• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

Just now, Bronty said:

I am guessing there is a cap on what a Lee will really go for. 

Only if you look at the public comps...private is another matter. 

Just now, delekkerste said:

$65,725 for the UXM #248 cover.  I think some people were looking for more, but, I think #248 is more significant as a comic book than it is a great piece of art (no Wolvie, Cyclops, Rogue, etc., no Williams inks, early-and-not-yet-mature-Lee style, etc.) 

All that is true, but it should still be double the FF price, IMO.    Whether that makes the FF too expensive or the Xmen too cheap, I dunno.

Just now, Bronty said:

It was strange to see the FF piece go for almost as much as the Xmen.

I am guessing there is a cap on what a Lee will really go for. 

FF cover went crazy high. I would take the Superman cover any day of the week over it. Also UXM 248 should be worth a lot more than the FF cover. Like I said just weird in relation to each others 

Just now, delekkerste said:

Only if you look at the public comps...private is another matter. 

I'm sure you're right, but you can say that for a lot of artists. 

Just now, Bronty said:

All that is true, but it should still be double the FF price, IMO.    Whether that makes the FF too expensive or the Xmen too cheap, I dunno.

Probably some of both. 

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I think DD 4 was around that price, and DD 2 a little more than that, but DD 1 I believe was at least $4 million, if not more. 

Thanks. I might've also been confusing it with Frost Giants which was up at the same show.

17 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

So my dream of getting Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld #1 are now dashed?

hm

The (likely) overpriced cover I was referring to was the cover to Blackhawk #251 by Dave Cockrum. Due, primarily, to the Spielberg movie announcement. 

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Probably some of both. 

Hey Gene,

Where would Death Dealer 6 rank in terms of overall fine art prices for a piece painted in 1990?

I'm sure 1990 pieces have sold for more, but its still a big number for that vintage even outside of illustration is it not?

Nevermind.   Google tells me some pieces that new and newer are eight figures.    

Still, how many artists I wonder have a piece that's sold for that kind of money that is less than 30 years old

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Hey Gene,

Where would Death Dealer 6 rank in terms of overall fine art prices for a piece painted in 1990?

I'm sure 1990 pieces have sold for more, but its still a big number for that vintage even outside of illustration is it not?

Yes, it's a big number.  Top [some fraction of] 1% for sure.  

I was the underbidder on the only piece I had any interest in (the unpublished Cap #125 cover).  If I was in a non-HA sales tax state, I would have bid it up another couple of increments, but, couldn't justify it with the tax. :frown:

40 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I was the underbidder on the only piece I had any interest in (the unpublished Cap #125 cover).  If I was in a non-HA sales tax state, I would have bid it up another couple of increments, but, couldn't justify it with the tax. :frown:

"Behold the Underbidder!"

6358589580282255171645008781_underminer-o.gif