• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's Newer Conserved Label Guidelines Help

4 posts in this topic

I have two Early purple label restored All Star Comics.  Both had slight (P) with one only having a tear seal and reinforcement and the other the same, but with a cover cleaning.   Now that they have conserved blue labels for such books that have no color touch and no pieces added etc. Do they both qualify?  The first one for sure, but the cleaning one is a gray area as it says some cleaning allowed in conserved books (but not all cleaning I suppose?).   I have also seen newly restored books graded with cleaning and still the purple label, not the conserved label, so I just need to know if I should ship both books back to CGC for reholdering into the new conserved label or just the one that does not have the cover cleaning???

Can anyone help with this question???

Edited by TC33

I think if it was solvent cleaned (which is probably the case for CGC to detect it in the first place) then it doesn't count as conserved. I think only dry cleaning gets a pass, but others might know better.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:05 PM, TC33 said:

I have two Early purple label restored All Star Comics.  Both had slight (P) with one only having a tear seal and reinforcement and the other the same, but with a cover cleaning.   Now that they have conserved blue labels for such books that have no color touch and no pieces added etc. Do they both qualify?  The first one for sure, but the cleaning one is a gray area as it says some cleaning allowed in conserved books (but not all cleaning I suppose?).   I have also seen newly restored books graded with cleaning and still the purple label, not the conserved label, so I just need to know if I should ship both books back to CGC for reholdering into the new conserved label or just the one that does not have the cover cleaning???

Can anyone help with this question???

I don't think they simply reholder with a new label, I was under the assumption you must get it regraded. The reasoning being they have to inspect it again to decide. I'm not sure about this but I thought I heard it somewhere. Regarding the cover cleaning, again, I would think they need to see it as there is no broad stroke answer.

I was told by the CGC moderator in the ask CGC a question section that both books should be good if they are coming from a CGC P  resto label.   The only time cleaning is not conservation is when it is poorly done and fades/washes the colors etc.  It looks like I have 2 great candidates for the new partially blue conserved label.  :)

P.S.  That goes for the tear seals/reinforcement also.  It needs to be professionally done with archival materials and not super glue etc. or it does not qualify.

Edited by TC33