• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just a few days to go before live Platinum auction on Thursday, and some lots are finally starting to make significant moves:

• Steve Ditko Eon Fanzine #3 Mr. A Splash Page Illustration = $11.3K
    • Pretty strong
  • Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta Thor #126 Splash Page 9 = $50K :o
    • I am not a fan of this one, proportion seems way off and the price is very strong IMHO
  • John Romita Sr. Amazing Spider-Man #61 Cover Original Art = $108K
    • Shouldn't this be at something like $250k
  • Marie Severin, Frank Giacoia, and John Romita Sr. Captain America #132 Cover = $43K
    • Pretty strong and I suspect it isn't done.
  • Frank Brunner and Neal Adams Studios Marvel Premiere #10 Splash Page 1 = $10K
    • Not sure on this one
  • Sam Kieth Marvel Comics Presents #85 Cover = $29K
    • Not a fan of Sam's work
  • Frank Miller and Joe Rubinstein Wolverine (Limited Series) #2 Splash Page 1 = $14K
    • Seems strong and I suspect it isn't done
  • Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 Cover Production Stat = $2.4K :ohnoez:
    • One of thew signs of the end of the world

Inserted my comments

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

John Romita Sr. Amazing Spider-Man #61 Cover Original Art = $108K

• Shouldn't this be at something like $250k

Hmm...not sure if the description regarding condition/conservation has held back some bids, but just in case, here's what HA noted:

"Spider-Man's head in the main image area is an original art paste-up, as are the upper portions of the ropes. The corner box, logo, and cover text are all stat paste-ups. The toned board has production oil stains on the reverse side, but not on the front. Corner crease at upper left. Pinholes. The art has been professionally conserved."

43 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just a few days to go before live Platinum auction on Thursday, and some lots are finally starting to make significant moves:

• Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 Cover Production Stat = $2.4K :ohnoez:

This one isn't done...brace yourselves...

35 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hmm...not sure if the description regarding condition/conservation has held back some bids, but just in case, here's what HA noted:

"Spider-Man's head in the main image area is an original art paste-up, as are the upper portions of the ropes. The corner box, logo, and cover text are all stat paste-ups. The toned board has production oil stains on the reverse side, but not on the front. Corner crease at upper left. Pinholes. The art has been professionally conserved."

You may be right but I was thinking we are at a place where a starter SA Spiderman cover was 1/4 million these days.

Well, it looks like the Aparo Phantom Stranger page is also moving up past predictions. Previously, it could have been bought for $1,000 on CAF or $1,100 on eBay. With BP, it's already past that. I'm not in for that one. 

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

You may be right but I was thinking we are at a place where a starter SA Spiderman cover was 1/4 million these days.

Well, if that were true, then there are some ASM covers on Clink marketplace which you would consider to be bargains (thumbsu

Out of curiosity, does the hobby favor/like one inker over another with regard to Gene Colan's Daredevil work?  Just wondering given the several examples in this auction.

52 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Well, if that were true, then there are some ASM covers on Clink marketplace which you would consider to be bargains (thumbsu

They may be bargains after this auction 

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:

"My job is done here...muhahahahahahahahahaha."

mr-burns-simpsons-01.jpg.01b42aff2ce86feb6be81bb90460f329.jpg

1 hour ago, Andahaion said:

Out of curiosity, does the hobby favor/like one inker over another with regard to Gene Colan's Daredevil work?  Just wondering given the several examples in this auction.

Tom Palmer by a million percent (IMHO).  I don't know about the hobby as a rule though.

Edited by stinkininkin

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:
5 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Tom Palmer by a million percent (IMHO).  I don't know about the hobby as a rule though.

Isnt Tom Palmer the default setting for "Best inker to have" for everyone in his era?

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Isnt Tom Palmer the default setting for "Best inker to have" for everyone in his era?

I have a Paul Ryan Avengers page inked by Palmer, that I don't think is Palmer's best work, let's just say.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have a Paul Ryan Avengers page inked by Palmer, that I don't think is Palmer's best work, let's just say.

Isn't his prime period very late 60s to the end of John Buscema's run on Avengers in 1989 (and some of those second run JB/Palmer Avengers issues are not quite as strong).

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There are two off the beaten track DC covers in this auction that I am eyeballing. One cover is going to end up a bit overpriced (IMHO) due to some news related to the property that recently was announced.

So my dream of getting Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld #1 are now dashed?

8 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Isn't his prime period very late 60s to the end of John Buscema's run on Avengers in 1989 (and some of those second run JB/Palmer Avengers issues are not quite as strong).

Palmer's prime for me was late 60's to early 70's.  Im not into that late run 80's Buscema/Palmer Avengers at all, but that's just subjective on my part.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, comix4fun said:

When this one jumped to $43k last week I looked at it no less than 4 times to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong or missed something in the description that would explain it. 

Wow!  Is it because it's 15 cent silver age cover?  

I mean, just a couple of auction cycles ago, there was a Captain America cover on HA by Kirby, no less, and it only went for 24k with juice - and that was only 1976...  

No way this cover could go *that* much higher, right...?