• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

I think the mistake many of you are making in relation to SDCC is that it’s not a comic con. It’s Disneyland dressed as a comic con. Sure you can find other comic shows where the price to come in isn’t as high, or as crowded or hotels nearby aren’t as expensive but by focusing on all the things it isn’t then you miss out on all the things it is. There’s a lot to see, lots to buy (not just comics). If you want a better comic buying show go to Baltimore or Chicago. Heck go to one of the big shows in Canada. This idea that SDCC isn’t a great show is a myth. It’s a great show just not a “comic con” in the sense many would like it to be. 

I’ve been there the past two years and it’s the wonderful and would easily go again if I could.

11 hours ago, wombat said:

I used to have going to SDCC on my bucket list. Not anymore. I've read enough negativity about it. At this point I couldn't even imagine spending all that money before I walked in the door that I could spend on actual comics. 

I still have it on my bucket list (my biggest blocker has been that my job is somewhat seasonal in its insanity, and the highest peak of craziness hits me at the end of July...). But just once. I know it isn't about the comics as much anymore, but I just want to enjoy the experience at least once, see the cosplay on the floor, attend some screenings/panels, all that jazz. I've done NYCC 7 of the last 8 years (and don't plan to stop attending) and have watched that become less about comics and more about everything else, and I've come to keep enjoying it (possibly even enjoying it more now) by just accepting and rolling with that. I hit up more panels, see more screenings, and sweep through the comics area in between those as often as I can (panels = nice breaks sitting down and resting...). I wish it was still more about the comics, but then it wouldn't be the draw that it is.

...it also helps that I can usually barely scrape together a $3-400 budget for myself for spending at NYCC each year, so spending too much time in the vendor area outside of the bargain bins tends to just be a bit painful, heh. Until this year, when I hope my X-Men 1 fund will finally hit its target goal...:wishluck:

On 3/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, Robot Man said:

Yes, they are quitting in droves. You don't live out here and talk to the locals. Most of the older collectors have quit it. These are the bread and butter for dealers. Guys with want lists and cash. Can't take the hassle any more. I went to the 4th one and almost every one since up until about 3 years ago. Just wasn't worth the hassle and expense for a mostly non-comic show. Last one I went to most of the dealers were sharing booths and only bringing their most expensive books. Oh, most of the dealers still show up in some capacity but I think it is more for a vacation rather than making a lot of money. Have to say, I'm over it...

Not sure I agree with this. Maybe some locals have quit. I don't doubt that at all. But many are still coming and it is still the best show in the country. I have done great each of the past few years with my sales actually increasing, not decreasing. And trust me, Nobody is paying the expenses that are incurred for a vacation to San Diego. I could stay anywhere in the country for a month for what it costs me to set up. Its still a great show and a great market. If you are not making money at San Diego, you are doing it wrong. 

And I believe all of the dealers at the Torpedo show will be attending San Diego. So its not really an alternative, its an addition. I am hoping to see several customers who can't get into San Diego at this show. The thing is, the dealers in attendance will only be able to display a small portion of what they bring to San Diego due to table constraints, so while you will get first shot at some material, you still have to go to both shows to get to see everything. 

1 minute ago, Dale Roberts said:

IMO, San Diego is not really that much more expensive than many other shows anymore, at least as an attendee. Its just the battle of trying to get a hotel, etc. Its still a remarkable show and well worth attending.

Yes, you are correct. That was the exact reason, the tickets being the issue in getting one. I had tried in buying online with no luck many times. So I decided to give up and be done. SDCC has to listen with the fire chief with attendance limit for safety. Herce, the number of tickets and people buying being greater in numbers. I had great times in SDCC there, so it is enough for me. By the way, I have no problem with parking there, there is always the transit train going near that show. Hotels is another story...

SDCC by itself is a great show, and is good experience for anyone whom is a first timer. Like Disneyland... without rides. 

51 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

How about the dealers are the attraction

The dealer line up is pretty impressive, I will say.   It's basically my "shopping list" of guys in B'more.

1 hour ago, Dale Roberts said:

IMO, San Diego is not really that much more expensive than many other shows anymore, at least as an attendee. Its just the battle of trying to get a hotel, etc. Its still a remarkable show and well worth attending.

Dale: I agree with you. I attended SDCC 18 out of 20 years in a row after 1989 then got fed up with the ticket lottery, jacked up AirBnB, and sold out hotels, as I have a non-comic book :cry: day job.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

1 hour ago, Dale Roberts said:

Not sure I agree with this. Maybe some locals have quit. I don't doubt that at all. But many are still coming and it is still the best show in the country. I have done great each of the past few years with my sales actually increasing, not decreasing. And trust me, Nobody is paying the expenses that are incurred for a vacation to San Diego. I could stay anywhere in the country for a month for what it costs me to set up. Its still a great show and a great market. If you are not making money at San Diego, you are doing it wrong. 

And I believe all of the dealers at the Torpedo show will be attending San Diego. So its not really an alternative, its an addition. I am hoping to see several customers who can't get into San Diego at this show. The thing is, the dealers in attendance will only be able to display a small portion of what they bring to San Diego due to table constraints, so while you will get first shot at some material, you still have to go to both shows to get to see everything. 

I agree 100% with you Dale. I go to SDCC every year and it's still my favorite con - it has the most comic book dealers than any other con, and they bring their best stock...there's just A LOT of other stuff and A LOT of people. Thankfully I enjoy buying comics and all the other stuff too. As many others have noted, if you are only interested in comics, just go to Terry's show in Yorba Linda.

I'll be skipping TorpedoCon because I'm already traveling to San Diego 3 days later and will see all the dealers there anyway, with more stock. I doubt many people will be extending their SDCC trip to attend the weekend before, but it seems like it'll be an awesome event for locals.

I like this idea a lot and will most likely attend mainly because I want to meet likeminded folks, talk shop and learn a ton without the fluff - I think most of us here share this sentiment. Having said that, how profitable will this show be for the "Finest High End Retailers" as compared to all their online activity - eBay, site auctions, CGC BOARD? Do the benefits of dealing at these shows outweigh all the costs and time? And if so, in what way (minus the marketing/exposure dealers get)?

I am not very optimistic about the show's longevity, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

As a collector, I buy a lot and 95% of my purchases are online. I don't see that changing. In fact, I'm really hoping for tech innovations in our hobby, even disruption to streamlining exchanges between collectors and sellers. Doubt it will happen via collector's show.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

1 hour ago, LoveThemSigs said:

Oregon, Alaska  and New Hampshire?

Hmmm,  Oregon.  Have setup at Portland shows and don't do them any more.

Alaska?  Not happening.

New Hampshire - Not exactly another location I'll be setting up anytime soon.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

So what state doesn't have a sales tax?

Delaware!  :acclaim:

I can almost see it now: The Rehoboth Beach Comic Spectacular.

Edited by namisgr

On 3/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, Cocomonkey said:

I still have it on my bucket list (my biggest blocker has been that my job is somewhat seasonal in its insanity, and the highest peak of craziness hits me at the end of July...). But just once. I know it isn't about the comics as much anymore, but I just want to enjoy the experience at least once, see the cosplay on the floor, attend some screenings/panels, all that jazz. I've done NYCC 7 of the last 8 years (and don't plan to stop attending) and have watched that become less about comics and more about everything else, and I've come to keep enjoying it (possibly even enjoying it more now) by just accepting and rolling with that. I hit up more panels, see more screenings, and sweep through the comics area in between those as often as I can (panels = nice breaks sitting down and resting...). I wish it was still more about the comics, but then it wouldn't be the draw that it is.

...it also helps that I can usually barely scrape together a $3-400 budget for myself for spending at NYCC each year, so spending too much time in the vendor area outside of the bargain bins tends to just be a bit painful, heh. Until this year, when I hope my X-Men 1 fund will finally hit its target goal...:wishluck:

Am I wrong, or did NYCC seem to have a few more comic dealers this year?  I did not spend as much time there this year as past years, had a lot of stuff going on that weekend. Missed sunday entirely.