• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, FSF said:

Great call on the Getty Museum.  The grounds alone are worth visiting.  It's pretty awesome.  I don't know if you are a fan of Van Gogh but his 'Irises' is located there and it is INSANE.  I could stare at it all day.

I visited J Paul Getty museum once about 10 years ago. Love the grounds, flowers, architecture. Side trip to Petersen Auto museum planned: first time :golfclap:after digging for comics ... of course.

4 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I hate to disagree, and I have been to 98% of all of them since the beginning. But in terms of high quality GA/SA it is still the SHOW...if you want to see Action 1 in real life that is the place to go, more than one of them. It has changed, I prefer in terms of pure comic book collecting  Wondercon,  has the old SDCC 80's/90's feel and well balanced. So for Ultra expensive CGC graded top of the line, SDCC is still king. But the size of the SDCC has grown so big, that it really has become intimidating in term of a show. I support 100% these new comic book related Dealer "pop up shows" as well as the san diego other comic book show which is coming I think on 4/20 this year for collectors to feel what it used to be like. The convention realized early that comic book dealers were being pushed out or "lost" in the sea of so many different dealers, so they located GA/SA in a section, as well as original Art which is helpful, this happened to wonder con this year, I think for the first time. SDCC has become very difficult to get in, I agree with that but i SDCC still is "king" in my book

In all due respect Mitch, you live in San Diego. How eager would you be as an average attendee to pay $600 a day for a hotel for 4 days, pay $20. A day for lottery parking (if you are lucky enough to get it). Not to mention the jacked up prices for food and drink. All to shuffle along with the masses who aren't even there for comic books? And this is if you are "lucky" enough to be able to get a pass.  I know what an Action #1 looks like. I go to buy GA comics. LOTS of reasonably priced GA comics. They aren't as easy to find any more. Dealers only bring the "big stuff" which I don't care about anyway. I went to every one from 1973 to 2 years ago. But I'm done now and don't miss the hassle.

1 hour ago, FSF said:

On a Sunday, it can't be more than an hour round trip, if even that.  Great call on the Getty Museum.  The grounds alone are worth visiting.  It's pretty awesome, though very heavy on religious art.  I don't know if you are a fan of Van Gogh but his 'Irises' is located there and it is INSANE.  I could stare at it all day.

A 15 minute drive on a Sunday...

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would love to hear the thoughts from dealers in regards to your comments above. While I understand you may be over SDCC and maybe locals may be looking for an alternative (to SDCC), I just don't see how 17 dealers from across the country would come out to do a one day show in San Diego. Are San Diego buyers that desperate that they have no alternative to fill their runs, that this is the only solution? I mean it's not like local shops or ebay don't have the items they are looking for.

no matter how many people you get to attend this one day show, i can't imagine that it compares to the amount of traffic (money) over a 5 day show a few days later. I assume you will be attending, and providing a full report. Can't wait to hear from some of the dealers who do this show etc

It's the week before SDCC. Most dealers from out of state get to town by Monday anyway. A chance to sell their wares to an eager and deep pocketed SO CA crowd who isn't attending SDCC doesn't sound like a bad idea no matter how you look at it. There are a lot of avenues to buy comics. But nothing beats the experience of buying in person and hanging out with good friends. 

I hope to attend. Got to check my schedule. I usually go to Portland for an antique show at that time and a lot of picking. I suspect it might be pretty good. I'll bet that a lot more out of state dealers sign up between now and then.

As far as the dealers go. I know they have been doubling and trippleing up in booths for a while now. That says something to me...

I never heard of Torpedo Comics until earlier last week when Jim Lee mentioned it during his twitch/Youtube stream.

I believe he will make his Action Comics 1000 variant cover available there.  If somebody is willing to grab me a copy drop me a message.

***Any new con is a good thing(thumbsu

14 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics

• Dave & Adams Card World
  • Lone Star Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • Comic Cellar
  • Big Wow Comics

I'll be out of the country then. DAMN!

Mmehdy, I understand and get your meaning on how SDCC is still “king” when it come to ultra mega GA/SA books shown. Also yes, it is huge in terms of size. That show might be easy in travel if many fans are nearby or locals. Not to others who are far away and requires more expenses to spent. 

My friend here wanted to go there last year and this year. He tried to buy a ticket, but as we all know, tickets gone fast. He asked me to join with him. I declined as I wasn’t interested.Oh, SDCC is still the king ... when it comes to media and other stuff. Do you see me expressing interest in these themes? NO. With tickets being expensive, it’s not justified by expenses... and not enough in terms of comic books within my budget. 

46 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I will come out this show. I’ve booked the same hotel and will book flights later.

any chance we can get Greggy to show up?

Zero chance

2 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

Maybe if this works, someone'll do something similar around NYCC...

They already tried doing another show near nycc. The thing is, nycc does nothing to nyc hotel and other prices. It is just a blip. Maybe within a few blocks of javitz. 25k out of town visitors barely registers.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

They already tried doing another show near nycc. The thing is, nycc does nothing to nyc hotel and other prices. It is just a blip. Maybe within a few blocks of javitz. 25k out of town visitors barely registers.

True, true.

I am a bit bummed that SDCC seems to be getting less comic-y every year as I have been offered free SDCC passes the last few years by my buddy in the tv biz, but took a pass due to the cost of getting out there and staying out there. I really need to do a CA trip this summer to visit my newly birthed nephews up in the bay area, and it looks like my SDCC (and, gasp, NYCC...) source has dried up. He even offered to pay for my hotel room last year, but I thought that was too much generosity. I'm not a charity case, mostly...although the Yankee playoff game he took me to later on in the year was frigging awesome! Was in San Diego like a week before SDCC a few years ago for something else and it was just such a beautiful town. really want to go back.

Edited by the blob

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

In all due respect Mitch, you live in San Diego. How eager would you be as an average attendee to pay $600 a day for a hotel for 4 days, pay $20. A day for lottery parking (if you are lucky enough to get it). Not to mention the jacked up prices for food and drink. All to shuffle along with the masses who aren't even there for comic books? And this is if you are "lucky" enough to be able to get a pass.  I know what an Action #1 looks like. I go to buy GA comics. LOTS of reasonably priced GA comics. They aren't as easy to find any more. Dealers only bring the "big stuff" which I don't care about anyway. I went to every one from 1973 to 2 years ago. But I'm done now and don't miss the hassle.

One, and most locals know this, nobody parks near the convention, they take the trolley in, its free parking at mission valley stadium.  2d,The hotel situation has gotten a lot better with Air/BB etc, nobody should pay hotel prices, and most semi-localsl like yourself should get one day pass, no expenses necessary and one day should be enough if you are just on the floor. Prices of comics tend to come down on Sunday, when everybody is getting ready to go home, that is the best time to buy, the floor closes early at 5 however instead of 7.  Third, it still has the best,and I mean the best comic book panels in the universe, some the greatest moments I have been luckily to see with my own eyes, such as the original forbidden planet panel just to name one.

I agree, it has changes but its more like the glass half empty vs half full..still best show on the planet when panels are added in.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, Robot Man said:

Was at WonderCon the past couple of days. Found out that Torpedo is offering an alternative to SDCC. The Sunday before SDCC they are putting on a true comic book show with emphasis on buying and selling comic books. Sunday July 15 at the Hilton LA Airport. 17 major dealers from all over the country have already signed up with more to come.

Comic collectors have gotten sick of SDCC. High prices on everything from hotels, parking, food. Huge crowds that have nothing to do with comics. Comic dealers shrinking and getting crowded out.

Is this a good alternative? Will this be a knife in the back to comics dealing in SDCC? Will SDCC just be the worlds biggest “media” show? 

Seems that smaller comic book centric shows all over the country are finally offering collectors a good alternative to the big expensive shows with very little comics available.

Terry O’Neil’s Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. Is this the future of “Comic “Conventions”?

Some collectors may have gotten sick of the SDCC, but to use that as a general statement is REALLY pushing it considering the SDCC has sold out the last 10 years in a row. Just a few figures from the SDCC:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/comic-con/sd-me-con-numbers-20170715-story.html

10: Consecutive years Comic-Con has sold out.

27: Years Comic-Con has been held in the San Diego Convention Center.

30: Years since the debut of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, now conferred annually at Comic-Con .

48: Years Comic-Con has been held in San Diego.

56: Special guests honored at this year’s Con, from Sergio Aragones (MAD magazine cartoonist) to Liz Suburbia, writer/artist of “Sacred Heart,” a graphic novel for young adults.

300: Estimated attendance at the first Con.

559: Rate, in dollars, for a deluxe king room at the Omni San Diego Hotel for July 19, Preview Night.

10,000: New vinyl folding chairs recently installed in the Convention Center.

62,922: Hotel room nights

130,000-plus: Expected attendance at this year’s Con.

208,894: In dollars, salary of Comic-Con chief operating officer John Rogers in 2014 (the most recent reported year)

2,980,000: In dollars, annual tax revenues

19,800,838: In dollars, total revenues for 2014 (the most recent reported year)

82,800,000: In dollars, annual spending by attendees

140,000,000: In dollars, the current Comic-Con’s estimated economic impact.

Based on those figures, it looks like the SDCC is doing just fine to me. There will always be people that cease going, just as there will always be new people that start attending the show. Based on the fact that the show has sold out the last 10 years running and the annual spending by attendees is equal to roughly $82,800,000....well, I just don't see what your seeing at all. If anything, the biggest changes we have seen with the SDCC is the fact that its become just as big of a show for a lot of other collectibles like statues, toys, figure's, etc, than comics. And I personally consider this a good thing as its turned the show into one massive show for pop culture collectibles in general as opposed to just comics. Considering I collect from many of those genre's of collectibles, I consider that a good thing. I have been to 3 of the last 5 SDCC"s and had an absolute blast at each one. For people who truly love comics and comic related merchandise, there is no other show llke the SDCC. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics