• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Beauties Steve!I especially love and want to search out a'Scratch of Death' October issue,full moon,raving eyebrow loony,swoon and NURSESES!

Great score and write up! :cloud9:

Really scarce these ones Jim, and in amazing condition. I'm really pleased with them :)

4 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

this is true love

It could be Pete, yes. Or, given the subject matter of three of the books, an indication that hospitalisation is beckoning...

Groundbreaking news coming soon :)

Well. Mildly interesting. If you like this kind of thing. 

Alright, forget I said anything. 

Here's some Reptilicus' while we wait

138552074_Reptilicus1(Vol.1)August1961(6d)CopyB.thumb.jpg.5a307c7e6c806588d71d2a04d288b498.jpg 345284241_Reptilicus1(Vol.1)August1961(6d)CopyC(Missingblackink).thumb.jpg.c857bc11943e6d2e2a2064fe19693cd2.jpg 605203755_Reptilicus1(Vol.1)August1961(6d).thumb.jpg.d286d2c15d97c3b746e04ddd67ab6168.jpg

:)

And a new one, in customary Charlton Pence Copy condition:

380280279_KidMontana41(Vol.2)July1963(9d).thumb.jpg.e6c028036a5f064aa95b06a33f88670b.jpg

Nice 5d stamp that :)

How about a theory that Charlton pre stressed all of their books to assure the adoring public it was all being well read?

I haven't seen reptilicus and his adoring acid slime for years. I feel young again.  I also take note that Kid Montana is starting to look disturbingly like his doppelganger Reed Richards. Is there a rubber stamp or that?

That young intern is straight out of Marathon Man. 

Edited by Glassman10

4 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

How about a theory that Charlton pre stressed all of their books to assure the adoring public it was all being well read?

I haven't seen reptilicus and his adoring acid slime for years. I feel young again.  I also take note that Kid Montana is starting to look disturbingly like his doppelganger Reed Richards. Is there a rubber stamp or that?

That young intern is straight out of Marathon Man. 

Is it safe Glassman? 

I think the burning question is why Charlton books seem to be losing their value in the peso and pence variants. Since no one seems to ever slab these gems despite the clear 2.0 grading they would get. it's hard to get a census on any of them despite the evidence that many don't seem to exist at all. At least with AF15 we know that despite the fact that there are tons of copies. it maintains its value except when it doesn't. When's the Last time you saw Dr Brent and his flying Nurses offered up on Ebay as a fraud?   Further , it's clear that the Brent Universe is lacking in studio movie making abilities.  I mean, imagine the box office potential of Reptilicus and Gorgo attacking the Sweet romances at the worst possible times to where That Kid Montana  had to empty an AR15 into the both just to find the solitude to brood in? 

Edited by Glassman10
too many "L"'s

Now you're just being silly Pete :)

I've actually got two bits of groundbreaking Charlton news coming soon. Yes, that's right, two. Can you all contain your excitement I wonder? Well, I say 'you all'. Can't have everything can you. Even Foggy's hopped it. 

Anyroad (Fred Elliott), here's a new arrival:

426109916_RomanticSecrets32(Vol.1)April1961(6d).thumb.jpg.c291cde77f02fbdbb998cab162d330b9.jpg

The love may not indeed be flawless, but it will be fine for just a little while longer. That is of course until misery guts in the background brings our lady in red's whole world crashing down. And you know she's going to, don't you. And then only a top up from the blue handed salver will ease that broken heart. 

None of it makes sense of course. Why I do this I mean. I mean, look at it. All torn and dented. A bit of damp even.

No, it doesn't make sense at all. That is until you listen to this:

Now it all makes sense, doesn't it. 

Doesn't it?

....youuuu are-are onnnn, the aiiirrrrr!

Well, I like it.

Afternoon Charlies :)

Every so often I go trawling the titles on the 'missing list' and meet with customary zero success. When I started this thread, these five titles had yet to yield a pencificated copy:

missing.PNG.0af6986ecd63c4edfa6b6f94ef6b0c3b.PNG

Then, in a rit of fealous jage, Teen-Age Hotrodders came a knocking with a pence price rocking (see a few pages back if you can be arsed) leaving us with a measly four unpencificated titles.

Now something in my gut tells me that it needs to get out, and quickly. I blame the wife's cooking for that, but that's not relevant to the discussion. I say discussion. Something else in my gut tells me that the Kennedy one shot may never reveal itself to Pencedom. I mean, she's from the US of A isn't she and maybe someone decided that no one here in Blighty would give a flying fart at a rolling doughnut for her story. Never say never though, as the Connery Codger said. Again. 

Army War Heroes will likely exist. Even though there will only be one of him, I think he will appear as a 9d as there are Presidents on that. Precedents too.

Which leaves us with SOLAM and TSD.

When you look at them together on the master sheet (sounds like the chief Oriental poo doesn't it, 'master sheet'), we see a striking pattern. By the way, never get struck by a pattern if you can help it. Take it from me, it really hurts, and I try to rule that out of my life (that was for you Gnash @Gnasher if you ever return from your frankly unauthorised absence):

solam.thumb.PNG.f9d1ccbc5ff6811478efe8712ab4db2f.PNG tsd.thumb.PNG.437b6439e7af0e9d769b6154c958e0ae.PNG

So, you should never start a sentence with 'so' I'm told.  Even so, that still leaves us with no pence copies for these two titles. Were they skipped?  As Steve McGarrett once said, "I dunno, Danno".

Anyway, I saw this lovely 10c copy of SOLAM out in the ether and just had to buy it, if only to feel one step closer to it's - possibly non-existent - pence cousin:

solam2.thumb.jpg.22ba6a19a5f700960d9978abbded77f7.jpg

Lovely isn't it. Beautiful logo and colouring. And I love a comic with a nice arrival date on it. 'July 1959' to the indicias October.

So (there I go again), no pence copies of TSD and SOLAM. But maybe one day.

Hope you enjoyed this ramble, despite the lack of pence copies.

See ya :)

Oh, one last thing:

2032885607_SecretsofLoveandMarriage25(Vol.2)June1961(6d).thumb.jpg.3ed5734efc5f278af3332a4da1354050.jpg

Never trust a grown man called Bart (thumbsu

Blame the lack of a pence copy of  "Secrets of Love and Marriage" on the English socialized medical system.  They prescribe Buster Crabbe swimming pools as if that will help poor Ted.  Rip off that Bandage! See the real injury to his ego!

49 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Blame the lack of a pence copy of  "Secrets of Love and Marriage" on the English socialized medical system.  They prescribe Buster Crabbe swimming pools as if that will help poor Ted.  Rip off that Bandage! See the real injury to his ego!

It's because of the English socialized medical system that we can afford to prescribe Buster Crabbe swimming pools. I take two with water everyday before mealtime.

Also, if poor Ted might never walk again, what's with the bandage on his forehead? This looks more like a training issue than anything else.