at savings, incur HUGE debts early, and spend it as they make it. I'm not trying to be mean, but i think its unreasonable to expect them be to able to afford this stuff...heck I dont know how I can afford this stuff anymore lol.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The old timers are over on Comicart-L (:

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

20 somethings don't have money to buy comic art. By all accounts they aren't good at savings, incur HUGE debts early, and spend it as they make it. I'm not trying to be mean, but i think its unreasonable to expect them be to able to afford this stuff...heck I dont know how I can afford this stuff anymore lol.

At least one collector exists. Remember the Capullo Batman 1 cover?

On 3/14/2018 at 11:11 AM, zhamlau said:

Turned 29 this year. :)

Started collecting when I was 25 or so.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:09 PM, Panelfan1 said:

This poll was inspired by the poll for 'how long have you been collecting art'.  Since the results there show most of us in the higher end - I was curious to see if that makes most of us fall into the higher age groups ?

4 years :D

Thanks for letting me know of this group!!! 

10 hours ago, Nexus said:

Heh...a poll of my customer base would look quite a bit different. But so would their OA collecting interests. We skew older here (and as Hekla points out, probably even older on Comicart-L), with a collecting emphasis on vintage art.

maybe that could be a topic for a future podcast. do a survey and discuss. or not. just an idea.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Nexus said:

Heh...a poll of my customer base would look quite a bit different. But so would their OA collecting interests. We skew older here (and as Hekla points out, probably even older on Comicart-L), with a collecting emphasis on vintage art.

Nostalgia - we always talk about it here, but I'm not sure that we often talk about how  it is rather conservative at its heart. Its a yearning for 'the good old days'... or the next best thing, something that can transport us back to that time. Not everyone feels nostalgia to the same extent, and young people specifically obviously don't have a lot of 'old days' to feel nostalgic about. As the saying goes, you can't get all nostalgic about something that just happened!

So of course modern art buyers skew young, they likely just love the medium, the nostalgia will come later - if you stay in the game you're in, you can likely introduce a few generations to the hobby. You're peddling a gateway drug that no one ever thought to warn their kids about hm

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

On 3/14/2018 at 12:16 AM, williamhlawson said:

I expect to see a ridiculously high number in thae 41 - 50 range continue.  The under 30 result will most likely end up causing concern amongst many I presume as well.  But...many collector's I know 'graduated' to art after focusing on comics, books, toys and even posters prior to the art bug biting them.   I didn't know a lot of collectors in my 20's and early 30's other than myself actually, but boom...here we are now!  I don't know a lot of 20 something's who throw 1k around for a high quality (hopefully) splash page either.  As a book I read once said..."Don't Panic". And obviously...the answer will be 42....;)

Bingo.  I've collected comics with some pauses from age 9 to now (34)... and really only got into OA starting last year.  It can take time, but am sure many come to see the light in this fashion.