TWD #1 Museum Edition LE100, Ohio 2004
2 2

156 posts in this topic

12,800 posts
On 4/3/2018 at 2:49 PM, Bowchigabowwow said:

I reached out to Skybound regarding this Book and I did get a response directly from the Horses Mouth: 

"This was never something we put out. We have been in touch with both eBay and now the seller directly. "
 
Brian Huntington
Online Editorial Director
Skybound Entertainment
www.skybound.com
 
I also sent a follow up email asking about PGX and if there is going to be any recourse for "authenticating" a fake book. Waiting to hear back. 
 

Brian says it's not them - @bigclutch is on the case as well. The seller has sold twelve raw by auction in the past couple of months alone... And the picture shows it sitting on a cutting mat like it's a work station. It's counterfeit. And if it isn't one of the "original" counterfeits people are claiming are out there it's probably newly done meaning it's a counterfeit of a counterfeit. :bigsmile:

I'm calling straight BS on it - no need to dance around it, just avoid it.

Edited by BeachBum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,449 posts
19 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I see I opened a real can of worms with my original post... oops. Sorry. But interesting thread nevertheless.

#Love TWD

You should add "COUNTERFEIT" to the original topic title for those who are scrolling by...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281 posts

Quick update for everyone.

This book is a DEFINITE counterfeit. I have one in my possession.

I do believe that the PGX seller had been duped by the original seller.

If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

-shawn

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,800 posts
4 hours ago, bigclutch said:

Quick update for everyone.

This book is a DEFINITE counterfeit. I have one in my possession.

I do believe that the PGX seller had been duped by the original seller.

If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

-shawn

 

Yeah, what this guy said ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
26 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Yeah, what this guy said ? 

(shrug)

Was someone confused that it was authorized? Two Image employees already confirmed it was not.

Edited by ygogolak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,800 posts
8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

(shrug)

Was someone confused that it was authorized? Two Image employees already confirmed it was not.

No, seemed to me someone was trying to explain it away as something from 2004 when it is in fact not and a total fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
8 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

No, seemed to me someone was trying to explain it away as something from 2004 when it is in fact not and a total fraud.

Where was that confirmed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,912 posts
On 3/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, ygogolak said:

I think you mean unauthorized. It's definitely a real comic book.

 

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where was that confirmed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,800 posts
23 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

 

 

What this guy pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281 posts
4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

(shrug)

Was someone confused that it was authorized? Two Image employees already confirmed it was not.

Neither Brian or I are Image employees. We work for Skybound.

-shawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
21 hours ago, cbalroman said:

 

 

 

20 hours ago, BeachBum said:

What this guy pointed out.

(shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,800 posts
18 hours ago, bigclutch said:

Neither Brian or I are Image employees. We work for Skybound.

-shawn

Hello friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,722 posts
On 4/4/2018 at 9:54 AM, ygogolak said:

CGC grades museum editions. Interested to see what they do with this one though.

This may already have been addressed, but no, they do not. They stopped grading them over a decade ago, when they realized that the massive overhang was creating problems inside the slab. There are a few museum editions still in slabs, but they have not slabbed them for a very long time.

The original Museum Editions are legitimate products, created by Bill & Jimmy Jay, in the late 90's, as a marketing gimmick to sell, at the time, Image's unsold inventory. They take those books and either staple the parchment museum cover directly over the regular book, or remove the cover and then add the museum cover. They are legitimate books, with a legitimate market. Some of them are quite valuable. The first one was Stone, and there are a couple of versions of that book. I own the prototype that I bought directly from them.

The non-Jay company Museums, made in Europe, are not as collectible, but they are legitimate.

This Walking Dead is fake through and through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This may already have been addressed, but no, they do not. They stopped grading them over a decade ago, when they realized that the massive overhang was creating problems inside the slab. There are a few museum editions still in slabs, but they have not slabbed them for a very long time.

The original Museum Editions are legitimate products, created by Bill & Jimmy Jay, in the late 90's, as a marketing gimmick to sell, at the time, Image's unsold inventory. They take those books and either staple the parchment museum cover directly over the regular book, or remove the cover and then add the museum cover. They are legitimate books, with a legitimate market. Some of them are quite valuable. The first one was Stone, and there are a couple of versions of that book. I own the prototype that I bought directly from them.

The non-Jay company Museums, made in Europe, are not as collectible, but they are legitimate.

This Walking Dead is fake through and through. 

In the future when you are quoting me can you please provide a flow chart? You seem to have a nack for quoting on sentence that is totally out of context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,722 posts
Just now, ygogolak said:

In the future when you are quoting me can you please provide a flow chart? You seem to have a nack for quoting on sentence that is totally out of context.

This statement doesn't make sense. What does "quoting on sentence" mean? Do you mean "quoting one sentence"? And what are you referring to? I quoted your entire post, two sentences. What do you believe was "taken out of context"? You said, and I quote again: "CGC grades museum editions. Interested to see what they do with this one though.", to which I replied "no, CGC does not grade them." 

You can't just accuse people of "taking you out of context" whenever your mistakes are corrected. Well, you can, but you shouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This statement doesn't make sense. What does "quoting on sentence" mean? Do you mean "quoting one sentence"? And what are you referring to? I quoted your entire post, two sentences. What do you believe was "taken out of context"? You said, and I quote again: "CGC grades museum editions. Interested to see what they do with this one though.", to which I replied "no, CGC does not grade them." 

You can't just accuse people of "taking you out of context" whenever your mistakes are corrected. Well, you can, but you shouldn't.

You quoted one sentence out of an entire thread of conversation.

Are there CGC graded Museum Editions?

Furthermore, you simply repeat information that I have already stated. (European Museum Editions which are still being produced). Making it look like what I have posted is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,324 posts
On 4/3/2018 at 9:16 PM, ygogolak said:

This was produced in 2004, shortly after the original issue came out. The first Image First was not until 2010.

This was not created to capitalize on the value of TWD #1, it was worth that much then.

There would have been no reason to produce something like this in 2004.  WD #1s were floating in the $30-50 range for the first year to year and a half.  It was a hot series, and gathering steam with every issue, but all the buzz was from people actually reading the book.

Also, if these were legit, they would have been known about long ago.  They are just Image First books with a new bogus cover, teamed up with PGX to give it a slimy sheen of legitimacy for the dull, the greedy and the easily duped.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

There would have been no reason to produce something like this in 2004.  WD #1s were floating in the $30-50 range for the first year to year and a half.  It was a hot series, and gathering steam with every issue, but all the buzz was from people actually reading the book.

Also, if these were legit, they would have been known about long ago.  They are just Image First books with a new bogus cover, teamed up with PGX to give it a slimy sheen of legitimacy for the dull, the greedy and the easily duped.

 

(shrug)

I've already addressed this in this very thread.

However, when it was produced has not been confirmed in any way.

 

Edited by ygogolak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,324 posts
3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I've already addressed this in this very thread.

I don't care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,154 posts
Just now, seanfingh said:

I don't care.

Haha, then why quote and respond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2