• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the difference in levels?

4 posts in this topic

I've searched this forum and cant find a definition for what the different levels are.  What does an A+ Level page mean, as compared to an A level, B level, C level?  And from what I've read, these levels are different that a cover level.  

These aren't exactly well-defined actual terms I believe.  They are meant to differentiate pieces, but mean absolutely nothing in reality, except to the buyer and seller.  There are many variables and I'm certain a dealer or two has a cool algorithm to garner correct valuation and 'categorize' the page into a price point.  Variables are all over the place (artist, inker, do they have history together, on this character, the publication status, era of creation, condition, white out, paste-ups, stats, number of panels, number of panels with key character(s), character(s) involved, is there a pivotal moment on the page (the whole thing or just a scene), action, rising action, talking,. etc.)...The sheer variety and complexity of variables in trying to establish this makes it even simpler to me....A+ means I'll pay more than for a comparable example, for reasons that makes it an A+ to me.  The 'grouping' of pages into tiers is clearly inexact science, but does have merit to some degree.  A full splash of your favorite character is awesome, and not a lock at A+, no one said they were facing you. 

I'll take a stab at defining this. I think I might have even posted this before. These are solely my personal criteria. I tend to do it by book...

A -- the cover with a strong costume image. Or a DPS or splash with the same.

B -- a strong costume action paneled page

C -- costume side-shots or back shots or small costume panels

D -- "character" pages (as in character actor), talking heads, out-of-costume pages.

A+  -- I classify these outside of a given book/issue. As in, you have all of the artist's A pages laid out in front of you. A+ are the top 25% (or whatever) of that group. Could be because of aesthetics or a pivotal story moment, inker, era, etc.

I would say the above only applies to superhero books. Different criteria for indie dramas.